Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thingster finally back on road, axle length & gas leak
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Thingster finally back on road, axle length & gas leak Reply with quote

Well I finally got the Thingster back on the road. It runs fantastically and the A-1 Thing exhaust is really rorty.
One of the pistons had the rings seized and so I needed new pistons & cylinders on one side.
I also had a noise coming from the transmission, so the tranny was sent back to Rancho Transmissions and they rebuilt it.
Also a new Kennedy stage 2 clutch as the fingers had bent.

Boy do I seem cursed, but everything is running great and I think that my next big trip will be the Mojave Road on Memorial day. I will try to combine that with a trip to Spring Training, and maybe the SF Giants will be World Series Champs.

I went shopping and when I came out there was gasoline pouring out under the Thingster, I carefully opened the hood and found that the return breather line had come off, and I had just filled up, so it was pouring out through the small pipe. I got the line back on, but have 2 questions. Should this line have a hose clamp? and is this because of modern cornfed gasoline, I have had my main gas lines replaced, does this breather kline need replacing with a non-German gas lines.

The other issue is the CV joints. With it lifted the axle seems a little short and the wear is not in the center of the grooves that the balls run in. Custom length axles are about $250 each, so I want to keep a stock axle/CV combination.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: You should have worked for Vw Research and Development! Reply with quote

Hello Sam!

First, Sam we missed ya at Kubeltreffen this year, would have enjoyed seeing you again and hearing about your adventure trips in the THING!

(I understand you had to see the family tho')
sorry to hear of the engine troubles, but as usual;
you fix it only to trek out again!

I'd put a hose clamp on anything fuel related if it were me.
no since in a fire or loads of gas waiting to catch flame, I know you've told stories of that before.

as far as the breather lines, mine are about as old as yours, but they seem to be holding. You can prob get new lines but not sure if it's the same type of plastic, I've gotten clear pvc tubing from lowes/home depot before. If I went local, that'd be my best "guess".
I'd probably check with Ron or Dennis and see if they had a suggestion.

Not sure on the CV joint question.... but from what you state about the lengths, if getting custom lengths would fix it, why not?
(other than price maybe?)

Well, keep it running Sam!
and Good luck with your decision
T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Ron and me try to use the German fuel line which fit tight and most do not require a clamp. We replace all the fuel line in the front and back we replace them because the new gas eats the old rubber up. We use the smell kit from The Thing Shop for the front the kit has all the correct hoses and they fit correct and they solve the gas leak and gas smell problem and we use their gas line. Don't use the rubber after market rubber line it does not fit correct use the braided covered German line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will get some fuel line from TTS.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: