Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dipstick oil temp sender with interior gauge?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
congerz83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Dipstick oil temp sender with interior gauge? Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of discussions about oil temp gauges and sender locations. My oil filtration system does not have the area where most are drilling & tapping to mount the VDO sensor.

I've also heard great things about the Gene Berg dipstick temp sensor.

I want to mount a gauge on my dash. Is there an interior gauge that will work with the dipstick sender?
congerz83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have any experience with THIS...

http://www.justkampers.com/vdo-oil-temperature-gau...-1979.html
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 1960's GM coolant temp sensor that has two poles built in it. When the engine is cold, below 114 degrees the by metal spring grounds to one of the poles which produces a green light on the dash, when the operating temp is normal 114 degrees to 240 degrees the lights are off as the by metal spring makes no contact. If the engine coolant temp rises over 240 degrees the by metal spring bends to the other pole and touches it at 240 degrees turning on the red or hot light.
On my VW's I welded a threaded receiver to the oil strainer and threaded the sensor into it and then wired two lights (red and green) and put them in the dash. I start the cars up and do not drive off until the green light goes out knowing the oil is warmed up sufficiently. If the red light should come on while driving I know the oil temp is over 240 degrees and should pull over to prevent overheating.
FYI you can buy these tiny ( less than 1/4 inch in dia.) led lights from most auto speed shops and the sensor is available at any NAPA store..just ask for a engine coolant temp sensor for a 1962 Pontiac.
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do a search in the classifieds for "save your bug" temp sensor. Those work great and very cheap. Mine works great and i didn't have to add any additional gauges. The idiot lights come on at 225 degrees i believe.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: