Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic does not work..really an adventure in timing
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Automatic does not work..really an adventure in timing Reply with quote

This morning my automatic transmission took about 10 min with car running before it started to work. When I checked the fluid level yesterday it was full. What would cause this?
thanks

Last edited by reluctantartist on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: automatic does not work when cold Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
This morning my automatic transmission took about 10 min with car running before it started to work. When I checked the fluid level yesterday it was full. What would cause this?
thanks

Low fluid pressure when cold....expanding parts with heat can bring pressure up. Its possible that the main pressure is low due to a number of things. You may be able to adjust it as per the Bentley or it could be slipping bands. The bands may need adjusting.....or if the filter is really clogged for some reason....usually only from band material....it may be taking a while to get fluid flow.

I am betting a worn pump. With age they all wear....but usually can be adjuwted to compensate. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out yesterday what the issue was....the timing was off. There is a lot of disinformation out ther on the 412 timing. The clymer and haynes were wrong for the 1974 model 412. I found out on a 914 forum that my red mark was 7.5 btc not 27~29 btc It had a helpful way of figuring out the timing 3.5 fan blades from the bolt is 7.5 btc, 4.5 blades is tdc, and just to the right (driverside of bolt is 27 ~29 btc). Now that I reset my timing it all works now (yes I rechecked the valves). I kept finding info on vw forums refering to the red mark as 27~29 btc. but that is not always the case. It is a lot simpler with my westy.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
I figured out yesterday what the issue was....the timing was off. There is a lot of disinformation out ther on the 412 timing. The clymer and haynes were wrong for the 1974 model 412. I found out on a 914 forum that my red mark was 7.5 btc not 27~29 btc It had a helpful way of figuring out the timing 3.5 fan blades from the bolt is 7.5 btc, 4.5 blades is tdc, and just to the right (driverside of bolt is 27 ~29 btc). Now that I reset my timing it all works now (yes I rechecked the valves). I kept finding info on vw forums refering to the red mark as 27~29 btc. but that is not always the case. It is a lot simpler with my westy.

Wow....awesome find. Yes there has been a lot of timing mark issues. 914 fans that are late have different marks. The 412 late has a single mark.

So if timing was the culprit....that means that the vacuum signature and or rpm was low and was affects the vacuum modulator which affects main pressure. I had the right symptom but the wrong cause. Good to know!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: