Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need advice in a bad way
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaineBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: I need advice in a bad way Reply with quote

So I spent the weekend building my rotisserie for my '67 bus. The front ring of the rotisserie mounts in the typical spot where the front beam attaches. That was no problem - solid as can be. The back however is another story. I was planning to attach to the ends of the rear torsion bar, but until I attached plates and crawled around under there to really look things over, I didn't know just how dire the rust situation is. The frame rails where they pass around the torsion bar are gone. The rest of the rails are fine, but because the previous owner (of 30+ years) had taken the rear wheels off and let the blocks the bus was sitting on sink into the ground, and the belly of the bus sat on the ground for a long time, the frame rails, where they curve up, are gone.

I came up with a Plan B for how to attach the rear ring of my rotisserie, but what has me worried now is that torsion bar. Even though it will be tedious and difficult to rebuild that 3' section of frame rail, it's not impossible. My worry is that I'll rebuild a frame around a junk torsion bar. How will I know if the torsion bar is junk? If it is junk, what can I do? It's probably not exactly an easily replaced item. Has anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have. I sure need some happy thoughts here.

-Jamie
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking out loud here:

* Some people have replaced the whole rear frame area (including torsion) with good one cut from a less rusty bus.

* The torision tube should not have any holes etc, you can remove the leaves ( I think ) and thoroughly inspect the inside of it . To the best of my knowledge the only thing that could be wrong is too weak ( ie. holes, damaged inside ) or bad leaves ( doubtful even on a rotted bus ).

No need for despair yet Razz , just be safe in supporting the bus if you decide to repair the frame rails around the torision tube . I think have noticed (in pictures) some rotiserries also somehow clamp to the roof?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear torsion tube contains torsion bars, one for each side. It is extremely important that the bars have absolutely no rust and that the tube interior is clean, rust free, and without holes. Since your bus spent considerable time with the torsion tube on the ground, it should be disassembled and thoroughly inspected. Replacemnt bars are available, if needed. The tube is the key. It might be easier, in the long run, to consider a rear suspension clip if you find the tube to be questionable.

Last edited by olliehank47 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the only thing to do is get out your icepick and stab every square inch of tube weld area. Having looked carefully at my fully blasted and primed double cab's underbelly-I was pleased to have such a good report from the dentist. Mine is supported at the torsion tube brackets- with 3 bolts each side. I'd bet the metal there is beefy enough to support the weight of two buses even with a compromised (rusty) welded area.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
MaineBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the thoughts so far guys. olliehank47, you mention considering a rear suspension clip. Do you mean cut the rear section out of another bus, or can you buy a reproduction version? The idea of cutting up another splittie doesn't make much sense to me. Of course it would be just as much of a sin to cut up a bay window or Vanagon, but those are about 100 times more plentiful around here. I wonder how similar the rear suspension is in those compared with a Splittie.

-Jamie
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a couple fir sale:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaineBus wrote:
... you mention considering a rear suspension clip. Do you mean cut the rear section out of another bus, or can you buy a reproduction version? The idea of cutting up another splittie doesn't make much sense to me. ... I wonder how similar the rear suspension is in those compared with a Splittie.

-Jamie

I "retired", oh okay, cut up an otherwise "solid" bus precisely because the chassis was so corroded that it was coming apart. The right side torsion tube was replaced including about a foot forward and another foot rearward of the chassis from it. Had to eventually patch that fix as well as the other side which was also suffering from the same corrsion issue. Confused

Once I got my current bus, upon transferreing the running gear from one to the other, it was determined that the chassis was simply too unsafe to be put back on the road. So the bus was sacrficed in order to save others. Wink

The '67 and early torsion tubes are different than '68 and later. I'm sure there are some rear clips out there to be had. Good luck! Cool
MaineBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Seeing the rear clips for sale is very reassuring. I guess anything is available if you know where to look.

-Jamie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: