Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window Trim Installation
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebullseye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Window Trim Installation Reply with quote

I'm getting close to the point of removing all the glass in my 72 Square to get her painted. Afterwards is the fun job of putting her back together.

I want to keep the original look with the chrome trim on all windows (sides, front and rear).

I've been told that even when buying new seals with the grooves and new trim that matches those grooves, it is very hard to install this trim and that it requires a special tool.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Thanks

Writer and Independent Publishing Consultant in the DC suburbs: www.johnhmatthews.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there is a tool to do it, that's news to me

yes, it can be a pain in the ass to get that trim in the rubber, the rubber on the window, and the window on the car.

there isn't much that I don't do, windows are something I would rather just pay someone to do. Maybe that's just me
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No special tool needed. Line up the trim with the seal on the glass, start inserting the trim in a corner, and work your way around. Not as hard as most people make it out to be. I wouldn't use any lubricants when installing the trim into the seal, as it might make it easier for the trim to come out on its own. If you get stuck, I'll try to walk you through it.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebullseye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

Writer and Independent Publishing Consultant in the DC suburbs: www.johnhmatthews.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type3nut64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
No special tool needed. Line up the trim with the seal on the glass, start inserting the trim in a corner, and work your way around. Not as hard as most people make it out to be. I wouldn't use any lubricants when installing the trim into the seal, as it might make it easier for the trim to come out on its own. If you get stuck, I'll try to walk you through it.

listen to this guy he helped me through getting mine done. its a pain but not that hard the second, third time you do it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windshield is tricky, but the flat glass (and hatch glass) are not hard. Search for hints on using painter's tape to hold the seal and trim on the glass, lube the wire, and have at least one assistant handy.

I like the ISP west seals... they have the proper, thicker, Type 3 profile.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Trim Installation Reply with quote

bluebullseye wrote:

I've been told that even when buying new seals with the grooves and new trim that matches those grooves, it is very hard to install this trim and that it requires a special tool.

No special tools required, but I like having/using a "glaziers stick" for assisting on getting the seals to sit right. I don't just use it for glass, I use it for turn signal seals and tail light seals too.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
68notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Trim Installation Reply with quote

Any tips on removing window trims from front and rear windscreens.

I just had a quick go at mine but the alloy trim seems so soft and easy to bend I thought there must be a way??

68 Aussie notch
2011 Citroen Berlingo

https://www.facebook.com/Fastacraft

RHD dash pad project http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=475227
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Window Trim Installation Reply with quote

it takes patience and strong fingers. Well worth the effort. You can do it just take your time.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Window Trim Installation Reply with quote

68notch wrote:
Any tips on removing window trims from front and rear windscreens.

I just had a quick go at mine but the alloy trim seems so soft and easy to bend I thought there must be a way??

I know I'll get crucified, but cut the seal on the inside, and remove the glass with seal. Then you can remove the trim. It may be easier to remove the seal from the glass first, then remove the trim.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
68notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Trim Installation Reply with quote

I could cut the rubbers as you say and may do yet. There are new ones to come.

I think the trims are also a little stuck with decades of dirt and %$@&? Putting the trims back into fresh new rubbers may be easier than taking them out??

Thanks.

68 Aussie notch
2011 Citroen Berlingo

https://www.facebook.com/Fastacraft

RHD dash pad project http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=475227

Last edited by 68notch on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Trim Installation Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

I know I'll get crucified, but cut the seal on the inside, and remove the glass with seal. Then you can remove the trim. It may be easier to remove the seal from the glass first, then remove the trim.

This is pretty much the only way I've ever been able to get them out myself...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: