Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2275 width and head stud length
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: 2275 width and head stud length Reply with quote

How much wider would a Type 1 2275 (82x94mm) with stroker pistons and 5.4" rods be than a stock 1600? Are the 1/2" longer head studs sold a necessity? How important is the quality of the 8mm head studs?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2275 width and head stud length Reply with quote

you need the longer head studs if you are using a 5.7" rod or longer. Stock length is fine for your build.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with john for the most part( there is always an exception somewhere) and on usual builds. but it is wize to mock up & check before locktighten the studs..... been there done that. triming is a bitch once there stuck. and even on some with std studs and some rockers they have slight interfearance with 2 rockers on each head(1ex&2in,3in,4ex if my memory is worken) some clear at closed but when lifting they contact the stud. there are many things to be checked when building a motor,this is just 2 of them.good luck
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 2275 with 5.400 rods, I only had to shim the barrels .030, so it was just barely barely wider than stock.
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to shim mine 90 thou, so as Mark says, You have to mock it up. But my 2276 is only 1/16th or so wider than stock.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2275 width and head stud length Reply with quote

Northof49 wrote:
How much wider would a Type 1 2275 (82x94mm) with stroker pistons and 5.4" rods be than a stock 1600? Are the 1/2" longer head studs sold a necessity? How important is the quality of the 8mm head studs?

2mm wider per side, assuming heads not cut deeper.

Often have to shorten the stock studs to clear rockers and manifolds!
VW made them longer than they need to be,
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: