Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

mystery button on steering column
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RocketBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: mystery button on steering column Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On my 84 1.9l there is a mystery button I think. I dont see it in the bentleys anyway... anybody have an idea what It may be used for or am I best to just follow the wires?

80 Vanagon Camper ASI Riveria - subaru 2.2 conversion project. 1993 Subary legacy donor car + Riveria = AWESOME!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't touch it, its the ejector seat.
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok seriously. Its not factory so you will have to trace the wires. Judging by the wiring mess alongside you will probably want to remove it.
RocketBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I was wondering about that.... both the ejector seat and if it was factory. Thankx

80 Vanagon Camper ASI Riveria - subaru 2.2 conversion project. 1993 Subary legacy donor car + Riveria = AWESOME!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OhChit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Bet is it's for your Radiddo, aka Radio. To operate it with Key off Hot when Van's not running while camping or just Chilling.

Turn the Radio on, turn the Key off. Press the Button to see if the Radio still works while Keys off..

BTW make sure the Radio on/off switch is powered on 1st.. Shocked
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no... that button is for the EXTRA POWER...

did you try to climb a big hill and hit that button yet?

Very Happy

try that but be careful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oKSJZAaSyc

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is the self destruct button.

I know of someone restoring an old Israeli half track, it had a funny button under the dash, never found in US version of the half track (Israel obtained many used wwii vehicles including half tracks, they even manufactured their own rubber treads as OEM replacements ran out!)
The restorer found out it the switch was put in by the Israeli military and pressing it would short out much of the electrical system, bypassing fuses, melting the harness!!! This self destruct button was to be used in case capture, or if vehicle had to be abandoned and likely to fall into enemy hands.

Now do not touch that button!!!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
it is the self destruct button.

I know of someone restoring an old Israeli half track, it had a funny button under the dash, never found in US version of the half track (Israel obtained many used wwii vehicles including half tracks, they even manufactured their own rubber treads as OEM replacements ran out!)
The restorer found out it the switch was put in by the Israeli military and pressing it would short out much of the electrical system, bypassing fuses, melting the harness!!! This self destruct button was to be used in case capture, or if vehicle had to be abandoned and likely to fall into enemy hands.

Now do not touch that button!!!!!

You know, some of the radio installations I've seen will do the same thing to the harness as that switch the Isrealis put in if you just give it some time... Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: