Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW motorcycle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: You guys say you want more? Youse guys are SIK ! Reply with quote

Here ya go VIDEO !

This was its first fire! Still on the lift. I hadn't changed out the alt belt yet. But it's a frontal view of the motor running and the fan spinning. YEP ! I was excited! Normally I wouldn't leave an almost 1,000 lb bike high on a lift, running, next to my 64 Chevelle 2 door wagon. Living on the edge I guess at that moment? VW stuff is what trips my trigger !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8RHUQT_JTQ&feature=youtu.be

Take it for a ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6pzBz8caPE
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's terrific!

Thank you for posting that. Sounds great. Need to get that speedo workin'!

When I fired my Guzzi project on the lift recently it scooted the lift forward and sideways, then the bike nearly exited the lift entirely. Runaway!

Couple side notes: Is that slight scraping noise one of the discs, or a tire rubbing on a fender stay?
Also the image stabilization makes it look like one has entered the Vodka Vacuum. Groovy.

Really cool!
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
That's terrific!

Thank you for posting that. Sounds great. Need to get that speedo workin'!

When I fired my Guzzi project on the lift recently it scooted the lift forward and sideways, then the bike nearly exited the lift entirely. Runaway!

Couple side notes: Is that slight scraping noise one of the discs, or a tire rubbing on a fender stay?
Also the image stabilization makes it look like one has entered the Vodka Vacuum. Groovy.

Really cool!

This was the first ride I ever rode the bike. I rode 1/10 of a mile, I turn to go back so I can start the video and the speedo goes WONK! It's in the head. Cable still spins. I have only ridden it maybe 8 miles since. Pushed in and out of the garage and trailer way too many times tho. NO ROOM FOR NUTTIN!

I know better than to fire the bike on the lift at height. I had it strapped on all four corners but that don't mean nuttin, as you found out.

The sound? When I rode the 2/10ths of mile and came back to do the video I grabbed the front brake and pulled back real hard to put it on the side stand and that was enough pressure to get the caliper to move and rub the hub. I fixed that right away.They use hand made shims with angles. Basically take a fat washer and grind it almost flat on one end and leave the other thick and use them on the caliper mounts. Once installed properly to keep the caliper straight, along with too much caliper bolt hole opening on the fork leg where it holds the caliper.

I am not a Computer /You Tube Guru. You Tube says something like "Wanna stabilize this shakey video push here?" Go figure I would push someones button!
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you don't ever change the condition of the paint, and the K/Q saddle is just off the hook, it's perfect.

Now go ride the heck out of it! Eight miles ain't enough.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet bike. Looks like you could cruise all day in total comfort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
Sweet bike. Looks like you could cruise all day in total comfort.

Maybe most could ride all day in comfort.

I prefer the sport or upright riding positions. I am not use to pull back bars and floor boards with a sissy bar type seat. So its an adjustment for me to ride this style, let alone almost 1,000 pounds of bike. It reminds me so much of my Brother Sportster he got when he got back from Viet Nam, just a bunch heavier albeit with the VW motors feel and sound. No Potato-Potato here.
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
Hope you don't ever change the condition of the paint, and the K/Q saddle is just off the hook, it's perfect.

Now go ride the heck out of it! Eight miles ain't enough.

I don't plan on painting it. Just keep it running and ride it.

I actually took it to a vintage motorcycle show recently. I took it out just so it could be seen, I don't care about the plaques and trophies. But it was funny, I put it in the un-restored class (only one it fit in) a guy walks up and says their gonna judge your bike here soon so be close by. I said why? He says "they don't have a clue WTF this is???? Or how rare this is to see in the USA". I respect what he told me, that was very kind on his part. I sat in my chair as most owners do right behind the bike iffin they had questions, more fun to watch the judges scratch their collective noggins and watch their heads swing left and right (meaning, I don't know or $#!T never seen or heard of such a bike) as they move along. Again I applaud those that judge. I love that I live where we all have choices. Heck I still can see the contorted faces. Priceless!
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: You guys say you want more? Youse guys are SIK ! Reply with quote

2weel wrote:
Here ya go VIDEO !

Take it for a ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6pzBz8caPE

I saw you roll through that first stop sign. Don't deny it. There is no excuse for selective obedience of the law, you -- you SCOFFLAW! Karma will catch up with you someday with a $234 fine. Wink
http://www.2fixyourtrafficticket.com/what-is-the-cost-of-22450-a-vc-violation-in-california.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the ticket! Roll up on a bike that makes everyone's brains grind to a halt.
Now then, show us more of the Butterfield, please.
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
That's the ticket! Roll up on a bike that makes everyone's brains grind to a halt.
Now then, show us more of the Butterfield, please.

Actually I am working on it right now. I will put pic's up when I get on the road. I am rebuilding the clutch and adding a cool 1/4 like fairing hand made from metal in Germany and adding some Enduro bags and may change the pipes out.

I have two M/C Lifts so both bikes are getting worked on at the same time. It's gonna be months. I am also doing other preventive maintenance like sealing the tanks and other stuff.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2weel wrote:

Actually I am working on it right now. I will put pic's up when I get on the road. I am rebuilding the clutch and adding a cool 1/4 like fairing hand made from metal in Germany and adding some Enduro bags and may change the pipes out.

I have two M/C Lifts so both bikes are getting worked on at the same time. It's gonna be months. I am also doing other preventive maintenance like sealing the tanks and other stuff.

Furreals? Enduro bags? Excellent! I have a set I got for one of the BMWs about 20 years ago along with a proper Avon Avonaire fairing but have not repaired/painted/installed either.

Okey-doke then, get after it. Would like to see that fairing. Izzit Evan Wilcox-like?
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furreals? Enduro bags? Excellent! I have a set I got for one of the BMWs about 20 years ago along with a proper Avon Avonaire fairing but have not repaired/painted/installed either.

Okey-doke then, get after it. Would like to see that fairing. Izzit Evan Wilcox-like?[/quote]

Bad pic's, I took them when the fairing arrived. But it will give the idea of shape. All metal hand shaped 1/4 Fairing with the shield I haven't drilled or installed yet.

Front

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Side

Uno Mas

&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that's gorgeous. Top-drawer stuff. Who did the fabricating? The striping looks right on the money.
That with the Enduro bags- and the friggin' VW engine- is going to make folks' skulls cave in at the first show or ride-in you attend. Fantastic!
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Yahoo group dedicated to VW motorcycles. Some other conversions were Needler and Willis (people who made them) usually on BMW chases but occasionally on goldwings or Urals.
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just us buses wrote:
There is a Yahoo group dedicated to VW motorcycles. Some other conversions were Needler and Willis (people who made them) usually on BMW chases but occasionally on goldwings or Urals.

Just to add a little more to your post about Yahoo groups and VW powered motorcycles. The exact group name for those that want to come over and look is: "VWMOTORCYCLES" in Yahoo groups.

If you want to see some really cool VW powered motorcycles that are not trikes but actually two wheeled VW powered motorcycles it's the site to go to. Go into the picture section, scrolling thru is a fun thing to do for a quick idea of what is going on.

Butterfields, Willis 4's, Webley/Vickers, Hamm, Burkey the list goes on. It is the best place to find info on TWO (2) wheel powered VW bikes on the net.

I just added an Amazonas to the pic's in the photo section that I recently picked up and now is a runner again. Amazonas motorcycles were made in Brazil and use a VW type 1 with a VW transmission. Gives you a chain driven four speed with reverse. If you go look? Most I think will enjoy the site!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: