Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wiper motor worth salvaging?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravo1616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: wiper motor worth salvaging? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is salvageable.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
bravo1616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should the armature spin freely, its tough to turn ... any idea where to find detailed info on repairing a 69 wiper motor, i have manuals and have searched but none detailed for my year.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a simple electric motor, there's not many parts. Unless some wires got damaged or disconnected all it likely needs is just a good cleaning.
Motor shaft should spin freely, it rides on two bushings and the brushes should only lightly make contact.

Pull it apart, remove and replace all the old grease, and put it back together. The only wear pieces should be the motor brushes, if it looks like there's still some life left leave 'em be. If there's only nubs left you'll have to replace.

Really it all comes apart fairly easily, only part you have to pay attention to are the brushes. They'll pop out when you remove the rotor and the springs are light, flighty little things.

(image borrowed from the gallery, I just scrawled on it)

If you haven't already, do the same for the rest of the wiper assembly.
Mine seized up on me, took a few hours soaking in PBlaster to free it. Got everything apart, cleaned it up, greased, and plopped it back in. Working great now.
bravo1616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
It's a simple electric motor, there's not many parts. Unless some wires got damaged or disconnected all it likely needs is just a good cleaning.

thanks windfish, the wires are intact, but how do i clean that black off the rotor (armature) .... also i'm having a tough time getting that part off the motor that is connected to the assembly, is that the side of the motor where the grease goes, I'm not familiar with all the names of the parts in the motor, and i'm pretty sure that photo of the motor with the arrows you posted is an earlier motor than mine, mine is a 69 bug Smile

thanks for any other info you can provide, as i would really like to try and fix this myself.
Amy
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bravo1616 wrote:
windfish wrote:

thanks windfish, the wires are intact, but how do i clean that black off the rotor (armature) .... also i'm having a tough time getting that part off the motor that is connected to the assembly, is that the side of the motor where the grease goes, I'm not familiar with all the names of the parts in the motor, and i'm pretty sure that photo of the motor with the arrows you posted is an earlier motor than mine, mine is a 69 bug Smile

thanks for any other info you can provide, as i would really like to try and fix this myself.
Amy

That black is probably graphite from the bushes. Blow off as much as you can with compressed air, and if it's stuck hard or stained try rubbing with an eraser or try gasoline/diesel/acetone etc. If nothing really works don't worry too much, it should not cause a problem as it conducts electricity. You could give it a very light sanding with 1000 grit to just remove the buildup but stop once you come to the metal.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, interesting. A lot of the parts are shared between the '69 and '70, but my wiper assembly looks like this - [link]
Yours is apparently one of these - [link]
Same idea, just a different layout.

They make electric motor cleaner spray, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe gently wipe it with a cloth (don't harm the insulation).
From the pictures it just looks like a bit of grime, probably from the brushes like Volks said, and won't affect the motor much.
If the winding is actually burnt then it's probably easier to check the classifies for another motor.

btw, picture with electric motor parts labeled - [link]
I was thinking of the whole inner unit when I said rotor; did a quick google search and people call things by various names, so whichever.

Anyways, I'd start by pulling apart the rest of the wiper assembly.
The two outer bolts (where the wiper blades attach) were where mine was having issues, get those moving freely and then see if your motor is still having problems running (I'm assuming that's why you're poking it, slow or non-moving wiper blades).
bravo1616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
Ah, interesting. A lot of the parts are shared between the '69 and '70, but my wiper assembly looks like this - [link]
Yours is apparently one of these - [link]
Same idea, just a different layout.

They make electric motor cleaner spray, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe gently wipe it with a cloth (don't harm the insulation).
From the pictures it just looks like a bit of grime, probably from the brushes like Volks said, and won't affect the motor much.
If the winding is actually burnt then it's probably easier to check the classifies for another motor.

btw, picture with electric motor parts labeled - [link]
I was thinking of the whole inner unit when I said rotor; did a quick google search and people call things by various names, so whichever.

Anyways, I'd start by pulling apart the rest of the wiper assembly.
The two outer bolts (where the wiper blades attach) were where mine was having issues, get those moving freely and then see if your motor is still having problems running (I'm assuming that's why you're poking it, slow or non-moving wiper blades).

yeah i already pulled the motor with the assembly attached and the assembly moves pretty well, do i put grease on the moving parts or just something like wd40, i replaced the switch and the wipers still didnt work so thats why i thought it was the motor. i'll try cleaning the motor up, where do you put grease?

also i couldnt get the circled part off the motor, do i need to get inside that side of the motor?

thanks again windfish
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40 is alright to free stuff with, but there are better lubricants, and grease is what you want to use here.
I used whatever multipurpose grease was in my grease gun.

You should remove as much of the old grease from the gearbox as possible then repack. If you get the rotor/armature out you should clean both ends and lightly grease where it'll ride on the bushings.
You can also use some fine-grade sandpaper to clean the 'communicator' where the brushes ride

I'm not familiar with that style motor setup :/
Someone else with that style wiper motor may chime in.
It looks like the old style here - [link], but I don't see the four screws in your picture...
If you've got a Bentley service manual they should have an exploded view in the Electrical section. My manual starts at 1970 and has the barrel-style motor. If you don't yet have a Bentley it's a worthy purchase.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you need a new armature. If the windings overheat and burn off the insulation they short together and can fling out of their slots. That's only fixable with rewinding or replacement. Rewinding is seldom practical or affordable for a small motor.
bravo1616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
It looks like you need a new armature. If the windings overheat and burn off the insulation they short together and can fling out of their slots. That's only fixable with rewinding or replacement. Rewinding is seldom practical or affordable for a small motor.

okay thanks.
bravo1616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
WD40 is alright to free stuff with, but there are better lubricants, and grease is what you want to use here.
I used whatever multipurpose grease was in my grease gun.

You should remove as much of the old grease from the gearbox as possible then repack. If you get the rotor/armature out you should clean both ends and lightly grease where it'll ride on the bushings.
You can also use some fine-grade sandpaper to clean the 'communicator' where the brushes ride

I'm not familiar with that style motor setup :/
Someone else with that style wiper motor may chime in.
It looks like the old style here - [link], but I don't see the four screws in your picture...
If you've got a Bentley service manual they should have an exploded view in the Electrical section. My manual starts at 1970 and has the barrel-style motor. If you don't yet have a Bentley it's a worthy purchase.

hey windfish, i have the bentley manual but it has the older style motor in it like the last link you sent. I pulled apart the motor and will get some grease tomorrow, also i will see if the local shop has an armature otherwise i will have to order it online, the brushes look okay just no fun trying to get them with the springs back in their housings.
I'm still not sure how to get into the other side of the motor where the gears are since i can't get the assembly off the other side, maybe someone with the same style will reply soon.

thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it and have learned some new stuff here Smile
Amy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: