Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"How to keep your Volkswagen alive" Editions
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: "How to keep your Volkswagen alive" Editions Reply with quote

I am shopping for a copy of Muir's "How to keep your Volkswagen alive," and I see that there are several different editions out there.

I can't find any information on possible differences between the editions, and have to assume that it truly is publication runs rather than revisions to content that differentiate them all.

Can anyone tell me if I am right or wrong with this assumption?
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The later editions include more information. They have these really helpful sections at the end of the book for troubleshooting. I think the latest is 19th edition, which I've found very helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Matt is right. If you're buying the book to use it, and not as a collection piece, look for the latest edition you can find. Wink
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many VWs do you have?

The later versions get really complicated with all the various Types shuffled together. If you have a Bug, Bus, or Ghia, go for something like the '70 edition (not sure exactly which-- the last one before they added the Types 3 & 4).

If you have more recent models or several different models, the latest is best.

I suppose you could buy the latest, then use a highlighter to block out the models you don't care about.

My view is that the original, clean Muir is simple and gets you going, and does well for the maintenance work. But if you want more sophisticated reading, go for the Bentley instead of a later Muir. That combo covers everything.
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
How many VWs do you have?

The later versions get really complicated with all the various Types shuffled together. If you have a Bug, Bus, or Ghia, go for something like the '70 edition (not sure exactly which-- the last one before they added the Types 3 & 4).

If you have more recent models or several different models, the latest is best.

I suppose you could buy the latest, then use a highlighter to block out the models you don't care about.

My view is that the original, clean Muir is simple and gets you going, and does well for the maintenance work. But if you want more sophisticated reading, go for the Bentley instead of a later Muir. That combo covers everything.

I am working on my first, a 69 Squareback. I bought the Bentleys guide already, and wanted to add this to my library.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, the Muir books were never all that great with Type 3 cars. There are errors and omissions, few of which were corrected in the later editions. It's okay for the basics if you are learning about this car. Just be sure to check BOTH books before starting a procedure. In this case, you may as well get the latest edition. It is bound, so you may want to take it to a book binder and have them drill it for a 3-ring binder, and slice off the binding. It will last longer and be easier to use if you do.
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss the spiral bound editions.

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral bound was great for laying on the floor next to where you were working, but fell apart easier with use and abuse.

I have the copy I bought in the 70s on my bookshelf in the house, and a later copy in the garage to get dirty. Honestly I don't use it much, but like having it around when I want a 'dummies guide' type explanation of whatever I'm working on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modernbeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an early spiral bound copy with some crude, hand drawn illustrations in it. From memory it was illustrated by Muir before Peter came onboard.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modernbeat wrote:
I've got an early spiral bound copy with some crude, hand drawn illustrations in it. From memory it was illustrated by Muir before Peter came onboard.

Got some scans of those drawings?

My earliest version had the thicker-pen drawings that were much less precise than the later thin-line drawings that were more technically accurate. I suspect the former are what you are talking about. They may well be pre-Peter since their style is a little different. Or maybe Peter just used a new pen! Wink
grnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pb_foots wrote:
Spiral bound was great for laying on the floor next to where you were working, but fell apart easier with use and abuse.

I have the copy I bought in the 70s on my bookshelf in the house, and a later copy in the garage to get dirty. Honestly I don't use it much, but like having it around when I want a 'dummies guide' type explanation of whatever I'm working on.

This is exactly what I want it for. This is my first foray into restoring a car, and the baser the better for me.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the new editions can be spiral bound for a small fee at fed ex kinkos
You want an original? Ck out amazon.com or eBay they sell used.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: