Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dip your van
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanMurph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Plastidip on my old faded window seals... Worked great and still looks great after 10 months. I am careful when washing the van not to scrub that area too much.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used it to black out the windows on a truck topper. Worked great for that because it can be peeled off if I want clear windows again.
Smpkns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the body molding on my wolfsburg. It is holding up well. I did 3 coats.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rsbones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea! Did you have to prep the moldings or will the plastidip just cover up all the peeling clear coat and whatnot and come out looking good? Also, how many coats and how many gallons did it take?
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some prep work involved, I don't think it will turn out well or stick well if you have peeling clear or other surface issues.
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smpkns wrote:

The problem with multiple coats is when it gets hit by a shopping cart or some dimwit's door (and you know it will) you can't just sand it down and re-paint. You may have a gouge or scrape that cannot be easily repaired.
Ask me how I know.
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smpkns wrote:

Did you use it on the window slider? That was my plan for using it.

Cheers!
mekanism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought about dipping all of my interior parts if I do a color change. This way if I ever sell my van the new owner can just peel it all off without damaging the original surfaces if they dont like the color. It would be perfect for the interior as it isnt glossy, great for a an ugly brown dash.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These comments are pretty interesting.

I wanted to see what my Rhein wheels would look like black. I decided if I liked the look I would get them powder coated or prep and paint myself. One of my friends suggested to "dip" them and if I didn't like it, peel it off.

I photo shopped the wheels black, liked the look, then went to WalMart and got 4 cans of black plasti dip paint. I cleaned the wheels very well as suggested in a YouTube video, and applied 5 coats of plasti dip. I did remove the wheels to make it easier to get an even coating on all (5)five wheels.

Link

That was a couple months ago. I loved the look and so far I have not had any issues with it peeling off even when muddy and taken to a pressure wash. Since I tried this another friend painted his F150 wheels and has no issues either.

I am sure if I tried to pressure wash it off you can get under the coating and get it to come off. I did not mask the wheels but did like it said in the video and applied 5 coats and just made sure it was thick on the tires too. Once dry it peeled from the tires like Elmer's glue off your hand but it stopped at the crack between the wheel and the rubber tire.

I have a couple thousand miles of dirt, mud, and highway on them with only a couple little rock chips on the rear wheels. A touch up with the end of a pointed brush and the chips are gone.

If it holds up well, I might just keep this and save the powder coating $$ Idea

Link

They make this in clear and I was thinking it would be a great "Winter" cover for the seams on the van. This would seal off the outsides from salt in our neck of the woods. I tried a sample spot on a scrap car panel and as long as you put a few coats on, it peels off clean.

There are a few people who dip the front of their cars clear when driving to car shows and peel off when there. Being a rubberized coating it does help keep rock chips at bay, and bugs just peel off.

I have also heard of some not so good results also. Rolling Eyes

But for me, so far, so good! Cool

Here is just dipped.

Here is a couple months and a couple thousand miles of driving.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ripvanagonwinkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jael! Real world experiences are appreciated. Those look awesome, and it doesn't look like you baby them. Did you pressure wash it just to see if it would hold up? Or do you think you will always pressure wash them?

Syncro Jael wrote:
These comments are pretty interesting.

I wanted to see what my Rhein wheels would look like black. I decided if I liked the look I would get them powder coated or prep and paint .....

chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we bought the wife's GTI a few weeks back, there was a very purty C63 mercedes that was calling my name. Seems it was just traded in on a Jetta sportwagon?

Anyway, the car was previously sprayed a horrendous blue with this dip stuff and although they attempted to remove it, there were remnants of it EVERYWHERE. Like overspray after a quickie Maaco paint special.

Did not stop me from taking her for a ride though. Im still wearing a perma grin.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some wheels. I liked SyncroJael's results.

Bought this stuff:

Started with this:

Ended up with this:

I think it came out pretty sharp looking.

I did 5 light coats matte black dip, and 2 light coats of "glossifier." I allowed about 8min between coats of dry time (in Denver, where the air is dry). I used about 3/4 can dip per wheel, and maybe 1 1/2 cans of glossifier total for the five wheels. The DipYouCar site recommended a full can of dip per wheel, and for a truly glossy finish about 3/5 can glossifer per wheel. I was aiming for a more semi-gloss, and so skimped on the glossifier.

I did the job while rotating.... one wheel at a time basically... To speed up the whole process, I put the wheels back on, wet, taking great care not to touch the freshly dipped surface. I did not want to wait 8hr (full dry time) before swapping out the next wheel. With one jack, and 5 wheels, you can have 2 wheels off at a time... one that you are cleaning up to be dipped, and one that you are dipping... if that makes any sense..

I suspect the look/durability would be the same if I had done more dip coats, but peeling the dip would be easier with a more robust dip depth. I stopped at 5 coats anyhow.

Winter is approaching... I'll report back in the spring with durability info.

FWIW, the Brake Dust Cleaner junk works really well, FYI... best brake dust cleaner spray I've run across. Smells toxic... but works well..

Last edited by DeadSetMonkey on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Sixray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about doing a white full body spray with my van. The dark red color is nice and in pretty good shape, but honestly it's not my style and it gets hot hot HOT in the sun, which makes sleeping not all that easy once the sun starts rising.

Anyone have any experience or pictures with doing a full coat? I've seen it looking pretty sharp on some Bimmers and various rice rockets around here.
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sixray wrote:
I was thinking about doing a white full body spray with my van. The dark red color is nice and in pretty good shape, but honestly it's not my style and it gets hot hot HOT in the sun, which makes sleeping not all that easy once the sun starts rising.

Anyone have any experience or pictures with doing a full coat? I've seen it looking pretty sharp on some Bimmers and various rice rockets around here.

I have a work colleague who has dipped several modern cars and trucks.

The clean lines for a good end result depends a lot on the junctions between panels and trim/windows.

Our vans have lots of rubber gaskets, and other trim/body work that would make a full van dip quite a challenge to pull off. For instance, the junction of the window seal and body panel is not enough to allow an easy peel of the overspray from the window... and so would require masking tape. But, peeling the masking tape would have to be timed exactly perfect to not peel up the dip on the panel... just wet enough to separate, not dry enough to tug off the dip on the body panel... if that makes sense. And the masking tape lines would have to be near perfect to get the same result that one gets when there is a clean break int he surface from the body panel to window (like in a modern car).

He was not saying it's impossible to get a good result, just really tough... much tougher than a 'modern' vehicle.
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having done emblems on our Jetta, I don't recommend plasti dip for anything larger. I've had some customers come in with wheels after trying to remove the dip, it's a baked on mess. Had to sand blast them...
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sixray wrote:

When I tinted the windows and went to the satin white from the dark green... what a difference in the sun/heat. Unless the van is parked head on facing the sun, it is much cooler, and makes life for the AC much easier to cool it off.
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my grills a couple of weeks ago. Looks great. I'll snap some pics tomorrow.
baru16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I installed my black Stripe-Kit & Logos, I Plastic-Dipped both Grills, VW Logos, Lower Body, Bumpers and rear engine cooling grills. Still looks good.

Vanagon 91' 2.1L Weekender
Vanagon 85' 1.9L Sunroof
Jetta 97' VR6 GLX
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my front lower grill and two side vents with black rattle ca plastidip. I want to do my window trim/seals, mirror housings and my silver fiamma awning.

I got a price quote from a place here in town to spray my westy... $700 for a full color change to this matte orange shown below and $1000 to go matte white. apparently the matte white requires a bit more base work.

these 3 pics are the same car... top two are plastidip sprays and the bottom is the stock car color.

westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
I did my front lower grill and two side vents with black rattle ca plastidip. I want to do my window trim/seals, mirror housings and my silver fiamma awning

Are you going to do the Slider window frames? Looking to seeing the results!

Westylife.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: