Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel line replacement frequency?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
13thstreetgti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Fuel line replacement frequency? Reply with quote

Hello all - I tried to do a search on this topic but did not find any information other than members urging new Vanagon owners to replace the fuel lines ASAP.

How often should we change our fuel lines? I replaced mine three years ago with a Van Cafe kit and the lines still look good with no signs of deterioration. Does anyone have a recommend fuel line replacement interval?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of others replacing theirs every 4 years.

Myself, well, the original 20-year old lines looked just fine when I replaced them so I'm going with a replacement schedule more in the every-decade-or-two timeframe.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspect them annually
change them or portions as seems fit.

I doubt anyone will get 20yrs on the replacement lines..

it's not terribly expensive so I'd say 5yrs. should be proactive enough.. with thorough annual inspections

now how often do you change/flush your brake fluid?
should be every 2-3 yrs. Wink
as it attracts moisture from past the seals/vented cap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 20+ years out of the originals - replaced them when I replaced the engine. So yeah, I'll probably just keep an eye on them (and lots of other things) for now.

The notion (I often see here) that some parts should be replaced periodically irrespective of condition is reasonable IF you are unable or unwilling to inspect the part. But it seems over the top to me to replace parts that can be inspected and tested (e.g. radiators, fuel pressure regulators, etc) solely due to age.

Fuel lines, of course, are hard to inspect or test and cheap enough to replace that one should be conservative and proactive if there is a doubt about them.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My originals where changed at motor rebuild after 20 years, no leaks up to then, but the insides where starting to crack. replaced with SAE 30R9 lined hoses which should be even better than factory, expect them to last life of motor or 20 years which ever is first.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced fuel lines on quite a few local busses (And quite a few of my own) using the various kits from the various vanagon specific vendors. Over the years I have determined that the fuel line they offered, despite being the proper stuff....still sucks. It's not their fault, that's just what's on the market! The crap fuel we have today absolutely destroys fuel lines.
I found vent lines which would get significant cracks from the inside out on the ends after as short as ONE YEAR! (both the braided german line and the US made smooth line).
The fuel injection line, would get much smaller internal cracks, but still significant, in two-three years. Based upon what I have seen and experienced, I have determined that the european fuel lines, built for european fuel (QUITE different from the crap we have here...) do not last sufficiently and I would be suspect of anything with more then 3 years on it. It's scary!

I have since started using only J30R9-J30R14 rated lines which have a liner and are intentionally produced for our crap fuel. We will see in a few years, but I did a great deal of research and found that this better fuel line really is significantly better then the improperly rated lines sold everywhere.
That's my plan.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phishman068 wrote:
I replaced fuel lines on quite a few local busses (And quite a few of my own) using the various kits from the various vanagon specific vendors. Over the years I have determined that the fuel line they offered, despite being the proper stuff....still sucks. It's not their fault, that's just what's on the market! The crap fuel we have today absolutely destroys fuel lines.
I found vent lines which would get significant cracks from the inside out on the ends after as short as ONE YEAR! (both the braided german line and the US made smooth line).
The fuel injection line, would get much smaller internal cracks, but still significant, in two-three years. Based upon what I have seen and experienced, I have determined that the european fuel lines, built for european fuel (QUITE different from the crap we have here...) do not last sufficiently and I would be suspect of anything with more then 3 years on it. It's scary!

I have since started using only J30R9-J30R14 rated lines which have a liner and are intentionally produced for our crap fuel. We will see in a few years, but I did a great deal of research and found that this better fuel line really is significantly better then the improperly rated lines sold everywhere.
That's my plan.

that's what I done, and yes even the vapour hoses in the wheel wells got 30R9 lined hoses. the new crap gas will kill lesser hoses, it is false economy not to buy the expensive 30R9 hose, the 30R7 is much cheaper, but it will not last with corn gasoline, thank you al gore for that, corn is for feeding pigs, not gasoline.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
mekanism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced mine with the expensive stuff that GW sells. Hopefully I will get at least 5 years out of it. My goal long term is to replace as much of the rubber line with steel lines using double flares and AN fittings. At leat this way there will be only inches of line to periodically replace instead of feet.

And WTF was VW thinking when they used plastic line for fuel??? I'm surprised more of these vehicles dont catch fire. Confused
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that the barrier hoses will need to be replaced in only 5 years, but why not contact the people who make the hose??

Do check the clamps, and consider Ben's comments on the FPR.

Then there are the brake hoses, and tires, not to mention the seatbelts.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mekanism wrote:
I just replaced mine with the expensive stuff that GW sells. Hopefully I will get at least 5 years out of it. My goal long term is to replace as much of the rubber line with steel lines using double flares and AN fittings. At leat this way there will be only inches of line to periodically replace instead of feet.

And WTF was VW thinking when they used plastic line for fuel??? I'm surprised more of these vehicles dont catch fire. Confused

That hard plastic fuel line is similar to the fuel line in my 1972 Porsche, still good after all these years, not much harms the hard plastic line, except for battery acid and physical damage such as crushing or abrasion.

The rubber hose is the real problem

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche used 2 different types of plastic hose on the 911 somewhere around 1974-5 or so. The earliest type replaced the steel fuel lines up to 1973 and does not last. The later type is good for several decades, tho I don't recall the two types of plastic used.
mekanism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That hard plastic fuel line is similar to the fuel line in my 1972 Porsche, still good after all these years, not much harms the hard plastic line, except for battery acid and physical damage such as crushing or abrasion.

The rubber hose is the real problem

Yeah the plastic line was crushed on the engine side of the filter when I upgraded to the later style filter. I cut about an inch off and it seems to be ok now, but I had never seen plastic fuel lines before and it threw me off.

I wonder what late model vehicles use for fuel line as they would need to last about 10 years to stay within warranty?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just changed out a piece of 8ish year old 30r7 on my Bay. It ran from the tank a short distance to the steel line I run into the engine compartment (this engine is carbed BTW). I had seen some fuel leaking and a quick inspection showed it was one end of this line that had swollen up, gotten soft, and was oozing fuel. I had thought I had gotten rid of any remaining 30r7 hose on any of my rigs, but had missed this piece.

Don't know what the life expectancy of either 30r9 or 30r14 will be, but since they are really not that expensive, changing them out every 5 years or should be part of normal maintenance.
scottbott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced mine twice in five years,when I had my LPG serviced this May the mechanic called me over and said look at this,petrol was shooting out in a jet just before the carb,luckily I was running on LPG,so that particular pipe has been replaced three times in five years,the rest will be changed over the winterI am pretty sure the petrol companies most expensive fuel is ethanol free,so the three times I have put petrol in the last it has been the expensive stuff,about 50 quid's worth in total
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - if you use the wrong type of clamps on the hose ends you will need to replace the hose pretty quickly - or maybe buy a new vehicle...
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement frequency? Reply with quote

After 3 years since the last fuel hose replacement my NAPA Canada 30R-9 hose has completely failed in multiple locations.

Over the winter during storage I appears that the hose degraded to a point where the outer covering is cracked and the inner portion is also degrading.

I went to start the van and immediately developed a leak, replaced hose and 2 more leaks developed at different locations.

Everything has to be replaced as I don't trust any of it now.

Gates Barricade will be the replacement
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement frequency? Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
After 3 years since the last fuel hose replacement my NAPA Canada 30R-9 hose has completely failed in multiple locations.

Over the winter during storage I appears that the hose degraded to a point where the outer covering is cracked and the inner portion is also degrading.

I went to start the van and immediately developed a leak, replaced hose and 2 more leaks developed at different locations.

Everything has to be replaced as I don't trust any of it now.

Gates Barricade will be the replacement

Is this one empirical evidence that in some cases, replacing your fuel hoses with the highly touted hoses that are designed for modern fuel, that you may be worst off? Shocked

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement frequency? Reply with quote

Here are the photos
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Didn't use the fire covers over the fuel line 3 years ago but 2 of the leaks happened right at the end of the hoses so they wouldn't have done anything anyways. Hose has degraded right thru the entire line.

91 Octane entire time with ethanol...
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement frequency? Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the unvarnished truth. The fuel line manufacturer is beyond bordering on criminal act. You are one very lucky owner and kudos for your attentiveness. Exclamation

Is Napa Canada the new old Canadian Tire?

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line replacement frequency? Reply with quote

Vince,

Just to clarify, you cannot have "one empirical evidence". Empirical evidence is a phrase that means a buildup of a quantity of valid evidence to draw a conclusion. By definition, "one" is not "empirical".

On the hose - holy cow that looks bad. Was this vehicle stored inside or outside? There is a reason for the question....
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: