Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine bay- what am I missing??
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keithinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Engine bay- what am I missing?? Reply with quote

Been cleaning the engine bay and realized I had a few "holes". I've probably looked at it a thousand times. I'm not too quick on the uptake Laughing

Could someone tell me the part name I'm missing. Or what I might need to do to the engine. Thanks.

Keith
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shouldn't be helping you, because you have a 1970 Convertible, so I'm jealous. Engine looks pretty nice. You have an aftermarket oil filler, so the vent tube which exits next to the dipstick is not there, maybe plug that hole with a rubber stopper.

I wonder if the 1970 ever had dealer-added AC, might explain the two firewall holes.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure the size of that pulley.

Also the hoses that are attached to the shroud, you're supposed to just take one and cut it in half for both sides.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to give advice on your bay in general, feel free to ignore it. I have no clue how much you know.

Your drivers side air hose is too long, you are losing air pressure because the air has to travel along that bend. I would recommend trimming it down to size.

You have an aftermarket alternator and alternator stand. This is why your oil fill hole doesn't have the stock downspout, leaving you with a tin hole.

You are missing your firewall insulation, not a necessary component, but it does reduce cabin noise.

You are running a 009 distributor, I would recommend a stock SVDA, as the 009 doesn't pair well with your 34PICT3 carb, you probably have a flat spot when taking off.

Your crank pulley is aftermarket. It looks like a SCAT brand one, I would check. SCAT is good, EMPI is shit. I run an aftermarket SCAT and really like it.

I would recommend getting rubber boots for your alternator connectors as well.

Overall the bay is pretty gorgeous and I am a little jealous, but I was bored and felt like knit picking...

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
Keithinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys- thanks. I will adjust air hose tomorrow. I will look into the SVDA dist tonight. Yes, when I pull out there is some hesitancy. I will look to plug the hole near dipstick. I will look tonight also to get rubber boots for alt as well.

I have considered firewall insulation. That's a maybe. When I was restoring inside I used peel and seal (quick roof equivalent)It really helped. Every little bit helps just not sure about adding the insulation right now.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Keith
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: air hoses

I actually don't cut mine in half and use them for two but rather buy a couple and trim them only enough to make a smooth bend and path to it's destination. Then if one gets damaged it's easier to just expand it more and cut out the bad end.

Just a different way of doing things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keithinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok about the SVDA dist- is there a model or make you would suggest. I searched last night and quickly discovered there are many models with many options, the dist, with Hall effect…

I must admit- with regard to the technical, I am easily overwhelmed.

Thanks.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those holes that you pointed out appear to be exactly where my Automatic Stickshift ATF hoses go through on the passenger side. And on the driver's side, it looks like the place where the vaccuum hose goes for the clutch servo motor.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be tempted to agree your car was auto in a past life, only thing I notice is the large hole in the side of the engine bay where the ATF filler neck comes through isnt there and the control valve mounting bracket isnt there but maybe convertibles were different because of that corner bracing in the engine bay.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithinky wrote:
Ok about the SVDA dist- is there a model or make you would suggest. I searched last night and quickly discovered there are many models with many options, the dist, with Hall effect…

I must admit- with regard to the technical, I am easily overwhelmed.

Thanks.

Post this as a new topic. Distributors are super confusing.

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
Keithinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post this as a new topic. Distributors are super confusing.[/quote]

👍👍
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
I'd be tempted to agree your car was auto in a past life, only thing I notice is the large hole in the side of the engine bay where the ATF filler neck comes through isnt there and the control valve mounting bracket isnt there but maybe convertibles were different because of that corner bracing in the engine bay.

I switched my convertible to 4 speed from auto stick and I can confirm the control valve bracket and ATF filler hole are there, same as on a hard top.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Keithinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow-ok, autostick. So this adds a little more mystery to its history Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: