Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb issues/questions....should have posted here first
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Carb issues/questions....should have posted here first Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
My 1972 Karmann Ghia is having some carb issues as of late and I would like to solve them once and for all.
My car currently has a stock Solex 34 PICT carb, that was "rebuilt" about 6 or so years ago. The rebuild was done by a local carb shop that has been around for decades, and they seemingly knew that carb. The car sits for the entire winter season and is not used frequently, not a good combination for a carb.
Last night on my way home the car simply died out and would not restart for a period of time. I would try to crank it, and no fire at all. After a period of repeated cranking, it did start and I was able to drive it home. My assumption is that something was sucked into the carb, but the filter is spotless?? The car also has times where you give it gas and it hesitates before truly accelerating. It will often stall out after a run on a highway when you get to a red light. In general when the engine is at operating temperature, the idle is poor with rather low RPM's. And finally it is difficult to restart the car once it is warmed up. It usually starts great cold.

So what re my options? Can VOLKZBITZ make my OEM Solex totally new looking and performing again? Are there cases where a Solex is "too far gone"?
My local VW parts store claims my best option is to dump the 34 PICT Solex and run a 31 PICT Brazilian carb with an adapter for my manifold. What are the advantages to the 31?
What does the collective knowledge of the Samba think?

Thanks,
Zack
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of fuel filter?
What do you do to store your car all winter?
Do you drain the fuel tank and run car until it runs out fuel? Use some kind of additive for long term storage in the fuel?
Is the steel fuel line to fuel pump touching hot steel somewhere causing vapor lock?
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Directly behind the Auto choke is a fitting called the Idle Jet.

Loosen 1/4 of a turn and see if that solves the idling....if so then there is a speck of ? and needs to be cleaned out with Carb Cleaner and air pressure.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starts and runs fine... Runs like crap after it at operating temp...Carburetor Icing.

Its your intake manifold, and probably missing other factory installed parts.

Lets see a picture of your engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: