Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

looking for the engine build table
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: looking for the engine build table Reply with quote

I know its here but I can't find it...I AM LOOKING for how to make an engine parts layout table. If I remember right it made out of plywood and dowel and what not. There is a place for all of the cylinders push rods fasteners. ..everything. I just built a new engine assembly room and thought it would be cool. Please share the link.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple shelf assembly works best for me....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Takes up a lot less space in shop....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dale but thats not it. It consists of a plywood base with outlines of parts like a tool board. There are spots for all of the engine longblock lifters, cam, cylinders, rods...ect. I've seen it many times here on the samba just forgot where.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodgersbadassbus64 wrote:
Thanks Dale but thats not it. It consists of a plywood base with outlines of parts like a tool board. There are spots for all of the engine longblock lifters, cam, cylinders, rods...ect. I've seen it many times here on the samba just forgot where.

Sorry.... But putting up on table to admire, keeps me from main purpose, build engine....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're looking for the "engine caddy". HotVWs' "All about VW performance engines" (the first one of at least 3), winter 1989; page 41. Due to copyright concerns I don't want to photograph or scan the 1-page article, but will provide the materials list:
-3/4" thick plywood, 24" x 36"
- approx. 6" length of 1.5 x 1.5
-wood glue
-15" x 15" screen
-1 1/4", also 3" wood screws

The caddy is fashioned after the VW tool seen here-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol! IMO, that just looks silly. I was thinking what Dale was thinking. I leave my parts in boxes after I clean them instead of leaving them on a table to collect dust or other debris. I have two workbenches that I leave clear to do whatever need at that point of the build. I never understood why people take pics of every single part all lined up on the table when it takes awhile to build it up PROPERLY. I can slap an engine together in a couple of hours, but it takes me days with my full time job to actually build an engine and measure each and every part, record my measurements, and all that jazz...
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is it. Thank you for your time. When I do a search for. "Engine Caddy" Hot VW's it comes up withe the article with plans.
Thanks for your time:) I'm not crazy. Because it does take a long time to both gather parts and build a motor I thought this is a good tool to use as you gather and when you have all of the parts you assemble. I WAS NEVER LOOKING FOR APPROVAL I WAS LOOKING FOR A LINK:) THANK YOU SAMBANISTAS
56vwoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: parts rack Reply with quote

I use mine all the time for teardown and assembly. Very useful in keeping parts in same place as they came out i.e. lifters, pistons etc. Especially when reusing cams and lifters.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

card board box works for me....under the multie layered bench's,so nutten gets lost....missplaced..used for somethen else. but I do have many things going on at 3 times. also helpful if you label things/boxes. a build cart is nice too,and I have one.....but it's usualy full of somethen or another.almost my entire shop is walled with pegboard,and it's full too.and shelving all around the top too,yup it's also full. I dont have room for something like that when not in use.if I used one I would probably have to make 5 of them or more.then a nice fitted cover to cover them up.it's just too much space taken up for me.I suppose I could build a shelf from the floor to the celing that each one would go into,but then they would be too heavy for me to put them back when full and thus a mess to contend with when it hits the floor. I reckon they can be for some people,just not for me.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and there is never enough space any where for any thing.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the crankshaft holder is the only part that gives any real dimension or depth to it. Other than that, it's a flat piece. I've been meaning to build one from stainless or aluminum and with a removable or fold-able crank holder. This way it's rugged, easily cleaned and easily stored when done done.

It would be a nice thing to have when doing a fast tear down service and re-assemble. It's certainly no good for long term parts storage.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the original VW tool was meant as an aid to a genuine VW dealer's repair shop. Just imagine how many engines were partly or fully torn down at any one time within a larger shop in the late '50's and '60's. The entire wheeled cart with the caddy on top is a convenient way to keep all parts of a single engine all together. Have a technician tear down the engine and place the components into the caddy per original engine location, and the big pieces in the cart's lower shelves. Push the cart into another room so the apprentice can go to town washing/cleaning the parts. Then the cart goes back into the original mechanic's storage area until the parts are in stock at the dealer so that the mechanic can measure tolerances on the clean parts and reassemble.

For us who work on/occasionally build these engines mostly at home for a hobby like me, a caddy is still useful for those engines which I tear down every few years, lose interest or wait for good parts deals, but then know where everything goes. I also create a build list and record where and when I got the engine, tear-down notes, and intended build-up plans. I actually built and have 2 such caddies. With Mark's many engines he builds for customers, having 5 caddies at the same time would be sensible.

Tip to the OP- paint the completed caddy with a gloss latex paint or gloss polyurethane when finished, so that the inevitable grease from the engine parts wipes off easily. The grease would just work its way into unpainted wood and look grimy...
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can no longer find my copy of Hot VWs All About Performance Engine 1 so I don't have a measured drawing anymore. Someone post a link to the article. I tried searching as advised but all I came up with was talk about Cadillac engines and guys jaw jacking about their Rabbit pick'em up trucks (aka Caddy).

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my cart from harbenger of fright would work for that,has worked for that,but currently is the disc brake conversion cart. I did see some neet carts the other day they looked like 30 or 4 little redwagons with steel tubes through each at the corrners and spaced appart nicely so stuff would fit good....hmm it may of had a vw part number Shocked the one above looks like it was made by either teeter or toughter,not sure witch,but it should drain fast if you put holes on either end,just dont stack stuff to high or when it teeters it may fall out.
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/573484.jpg
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a build tabe in the stickeys too as I recall.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: