Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Road trippin to Devner...again
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice fall trip to Denver!!

Do you run any remote oil cooler with that 2109? What are your highest oil temps you see climbing in the mountains? I'm curious as I have a 2110 and prior to installing a remote oil pump I was seeing oil temps up to 230* after a good climb. Now the temps when I'm pushing her on a hot day haven't climbed above 197*

Colfax does have some good shops. I used to own a couple,, one on Colfax. Both are still down there thriving. I have not been to one in few years, way to expensive....

If your ever up in Northern CO give a shout. We live within walking distance to Carter Lake in Loveland. Good hiking, 3 lakes within 5 miles, camping on the lake.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you run any remote oil cooler with that 2109?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wanna know the numbers. Mine seems to be holding fine, for maybe an hour of idling.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made it home, what a fun trip. The wedding we went to was right on the 16th street mall at the clock tower. the wedding spanned 4 floors of the tower and had great views of the city. It was also the zombie crawl, which brought 20,000 people to the 16th street mall for a parade. It was packed down there there were lots of people dressed up, good times.

Sunday we headed out in the bus for some brunch before we hit the road. We ended up going to 3 different place cause the waits were over an hour and still waiting about a half hour for a table. This put us on the road over 2 hours later then we wanted to. The trip home was not as eventful as the trip up there and the bus ran great! We stopped in Del Nort for some dinner, when we finished it was dark out. So we have to drive in the dark over Wolfir home. The bus made a good run up the east side of the pass. I ran 4th gear all the way up to the second tunnel (just about the top) before I had to down shift, not bad. After we went through Pagosa I cranked the slows up to 65. It was really dark out and I wanted to keep up with traffic to have a barrier between us and the deer. The bus had no problem with this and the temp stayed right at 180*.

Stats:
Total miles: 727
Total gallons of fuel (91): 33
MPG: 22.02
Oil used: ~1/3 a quart
Oil temp: 180* all day!
Total mountain passes crossed: 6, 3 each way
Total road trip miles in 2014 (5 trips): 6683
Total miles on engine: 17,850
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowing on the west side of Poncho Pass.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:

Do you run any remote oil cooler with that 2109? What are your highest oil temps you see climbing in the mountains? I'm curious as I have a 2110 and prior to installing a remote oil pump I was seeing oil temps up to 230* after a good climb. Now the temps when I'm pushing her on a hot day haven't climbed above 197*

If your ever up in Northern CO give a shout. We live within walking distance to Carter Lake in Loveland. Good hiking, 3 lakes within 5 miles, camping on the lake.

I do run a cooler now and that is it pictured above. Before the cooler the engine ran 220* everywhere. My builder was just fine with that and I didn't notice and problems running those temps. After my 3000 mile to the cali coast from Durango I realized I needed one. Running 220* doesn't leave much room temp change if you have to climb a long hill. This is my second trip with the cooler and there is a major difference. It runs right at 180* now and the highest temp I've seen is 200*. When it hit 200* I turned on the fan to see how it would work, within 10 min it was back down to 180*.

Thanks for the invite.

Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kum&Go...? Seriously?! Laughing

Great to see you made it with another good road trip!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
curtis4085 wrote:

I do run a cooler now and that is it pictured above. Before the cooler the engine ran 220* everywhere. My builder was just fine with that and I didn't notice and problems running those temps. After my 3000 mile to the cali coast from Durango I realized I needed one. Running 220* doesn't leave much room temp change if you have to climb a long hill. This is my second trip with the cooler and there is a major difference. It runs right at 180* now and the highest temp I've seen is 200*. When it hit 200* I turned on the fan to see how it would work, within 10 min it was back down to 180*.

Thanks for the invite.

Rich P.

Good trip. Thanks for the info on the oil cooler. My fan is tied to a thermostat that doesn't come on till 195*. The cooler has its own thermostat that only allows full flow at 185* to allow for engine to fully warm.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="curtis4085"]
richparker wrote:

Good trip. Thanks for the info on the oil cooler. My fan is tied to a thermostat that doesn't come on till 195*. The cooler has its own thermostat that only allows full flow at 185* to allow for engine to fully warm.

I have a 180* oil T-stat from CB and my fan is controlled by a switch on the dash.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
CatLady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Made it home, what a fun trip. The wedding we went to was right on the 16th street mall at the clock tower. the wedding spanned 4 floors of the tower and had great views of the city. It was also the zombie crawl, which brought 20,000 people to the 16th street mall for a parade. It was packed down there there were lots of people dressed up, good times.

Sunday we headed out in the bus for some brunch before we hit the road. We ended up going to 3 different place cause the waits were over an hour and still waiting about a half hour for a table. This put us on the road over 2 hours later then we wanted to. The trip home was not as eventful as the trip up there and the bus ran great! We stopped in Del Nort for some dinner, when we finished it was dark out. So we have to drive in the dark over Wolfir home. The bus made a good run up the east side of the pass. I ran 4th gear all the way up to the second tunnel (just about the top) before I had to down shift, not bad. After we went through Pagosa I cranked the slows up to 65. It was really dark out and I wanted to keep up with traffic to have a barrier between us and the deer. The bus had no problem with this and the temp stayed right at 180*.

Stats:
Total miles: 727
Total gallons of fuel (91): 33
MPG: 22.02
Oil used: ~1/3 a quart
Oil temp: 180* all day!
Total mountain passes crossed: 6, 3 each way
Total road trip miles in 2014 (5 trips): 6683
Total miles on engine: 17,850

Completely not bus related, but I work with the guys who catered this reception. The food should have been good though a bit different than typical wedding food. I hope it was. Smile
Type 4

'63 Bug
1600 cc, 12V
Restored interior, OG paint
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was GOOD!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you hit up Lannies Clock Tower cabaret while you were there? I've been a few times and it's always a good time, adult entertainment mind you. I think your oil temps are perfect for a large displacement engine, you should have a long service life. I'm really impressed with the mileage you are getting on this ethanol gas, I can't get over 20mpg with my stock 1600 DP set-up. Denver is a cool place to visit, I'm just too old for big city life on a day to day basis. "Derango" was way more laid back in the 70's and 80's back when you had to "score" at the Auto department in K-mart. Thanks for the pics, I'm missing everything in Colorado this year...stuck in Germany till March.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Did you hit up Lannies Clock Tower cabaret while you were there? I've been a few times and it's always a good time, adult entertainment mind you. I think your oil temps are perfect for a large displacement engine, you should have a long service life. I'm really impressed with the mileage you are getting on this ethanol gas, I can't get over 20mpg with my stock 1600 DP set-up. Denver is a cool place to visit, I'm just too old for big city life on a day to day basis. "Derango" was way more laid back in the 70's and 80's back when you had to "score" at the Auto department in K-mart. Thanks for the pics, I'm missing everything in Colorado this year...stuck in Germany till March.

No titty bar this trip Manfred, maybe next time. Smile.

When the IDF 40s I'm running were installed I wasn't getting the best milage, I think it was around 15 mpg. It took thousounds of miles of trending data and trial and era to get the right jet set up. I am very happy with the milage now. If I remember right I think my 1600 only got 18-20. The big engine doesn't have to work as hard to push the bus around, that's my guess. Enjoy Germany!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaning on the wheel looking for UFOs

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Alien Agenda is real,man. Spend a few nights in the San Luis Valley and look at the stars whilst listening to the "Taos Hum". Its good you were on the look out while driving!!
CatLady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
It was GOOD!

It looked good as they were cooking. And those guys are so talented! They can do some crazy things with food. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Type 4

'63 Bug
1600 cc, 12V
Restored interior, OG paint
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: