Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The journey of a new 1970 Westfalia owner. The fixes begin.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got my parts in that I was waiting for in order to get the fuel tank back in. I was waiting for the sending unit gasket. Mine was the original and it was hard and cracked. I had found the sending unit tube had fallen off the sending unit. I installed it back on the sender and the plastic sender seems to slide up and down ok. The two thin wires were not broken either. I hope it works correctly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I washed out the gas tank compartment of dirt and then re-glued the seal around the fuel spout area.

I bought the fuel line replacement kit from German Supply. It had all the hoses, clamps and new fuel spout and copper screen to reseal your tank and get rid of fuel smells. What he needs to add to the kit is the fuel sending unit seal.

When I removed the original hose, the hose clamp over the fill pipe wouldn't come out of the side of the bus. I stuck a small philips inside that compartment to unscrew that clamp before being able to slide the whole assy out. Going back in, I realized that the tan seal/gasket you see in this photo comes off. This reveals a slot in the body for you to be able to insert the steel fill tube with the fuel line and that clamp installed. DUH!!

I slid the tank back in and connected the big fill hose to the tank. I then tightened the hose clamp on the tank down snug. I then installed the fuel tank cover and replaced the rear rubber engine compartment seal.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got in more transmission seals. I replaced the drivers side hub seal which was a bitch. It had the new style. The height or depth of the seal is much bigger. It did not come out easily. I then installed the new seal of the same design back in with a socket that luckily fit it well around the outside lip. I used a bit of grease where the seal slid into the case and it helped it go in easier.

Finally, I replaced the main shaft seal as well. I hope changing all those seals keeps it from leaking. I did notice after removing them that the hub seals had hard, brittle lips on them. I'm waiting for the nose cone boot (which this bus didn't have) before reinstalling the transmission. I hope this boot keeps the dirt and crap off the nose cone/hockey stick area and this new seal from leaking. The hockey stick looked great. No marks, nicks or anything.

While the engine was out, I wanted to go ahead and also replace the main seal too and inspect the clutch. I removed it with the best $60 dollar tool I've bought for VW's.

The clutch disk and pressure plate looked good.

The main seal it had looked great. No leaks but I changed it anyway. I'm hoping to get this transmission and engine to be as leak free as possible. I know.. right?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last couple of days have been spent doing drudgery work like cleaning up the engine tin, muffler and replacing the seals in the oil cooler and mount. I was searching for some good used dual port cylinder tin locally. Everyone I checked w/in PHX was out and said "the old German tin is starting to dry up". Even the one's listed on the Samba were pretty beat. I ended up just repairing my cyl tin. I've also discovered that the 71 only front tin w/the dog house exhaust hole isn't real common either. I saw a couple but didn't feel compelled to spend a $100 dollars on it. The one on the engine is a 70 that had the hole cut in it. They did a good job.

One side of the cyl tin just needed some dents popped out and the other needed metal cut off and replaced. I had a single port cyl tin in good shape so it was sacrificed for the cause. I cut off the rusted, broken portion and welded the donor piece on. I also welded in a new piece where it bolts near the spark plug. I then cleaned them up with a wire wheel and painted them semi-gloss black.

I bought some new sled tin's that turned out to be EMPI. Yup, they needed to be massaged to make them fit. The motor when I bought the bus didn't have any sled tin's on it. I got them to fit.

This engine also had the wrong heater boxes on it. One box had no lever or opening flap mechanism on it and the other appears to fit a 67 bus. I sourced two used ones from the Samba. One was in good shape but this one was missing one of the two sled tin mounting tabs. I drilled off one off the old box and welded it on the new one. I then spent some quality time with an angle grinder and wire wheel to remove all the rust. Finally, I welded up a couple of other rust holes on it so it doesn't lose too much air when the heater is needed.
This was followed with a rust converter paint then some high heat grey rattle can spray paint.
I want to be able to have some heat this fall as we are going to be taking it to the mountains for some trips.

Hopefully tomorrow, I can finish it up and reinstall the transmission and engine. I'll then take it for a spin w/my fingers crossed that I have no leaks. Pray

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The work you are doing is fantastic, well done!

Your bus will serve you well when it's all complete. Can't wait to see more.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
The work you are doing is fantastic, well done!

Your bus will serve you well when it's all complete. Can't wait to see more.

Hey, thanks for the nice words! Very Happy

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, yesterday as I was finishing up getting the engine and trans ready for re-install today, I thought I might ask my 20 year old nephew who's going to a diesel tech school if he wanted to come over and help and learn. He said sure. Boy, I'm glad I asked. I'm not sure I could off managed to get these back in as a one man crew. It's challenging enough shoving a stock engine back in a bug by yourself with a fixed transmission but on a bus, it seemed even harder with the transmission moving all over. He was very helpful and I'm so glad I asked.

We installed the transmission and only had a brief fight with the coupler to get it on the transmission shaft. It was tight with the new nose cone boot that covers that shaft and seal.

I then finished buttoning up the engine. I bolted down the fan shroud first then realized I needed to put the carb manifold on first. Brain fart.. I love doing thing twice! I installed a brand new generator and belt as the generator and belt were looking a bit tired.

We then installed the rest of the ancillaries and enjoyed getting the clamps on the bottom of the exhaust right by the mustache bar.

Finally we went to stab the engine in with a small jack holding the transmission up. I screwed up and didn't mount the motor mounts on the mustache bar before we stabbed it in. This required us to un-bolt the bar and install the motor mounts on it, then reinstall the mustache bar back on the engine.

I have all the new fuels lines and filter hooked up along with the electrical. I put about 3 gallons of gas in the tank and hoped the new outlet didn't leak. So far so good. Tomorrow I need to button up the rear apron, install the bumper and then top off fluids.

photoboy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a fantastic job! Applause It all looks really great!

I have just read all 5 pages back to back and has been informative.

Thanks for also writing in where you sourced your seals and such.

'97 Geo Metro 3 door 1L
Tin can on a skate Very Happy
(Did engine rebuild my self)

Past
1961 Bug Sedan
Thrown Rod (Recently found it still at home now need to get from Nor Cali to SE TX!!)
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photoboy52 wrote:
That is a fantastic job! Applause It all looks really great!

I have just read all 5 pages back to back and has been informative.

Thanks for also writing in where you sourced your seals and such.

Thanks and I'm glad to share what I'm learning with others. I've learned so much from others on this site too!

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a big set back today. I finished putting the rest of the engine together. I had taken off the distributor cap and wires. I brain farted and forgot that the rotor is 180* out. I went to start it and shockingly, it didn't run. I then remembered. I put it on top dead cylinder on number one. Then put the wires on wrong for the second time.. DUH.. Finally, I got them on correctly. Then, the new generator tortured me for an hour. The dash light stayed on after getting it running. I polarized it a couple of times. Nothing.. Light still on. I then checked voltage output on the generator with the wires disconnected. It was working great. I hooked it back up and the light went out.. Odd..

I buttoned everything up, crawled under it for the 100th time to double check everything. I reinstalled the shifter and adjusted it.. I topped the fluids off and took it for a spin. It started popping out of 4th gear. It NEVER did this before. I posted another question on a different thread about it.

I readjusted the shift plate in every direction and it still pops out though it will stay in after putting it right back in after the initial pop out. I'm going to double check a few things, flush the fluid in the transmission and then see what happens before pulling the transmission out again..

photoboy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pooping out of gear for me in my bug was a clutch cable/Bowden tube adjustment. Hope you can figure it out quickly.

'97 Geo Metro 3 door 1L
Tin can on a skate Very Happy
(Did engine rebuild my self)

Past
1961 Bug Sedan
Thrown Rod (Recently found it still at home now need to get from Nor Cali to SE TX!!)
roger rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I finished installing the curtains by pulling the closet and z-bed out to get to the board on the passenger side rear window. I then stapled the curtains on the board and reinstalled the interior. Lot of work for one curtain install! It was however, good to see zero rust inside on the floors or interior.

Do you have any pics of the curtain board installation behind the cabinet? I too have a 70 westy but interior not finished and doesn't have the board for the curtain behind the cabinet. Any pics you have of this board, how it is attached to the window and how the curtain is attached to the board would be very helpful.

Great thread, great work!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger rabbit wrote:
Quote:
I finished installing the curtains by pulling the closet and z-bed out to get to the board on the passenger side rear window. I then stapled the curtains on the board and reinstalled the interior. Lot of work for one curtain install! It was however, good to see zero rust inside on the floors or interior.

Do you have any pics of the curtain board installation behind the cabinet? I too have a 70 westy but interior not finished and doesn't have the board for the curtain behind the cabinet. Any pics you have of this board, how it is attached to the window and how the curtain is attached to the board would be very helpful.

Great thread, great work!

Thank your for the compliments.

Ya know, I don't have any pictures of that board behind the cabinet. I didn't take any when I did that portion. The board was just a very thin 3/16" fiber board. If yours is missing, you can look around the window and see many small holes where the screws held the board in. It can provide you a rough template to make another board.

On the curtain installation on that board, the curtain was all ready sewn. All I did was lay it on the board and then fold it over every few inches to give it the pleated look. Again, I didn't take any pictures of doing that. I then stapled it to the board as I went along. It's quite easy to do. You just have to lay it out and then fold it over a bit and keep going. I folded it across the entire board to make sure my pleats weren't too long thus making the curtain not long enough to go across the entire board.

I remember searching the forums under curtains for the bay windows and found in one of them a guy doing the same work.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one step forward, one step backwards. As I posted on a separate link, my nephew and I removed the engine and trans for the second time. I was happy it only took an hour to get them both on the floor. I pulled the nose cone looking for something that was obvious that could have been causing it to pop out of 4th gear. Sadly, everything looked ok to my un-educated transmission eyes.
I spoke to Bill at Arizona Transaxle (super nice guys BTW) and got my name on the waiting list to have them pull it apart.

Here's the link with pictures of the nose cone off.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=608644&highlight=

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post

Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
.... I sourced a good used speedometer and went to install it. I noticed the plastic housing was jacked up where the metal tabs lock the glass in place. It appears those metal tabs/circles/centering plates where also jacked up as well. I put it together and it's ok for now. I'm on the search for a better instrument cluster though.

I ran into the same problem on a 1971 bus. I secured the ring in place with my wife's hot-glue gun. Looks perfect from the front.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
.... I sourced a good used speedometer and went to install it. I noticed the plastic housing was jacked up where the metal tabs lock the glass in place. It appears those metal tabs/circles/centering plates where also jacked up as well. I put it together and it's ok for now. I'm on the search for a better instrument cluster though.

I ran into the same problem on a 1971 bus. I secured the ring in place with my wife's hot-glue gun. Looks perfect from the front.

Thanks for the tip Anchovy. Question, is there suppose to be rubber gaskets between the glass and the retaining rings? My glass just rattles between the ring and the housing. I haven't found an exploded view of this dash console.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much done lately to the bus. The transmission is still at Arizona Transaxle getting an overhaul. I called them the other day to see what else they found beside what I already shared. He said it was simply worn out. I hope to get it back in a couple of weeks.
I feel a bit guilty though as I have other things I need to do but I have simply been lazy.

I ordered a new dome light for over the fold out table. This bus didn't have one when I purchased it. I bought a Hella light that looks to be an original, new one from the gentleman from Germany who sells them here.

I pulled off the paneling hoping the wiring was still in place. YEESSS.. it was there along with the ground screw and washer.

I then had to jump the wires in the empty engine bay to get power to the dash. I turned the switch on and was happy to see the test light go bright!

Placing it on the board and centering it in position.

I got lucky and had three new bulbs in my tool box and hooked everything up.

I then hit the switch on the dash and nothing worked? DOH! Time to hit the two switches on the new light and, ta-da, looks good.

I still need to replace the two rear rubber brake lines as I have the new parts. I then need to yank the steering gear off and reseal it and go thru it. It's been leaking for years and I hope it is not junk when I get it apart.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to yanking the badly leaking steering box out of the bus. When I got it, It had some play in it and I adjusted the pitman arm adjustment. It had a slight "catch" at the center point and it just didn't feel right. I was wondering if the peg that rolls on the worm track was frozen or not.

SO, I removed the drank link, pitman arm, the bolts to the frame, the coupler and then the gear from the bus.

It had been leaking for a long time apparently. It was pretty quick and easy to get it out. Probably 15 minutes.

Here's the nasty thing on the bench.. I was happy to see it still had plenty of oil in it. It smelt and looked like 90 weight.

It took more time to clean the darn box in solvent than to remove it!

Here's the worm. Anyone see anything glaring? I didn't see anything.

Here's the gear all torn down. The bearings on the steering shaft feel great. NO roughness at all on either end. Very smooth. The pitman arm has some slight wear at the top though I can't feel any noticeable play when it's in the box. Certainly no side to side play.

[/b]Question, the bearings and peg that mount on the pitman shaft do rotate but take a bit of effort to do so. I read that the pre-load is like 3 inch pounds. My understanding is the peg is suppose to rotate in the worm. I pushed down on the pitman arm with the cover off and couldn't get the peg to rotate in the worm and I turned the shaft. Maybe it just needs to be under a lot more pressure to rotate. There are not any flat spots on the peg so maybe its ok?

1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it still had oil in it, it's probably just fine. Probably just need seals. Remember that when the worm gear is turned by that big ass steering wheel, there is a lot of torque applied to the pitman arm, and that is keeping a 3000 lb straight and turning properly. The catch at center is good. It was all designed by wery, wery schmart Cherman enchineers, with much exsperience on Kafers, Shplit vindows and Transhporters!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1967250s wrote:
If it still had oil in it, it's probably just fine. Probably just need seals. Remember that when the worm gear is turned by that big ass steering wheel, there is a lot of torque applied to the pitman arm, and that is keeping a 3000 lb straight and turning properly. The catch at center is good. It was all designed by wery, wery schmart Cherman enchineers, with much exsperience on Kafers, Shplit vindows and Transhporters!

Thanks for the reply.

So, what is the reasoning for the "catch" at the center point on a bay steering gear but bugs don't have it?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 23

Jump to: