Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermostat Challenge
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
Manfreds78bay wrote:
udidwht wrote:
Don't bother trying to reinvent the wheel. Go with the following and it will be the last one you buy.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1036746

Hey I don't want to at all. so are you saying if this thing fails for whatever reason besides a bad install...it will be covered under warranty.

According to the seller Volk. Yes. He does great work. The material he uses for the t stats is better than the original OEM and will handle the heat cycling much better over the long term.

The Ad wrote:
All units come with a 2 year warranty.

a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfreds78bay wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
How about a bellows and a rod or cable connecting to some flaps. Should run a hundred thousand miles quite easily between fairly inexpensive repair jobs. No wiring, vacuum hoses, dashpots, actuators or sensors of any kind needed. Wink

Man....I cant imagine who would undertake an, engineering feat like that.... Wink
Ray

I know make fun all you like. But maybe I got a bad one. but from reading other posts and my own experiences...these things suck. Am I in the minority?

Yes. Are you saying you've had an AP thermostat fail on you? Or a 45 year-old one? I've never heard of an AP thermostat failing; all his work that I've seen has been outstanding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AP thermostat has worked well for me for the last 8 months. No problems.

Well worth the money. Simple and easy installation. I like the bicycle cable idea. The stock cable always seems to be JUST long enough to attach to the linkage.

I was surprised to find out how long it took for the thermostat to open. On the type 1 engines you really couldn't see the operation of the flaps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
udidwht wrote:
Manfreds78bay wrote:
udidwht wrote:
Don't bother trying to reinvent the wheel. Go with the following and it will be the last one you buy.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1036746

Hey I don't want to at all. so are you saying if this thing fails for whatever reason besides a bad install...it will be covered under warranty.

According to the seller Volk. Yes. He does great work. The material he uses for the t stats is better than the original OEM and will handle the heat cycling much better over the long term.

The Ad wrote:
All units come with a 2 year warranty.

Yea I get that is what is says, but I don't want the warranty not to be cover the thermostat if it gets oil on it or some other BS.

Well sounds like all good feed back. I'll pick one up!

But still it would be cool to find a cheaper way to do this. The freaking cable only has to move 2 inches.

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfreds78bay wrote:
The freaking cable only has to move 2 inches.

FWIW, probably closer to 5/8", maybe less.

Not a bad system really. On my Bay I am on my third used thermostat in 24 years. Small rocks getting stuck between the bellows and wearing holes has been the failure mode on the ones I have needed to replace. When they only cost a few dollars it was not a big deal to replace them.

For a vacuum system, the dual step temperature sensing vacuum valve out of the air cleaner of a mid seventies VW might work well coupled with a vacuum dash pot.

Electrically you could do it with a temperature sensor, a control module of some sort, and a servo. Someone in the electronics industry could probably design the system in an hour.
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great thread, I'm sold on the AP thermostat.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: