Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

generator shims
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommylg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: generator shims Reply with quote

The beIt is loose - more than a 1/2 inch of play. I have 4 shims on the outside and 6 shims on the inside.
W/a new Continental belt where should I start w/the shims?
Thanks much, Tommy
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Continental belts are very thin and will need most of the shims removed from between the pulley halves. Sometimes they flip and run upside down if you have the wrong offset and pulley alignment or the wrong pulley! Even though the Continental belt is OEM for the Type 1 engine I have found with all the aftermarket pulleys and mis matched parts the Gates belts are more forgiving even though they don't match the generator pulley very well.
TexasAircooledParts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try a Continental "Alternator" belt, they are a little wider/longer "11.3x912" vs "9.5x905". They make up for the clearence. Also, as Danwvw already mentioned, you could have the wrong pulley like a power pulley, which takes a smaller belt all together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have 4 shims on the outside and 6 shims on the inside."

I've never viewed shim placement as gospel. What you're trying to do is get the belt to proper tension without the cupped outer washer bottoming out on the armature shaft and still have adequate thread for tightening the nut.

Remove inner shims one at a time until you get close to the proper tension. Or if too tight, add shims until the belt will seat around the generator pulley. It helps if you have a wrench that fits the crank pulley screw. Turning the crank, belt, generator while tightening the generator nut helps keep the pulley halfs from pinching the belt.

Bring the belt to approximately 1/2" deflection per Bentley. Recheck the belt deflection at 100 miles and 500 miles. Most belts will stretch. The belt will usually have more tension when the engine's warm. While cold, I try turning the generator pulley by hand. If I can almost turn the engine over by hand with little or no generator pulley slippage, I consider the tension good. Not too tight, not too loose.

Of course this will vary based on the belt used and the amount of wear on your pulleys.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: