Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Black Fastback Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 214, 215, 216  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 was the last year for seat release cables so the square nut would be used if you're keeping stock seats. The other four holes don't belong there.

311 881 919
Cable -Backrest lock
to Ch. No. 317 500 000
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gavs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Deep within the dregs of bodywork and fab,
Inspiration seems to slip away...

At the beginning, the project is new, and the stoke is strong.
Good thing, because the project is full of rusty holes and covered in grime.
By the time the rust and grime are gone, so is much of the stoke.
The part of you that is exited gets smaller and smaller, and the part of you that hates it gets bigger and bigger.
Even as it becomes cleaner and less rusty...

Many projects are abandoned right like mine here is - almost ready for paint.
There are a couple of other projects on this forum, right about here in their build, that we don't seem to be hearing as much from, either... Wink

So,
To keep the dream alive, i do some more of what i like - messing about with motors.

Starting to think a bit about the 'big motor'.
Just setting the stuff out, and doing a bit of inventory, and a little shopping helps keep the fire burning deep within.

I hope...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mmmm, i just dribbled a bit Drool

Interesting what you said about motivation Steve. I'm currently doing night school to learn more about where metal goes when you bash it (most of the time not where I want it!) with a hammer and the old bloke running the course said that the reason most projects stagnate and end up in classifieds as 'un-finished project car for sale' is because the person doing it started in the wrong place, the main structural shell of the car like we all see on tv shows and in pro body shops.

He suggested that when taking on one of these projects in ones backyard, to start with the un-bolting things like guards, bonnets, decklids etc then the larger surface areas like roofs, firewalls, floors then get onto the fiddly stuff.

I know that there isn't much point mentioning this now considering you're so far into your sheet metal resto work but maybe for others starting out, it's good info. It helps with the motivation, seeing big things like guards being completed (which are also generally easier to repair as well) means that by the time the little, itty-bitty bits that need repairing are gotten to, they're not so scary anymore and it just becomes a methodical process. i for one was going down the path of 'unbolt and remove everything from the body shell and start there and leave the easy things like guards to the end' but now after moving metal around on the guards and making larger, curved patches for visible areas, i can now stand back and look at something like this:

and now know exactly how to replace that rusted out metal in the easiest and most efficient way possible.

Keep pushing through man, this thread is a great source of motivation for those of us just starting out on our own restos Applause
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter, well, motivation he has passed on to many here including myself. He has also shown that with a little help from his friends things get done. The fact that he is still at it shows some determination & spirit. It is good to walk away for a bit to do other things that need addressing, gives you a new prospective. Great job on all fronts Applause
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Deep within the dregs of bodywork and fab,
Inspiration seems to slip away...

At the beginning, the project is new, and the stoke is strong.
Good thing, because the project is full of rusty holes and covered in grime.
By the time the rust and grime are gone, so is much of the stoke.
The part of you that is exited gets smaller and smaller, and the part of you that hates it gets bigger and bigger.
Even as it becomes cleaner and less rusty...

There are a couple of other projects on this forum, right about here in their build, that we don't seem to be hearing as much from, either... Wink

So,
To keep the dream alive, i do some more of what i like - messing about with motors.

Starting to think a bit about the 'big motor'.
Just setting the stuff out, and doing a bit of inventory, and a little shopping helps keep the fire burning deep within.

I hope...

Nothin' like a well worked over set of big valve, 3-stud, Porsche 2.0L heads, KB pistons, H-beam rods and a stoker T-4 crank (I'll assume the box is appropriately marked) to warm the heart and re-ignite the fire to Git-R-done!! God bless you sir!! Hell, I feel more motivated and I'm about to hop in my car and drive home. I hope there's a winged H*nda fart-car to bash on the drive. . . Twisted Evil Wink

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nate, you guys still have winged fart cars out there? Most of them up here have removed the cheese slicers & put tape over the holes.
EatACactus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read through all 40 pages of your build and all I have to say is... you guys need to put some damn shoes on! Laughing

But seriously, top notch work. Your attention to detail is crazy! I wish I had the energy to put in work like you. Bravo!

Clatter wrote:

Guilty as charged Sad I've been slacking majorly on my Square build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Clatter man , did you fall off the face of the Earth or just not had any car time? Laughing looking forward to an update bro! Very Happy

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Sidetracked! Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm getting sick of this bodywork thing...
I spent a few days adjusting the fit of the doors and front fenders and hood and clip.
And it didn't seem to get any closer the more I messed with it...

So, I started straightening up the mess, and putting different motor parts in different piles.
That's where that last pic of the parts for the 'big motor' came from.

So, a few of the parts on the opposite ends of the spectrum got stacked up into a pile.
A bunch of these old junk parts all seemed like they would go together.
And like Arlo said "And we thought since one big pile was better than two little piles.."
So, I found that all of these junky parts could just go together, and Bam! another motor!

So it was decided that another build thread might be nice.
Since what we had here was a bus motor, it seemed helpful to put it together for our type 4 bus friends.
An intermediate/novice builder's How-to Build a Bus Motor.
So, I went to the Performance/Engines/Racing forum,
And a bunch of trolls were spouting off as usual,
It really didn't feel like fun posting there to be 'instructed' how it was all wrong....
So I just went over to my Oooollld favorite the STF, and just put it up there.

So, if you want to see a bus motor put together from junk parts - check it out:
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853

ANyways,
That project is stalled waiting for some parts, and should be done fairly soon, so hopefully, That Loving Feeling will come back to my Fastback project soon here....

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidetracked! Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
I spent a few days adjusting the fit of the doors and front fenders and hood and clip.

So, I started straightening up the mess, and putting different motor parts in different piles.

So, a few of the parts on the opposite ends of the spectrum got stacked up into a pile.
And like Arlo said "And we thought since one big pile was better than two little piles.."
So, I found that all of these junky parts could just go together, and Bam! another motor!

Since what we had here was a bus motor, it seemed helpful to put it together for our type 4 bus friends.
It really didn't feel like fun posting there to be 'instructed' how it was all wrong....

ANyways,
That project is stalled waiting for some parts, and should be done fairly soon, so hopefully, That Loving Feeling will come back to my Fastback project soon here....

I tried replying to this post earlier today, but the stupid cloud flares were giving me a hard time trying to post.
I looked at the thread over there, and found it most interesting. I'm going to have to keep an eye on it, as I might learn something that might help my son out with his t-4 project (1.7L for his Roadster). I only say that, as we never tore it down as far as you've already done (since you're actually building it up from scrap).
Keep up the good work on it, as your bodywork project will be waiting for you whenever you get in the mood to go back to it. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Keepin' On Reply with quote

So, a bit more car stuff went on over the weekend...

Saturday a few hours got snuck in, and it was peripheral to the Fasty, sort of.

Last three or four core type 4s I took apart, most all of the little hardware items went into an old wooden drawer.
(after they got tanked first)
Because I'm building the Sweep the Floor bus motor, and the "Big" motor for this car is going to happen one day, the parts needed cleaned and sorted.
The best parts out of the drawer got cleaned and put on the shelf where the Big motor is,
And the worst of the parts, that are still decent and serviceable, got cleaned up and put on the bench for the junk bus motor I'm doing.
Everything else got put in another drawer.
Here is a very small finished part of the project laid out:

Lots and lots and lots of wire-wheeling.
My hands cramp doing this after six or seven hours straight.
Even worse is how the bench is a bit low, and it makes a glowing hot coal in the middle of your lower back.
It does make a difference, though.
Before and after with the wire wheel.

Inspecting things; Here's just one small example.
This fan hub got dinged, which isn't a big deal,
But add in how the bosses for the fan mounting are all wallered out,
And this thing gets tossed.
That's why they run that big flat washer between the fan and hub.

Anyways, the drawer still has a bunch of little parts in it.
Any of you guys want to come by and finish wire-wheeling bolts, please feel free anytime! Laughing

In the case of my Sweep the Floor motor, the tanked and wire wheeled fasteners are ready to go on.
The ones slated for the Big Motor are still going to get glass bead blasted, then shipped off to Oregon for white cad.
(same as my 2056 from the beginning of this thread)
The lot of Big Motor bolts will go out with the bolts for the whole rest of the car.
I'm sure I will then die shortly thereafter from "hydrogen embrittlement".. Rolling Eyes Laughing

So, today, after being sick of wire-wheeling, working on that front clip didn't seem so bad after all...
Believe it or not, the front clip got picked up and moved!!
No, really, it did! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Welded the PO holes so dutifully reported by our brothers here,
And also shaved the square nuts for the seat releases.
(thanks again for the info guys)
Tram claims he is going to make me some seat releases that mount to the seat base.
(claims..)
So, for the record, it took me two hours to fill five holes and shave two nuts,
And I'm actually getting pretty quick at this stuff.
Shows why the pros get as much money as they do.
Because the customer might not think that filling five holes and shaving two nuts would take two hours.
It does.

Here's something that sucks;
Somehow the top insides of the clip got dented out from the inside,
And it shows.
So it got hammer/dollied a bit while it was lying there.
Oh, wait, I had to flip the clip over a couple more times! Laughing
Won't this be fun to fill and block-sand? Rolling Eyes

After the clip was back on the car, couldn't resist checking fits.
Before, when it was off, I took the liberty of tweaking it some more.
And, wouldn't you know it, it actually started to fit a good bit better! Shocked
The patch pieces for the passenger side almost just dropped into place, with no push/pull at all!

The whole right side just fell into line easily.
Couldn't resist throwing a couple sheet metal screws in.

Left side was better, too.
Didn't need an inch of mis-match with the curve drawn in with the screws...

Not that it's all roses and candy...
The driver's side up at the top of the cowl is still like 1/4" off.
And, once the pass side was screwed down elsewhere, this top part got wonky.
You can see where it was welded back together, so you can't really blame it.
This thing needs to suck up tight in there towards the center of the car,
Not be sticking out like this.
The vertical seam piece on the clip needs to be flush with the same vertical seam inside the cowl there.
It can be clamped in place reasonably easy, and that's likely how it will go when final welds happen,
But there are still far too many places like this that just don't fit/make sense, and could mess things up.
When there's only like a dozen or so, I'll go for the big weld-on.

So anyways, the clip is getting closer, ever so slightly, I'm creeping up on it...

What’s That Noise?!?
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sidetracked! Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

ANyways,

totally understand, everyone gets burnt out after a while of working on the same thing over and over again. thanks for the link to the motor build thread.... love me a good motor build

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Keepin' On Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

The whole right side just fell into line easily.
Couldn't resist throwing a couple sheet metal screws in.

Left side was better, too.
Didn't need an inch of mis-match with the curve drawn in with the screws...

Not that it's all roses and candy...
The driver's side up at the top of the cowl is still like 1/4" off.
And, once the pass side was screwed down elsewhere, this top part got wonky.
You can see where it was welded back together, so you can't really blame it.
This thing needs to suck up tight in there towards the center of the car,
Not be sticking out like this.
The vertical seam piece on the clip needs to be flush with the same vertical seam inside the cowl there.
It can be clamped in place reasonably easy, and that's likely how it will go when final welds happen,
But there are still far too many places like this that just don't fit/make sense, and could mess things up.
When there's only like a dozen or so, I'll go for the big weld-on.

So anyways, the clip is getting closer, ever so slightly, I'm creeping up on it...

I'm wondering if when you seperated the the front clip, you tweeked some bits of it, that are now giving you fits. Add in that the left side had been side swipped, and repaired back in the day, if some of that repair work is still haunting you, by not letting the "new" metal fit correctly. This might be something you're going to have to investigate further. It might be a case of having to jack/pull the "A" post to get it to fit right. Shocked I mean you guys did have to repair a dent in the dash, which means things moved quite a bit on the left side.
You're probably going to have to adjust both parts you're trying to fit together, in order to get it to fit right.

You're making great progress, and maybe you need to do some engine work 1 or 2 days, and screw around with the body for a 1/2 day. That way you can clear your mind. Wink Keep up the great work. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Clatter, I was thinking the same as Bobnotch on your fitment issues. Is that the original front sheet metal to your car? A good hit on a car will have damage all over the place & now you are chasing little demons. Just thinking out loud. I think you maybe on the right track with the engine build break & then back to the body work with a fresh mind set.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing really to offer here. Been a while and two bike projects since I touched the car. Good thing is I only have two more to go before I can get back to the car. More importantly though, I wanted to say thanks! For the awesome write on the budget motor Now out of curiosity, what can you tell a fellow about those 3 stud heads? Keep up the good work and I always look forward to reading your updates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob and Eyetzr, you guys are totally right.
It is very much time to have a big measuring session.

One thing that just came to me, is to check that the body-to-tunnel mount bolts didn't move in their holes when the car dived off of the stands! Shocked
The holes in the tunnel where the frame-head, and tunnel, and such, mount up are much larger than they need to be, in order to have a bunch of adjustment.
(and to allow slop in manufacturing)
Bet you the body is wacked over to one side or the other in the adjustment range now.

Going to also get diagonal and right-angle measurements from the mount/pick-up bolts/points under there to see if I can measure any caddy-wompusness.

Like Bob said, when the clip got cut off of its donor car, it got tweaked.
And, I know my car got tweaked a bit in a few odd places where I cut the old bent front clip off.

Also going to take a long straight-edge and measure the depth of the curve of the A-pillar.
Perhaps they didn't push that pillar all the way back to where it belongs.
Might have to borrow a Porta-Power.
Hope not...

And, yes, Eyetzr, the front hood, front clip, left and right front fenders, and both doors _ALL_ came from different cars. Wink
Not all came from _A_ different car;
Each all came from different cars.
One fender was dark blue, one fender was red, the hood was tan, the clip was light blue, one door was NOS....
None of these parts have ever fit to each other before.

Something that is cool, that also sucks, is that the 'original' (replaced after the wreck) driver's door, where the side-swipe was fixed, fits better, and fits differently than any of the other doors when I test-fit it. It's been fitted to the side-swipe situation as it sits.
And it has holes rusted in the bottom and a bunch of repair work on the skin.... Rolling Eyes

So, there are a lot of factors working against me here.
This car was in a massive accident, and resurrected, even though it was a total.
Now I know why the shop that it sat at for years, and the original owner, were acting the way they did when I was in the buying process, and later saw them and talked about the car.
It all makes sense now....
When I'm like "Hey, man, I'm fixing up that one black fastback... bla bla bla..",
They don't really look me in the eye, or really even look at me; they get uncomfortable, shift their weight and look at their feet.
Everybody knew, but nobody ever said "That car was in a massive accident, bro, and should have been totaled".
Like I never would have found out if they didn't say anything.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
It all makes sense now.
Always wondered what the deal was, and what everybody was hiding.
Now I know.
Damn, the old 'gut instinct'... Fusking thing is just _always_ right in the end, ain't it?
They say that the most valuable skill todays high-paid executives have is the ability to read that gut (subconscious)...

Anyhow,

3-stud heads are The Shiz, Jason! Laughing
Dig around on the old type4rum, and you will learn about the many ways they are better than the rest! Very Happy

Maybe, just maybe, the Big Motor will be going together before the car itself is done.
If that is the case, the motor build will be done here in all of it's anal-retentive long-rambling-too-many-words glory.

Even better, something that nobody mentioned,
Are those part numbers along the base of the cylinders.
Oh, there's a big old long rant/story there... Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good news for you.

I got moving on those carb levers and have someone laser cutting them. I'm having 8 sets of them made; will have them here in a couple weeks.
I don't have a welder here though. Maybe you could index them proper and weld or have your friend Jim weld them together?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Bob and Eyetzr, you guys are totally right.
It is very much time to have a big measuring session.

One thing that just came to me, is to check that the body-to-tunnel mount bolts didn't move in their holes when the car dived off of the stands! Shocked
The holes in the tunnel where the frame-head, and tunnel, and such, mount up are much larger than they need to be, in order to have a bunch of adjustment.
(and to allow slop in manufacturing)
Bet you the body is wacked over to one side or the other in the adjustment range now.

Going to also get diagonal and right-angle measurements from the mount/pick-up bolts/points under there to see if I can measure any caddy-wompusness.

Like Bob said, when the clip got cut off of its donor car, it got tweaked.
And, I know my car got tweaked a bit in a few odd places where I cut the old bent front clip off.

Also going to take a long straight-edge and measure the depth of the curve of the A-pillar.
Perhaps they didn't push that pillar all the way back to where it belongs.
Might have to borrow a Porta-Power.
Hope not...

And, yes, Eyetzr, the front hood, front clip, left and right front fenders, and both doors _ALL_ came from different cars. Wink
Not all came from _A_ different car;
Each all came from different cars.
One fender was dark blue, one fender was red, the hood was tan, the clip was light blue, one door was NOS....
None of these parts have ever fit to each other before.

Something that is cool, that also sucks, is that the 'original' (replaced after the wreck) driver's door, where the side-swipe was fixed, fits better, and fits differently than any of the other doors when I test-fit it. It's been fitted to the side-swipe situation as it sits.
And it has holes rusted in the bottom and a bunch of repair work on the skin.... Rolling Eyes

So, there are a lot of factors working against me here.

Yeah, I definitely think there are several things working against you. If the "A"post needed to be moved, I'd bolt it back back up to the pan (actual or roller) before I did any pushing (it'll hold the bottom in place). I mean it's possible that during the fall it might have moved, but that really depends on how far it fell, and how hard it landed.

It's a shame you couldn't just "re-skin" the door that fits, but that might be more work than you want to get into.

I'd definitely do some measuring, and maybe even attach a pan to help with getting things aligned. It might make a difference in how everything fits. I'm not saying it will, but it could. I have a feeling that you're going to have to adjust both parts in order to get it all to fit right though, and possibly have to do some "jacking" to get the left door to align right (both A" and "B" posts).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Some good news for you.

I got moving on those carb levers and have someone laser cutting them. I'm having 8 sets of them made; will have them here in a couple weeks.
I don't have a welder here though. Maybe you could index them proper and weld or have your friend Jim weld them together?

Yep, I'm all over it.
Sounds like a job for Jim, or Pablo, or...?

Just say the word...

You the MAN! Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad I live far away, I would weld them up for ya. As for the heads, I have a set here, that I walnut blasted, inspected and ready to be sent out. Right now, I think I am going to stick with the stock 1.8 and a set of 40mm webers. Than start piecing together a bigger motor. Now about those liners...do tell fine sir.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woops, fell of onto the second page again.... Slacking!
See my STF build to see why...

To Jason37:

If you ever see any of these grab them.
These part numbers on the side supposedly make all the difference...

The OEM cylinders were made in Germany by KS or the old German Mahle.
They are reportedly stronger, more stable, and more dimensionally accurate than any of the others made since.
Knowing how other things in our world work, it has to be true, right? Wink

Since they are likely worn beyond service as 94s, you send them out to be taken over to 96.
Then, you get to pick your fit, based upon your piston and it's desired clearance.
And,
you get to pick your finish, depending upon the rings.
Plus,
They have been 'seasoned'; heat-cycled thousands of times and left in the cold winter overnight for 30-plus years.
In certain antique car circles, iron blocks being left outside for years is considered a prime treatment.

Also gives a chance to upgrade to a set of pistons with the smaller/lighter 22mm pin.

So, maybe its all a bunch of malarkey, but I, for one, chose to believe it! Very Happy

If you can't find any, then you can choose to not believe it, and save yourself grief.
Kind of like some people do with global warming.... Laughing

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 214, 215, 216  Next
Jump to:
Page 40 of 216

Jump to: