Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

American Girl
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brooklyn thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: American Girl Reply with quote

I'm primarily a THING guy, but has anyone seen the American Girl beetle? It's pretty cool. At $350, my wife says we could just buy a project car, park it in the driveway and let our daughter play in that.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to waste your money on a doll's car?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brooklyn thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't "waste" a matter of opinion? Money wasted on project cars that never get on the road? I probably have double that in vintage VW advertising , Thing and Beetle toys. Not to mention VW Xmas tree ornaments.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right... i'm not into toys. But maybe you are and that's all that matters.

Sorry, no offense meant.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen photos of it.

Here's a link
http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/item/id/206648/uid/497

I would never buy it myself but I could understand another Beetle enthusiast or toy collector purchasing it.

IMHO all American Girl stuff is insanely overpriced.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this toy in the American Girl store in Miami, and it's impressive.

Aside from having to format the car to fit two dolls, the car is surprisingly authentic, right down to a perfect Saffire radio in the dash with the VOLKSWAGEN script on the faceplate. (And the car has a working radio!)

These toys have been available for several years, and if someone in your family were an American Girl doll collector (and there are plenty of adult collectors, not just kids), it would be a pretty hard item to resist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: American Girl Reply with quote

brooklyn thing wrote:
I'm primarily a THING guy, but has anyone seen the American Girl beetle? It's pretty cool. At $350, my wife says we could just buy a project car, park it in the driveway and let our daughter play in that.

$350 is an outrageous price. It's a nice model but that's just extortion, because somebody's little girl is going to be screaming to get one and AG knows it's going to be worth $350 to some parent to stop the tantrums. I know, I had two girls, but thankfully between my wife and I we resisted the pressures.

Dang, don't I sound like a Scrooge...

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't the guy from silence of the lamb's collect doll's?
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It puts the doll into the toy VW!" Smile
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just when I thought vw people couldn't get weirder, it happened. Maybe time get into Citroen's or Fiat's

lol jk those people are way weirder
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: American Girl Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
brooklyn thing wrote:

$350 is an outrageous price. It's a nice model but that's just extortion, because somebody's little girl is going to be screaming to get one and AG knows it's going to be worth $350 to some parent to stop the tantrums. I know, I had two girls, but thankfully between my wife and I we resisted the pressures.

Dang, don't I sound like a Scrooge...

Spoken like someone who has never seen one (or been confronted by one) in person. It's huge, well over two feet long. The American Girl store is filled with thousands of items, and yes, it's pricey doll stuff, but this VW convertible is the star of the entire store. If you owned a mid '70s blue ragtop, you'd have to have one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sub-hatchtim wrote:
Well just when I thought vw people couldn't get weirder, it happened. Maybe time get into Citroen's or Fiat's

lol jk those people are way weirder
I guess I am really weird and I am I drive a vw thing and a citroen
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: American Girl Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
$350 is an outrageous price.

Spoken like someone who has never seen one (or been confronted by one) in person. It's huge, well over two feet long. The American Girl store is filled with thousands of items, and yes, it's pricey doll stuff, but this VW convertible is the star of the entire store. If you owned a mid '70s blue ragtop, you'd have to have one.

No, I haven't seen one in person, but I've seen the pics on the American Girl website. It's a nice model with some good detail. But pricey is the key word. I do not see anything inherent in the materials or the workmanship of what I assume is a plastic toy car that justifies the $350 price. I have Sun Star 1/18th scale Beetle and Bus metal models that are infinitely more detailed and much higher quality that go for much less. You can get 8 Barbie cars for that price. The Beetle is much more detailed than any of the Barbie cars, but I don't think it justifies a price tag 8 times higher.

In my opinion, the buyer is paying for the strength of the American Girl brand and marketing effort.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's apples and oranges.

I get why an adult man might not want a doll car, but you need to examine one fresh out of the box before judging it for quality. Pictures don't do it justice. The blue finish on the body is stunning, the chrome perfect and the fit of the parts is amazing. Everywhere you look you see quality details. I was blown away. (And yes, the American Girl trademark does up the retail price, but the quality is insane.)

I was notl that impressed with Sun Star, and to claim the quality is "infinitely" better is just wrong. Yes has more detail, but will it transport two large dolls? (Plus the convertible is easily twice the size of a Sun Star.)

And saying metal is better than plastic is a boring old debate. I've collected VW toys for 35 years, and I collect in all mediums, diecast, steel, tin and plastic, and I don't see one appreciably better than another.

Bottom like, would I pay $350 for one? No. It the quality crazy good and could it be worth it? Yes.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your assessment. And there are things about the Sun Stars that annoy me. Like the fact that their 1949 sedan has fresh air heater boxes. After all the trouble they went to getting the rest of the detail right, why get such an obvious item incorrect?

Glad my daughters are too old to be asking for an AG vert...they wouldn't get it anyway and then I'd have to put up with the drama.

preciador6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: American Girl Convertible Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: