Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn grille directionals..How-To
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Horn grille directionals..How-To Reply with quote

Ok students ; todays lesson will discuss putting directional lights behind the horn grilles

When I got my 66 used fenders the PO had welded up the directional holes in the top of the fenders
This is a modification..This is not original.....This is not for everyone

I will be using two $9 trailer lights

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used an extra nut on the post to space the light in the existing hole
I drilled 1/2 inch holes in the sides of the spare tire well . Fender still removeable .

Simple ; no brackets to build ; wired in to original harness

other side.......Bent the horn support to fit light

Dual element bulb gives me directional and parkinglight Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Benfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool mod GP. Looks good behind the horn grill.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think GP does all his shopping at the truck stops. Is the light you are using double sided or 1 sided? Doubles look cool at night, kind of cheap neon (flashback)
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
I think GP does all his shopping at the truck stops.

There isn't anything you can't get from a truck stop, parts, food, clothes, a shower, women.......
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Women, really Shocked
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
Women, really Shocked

DEFINATELY !! Very Happy Very Happy
and NOT the type you take home to meet momma !!

We call them " lot lizzards " and there are even decals sold that say "NO LOT LIZZARDS " that you put on your truck so no one knocks on your truck at 2am to see if you want to " party "

Double sided light , red on the back glows under the car Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the lights you used for this project, GP. I did the same mod to my bug back in my teen years, but I only had amber trailer lights from the FLAPS to use as turn signals. I bent up brackets from 1/4" flat stock to mount the lights and "catch" one of the fender mounting bolts. Everything looked cool with the top of the fender now smoothed off.

However, when all was said and done, I quickly found out that I was getting cut-off by other drivers who apparently couldn't see my turn signal from the side of the car. All that work for nothing. Sad After that I put the turn signals inside the headlight bucket where the parking bulbs usually are and things improved a little. The entire headlight lens flashes brightly, but I don't think either modification would be considered "legal" by Mr. Policeman/woman if I were to get pulled over. At least I could probably pull the old, "My car is a European model that didn't come with turn signals on the tops of the fenders.....One year only thing for 1963!" Wink
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youngnstudly wrote:
I like the lights you used for this project, GP. I did the same mod to my bug back in my teen years, but I only had amber trailer lights from the FLAPS to use as turn signals. I bent up brackets from 1/4" flat stock to mount the lights and "catch" one of the fender mounting bolts. Everything looked cool with the top of the fender now smoothed off.

However, when all was said and done, I quickly found out that I was getting cut-off by other drivers who apparently couldn't see my turn signal from the side of the car. All that work for nothing. Sad After that I put the turn signals inside the headlight bucket where the parking bulbs usually are and things improved a little. The entire headlight lens flashes brightly, but I don't think either modification would be considered "legal" by Mr. Policeman/woman if I were to get pulled over. At least I could probably pull the old, "My car is a European model that didn't come with turn signals on the tops of the fenders.....One year only thing for 1963!" Wink

That's why I used a double sided light...the red glows under the fender and lights it up .

EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Horn grille directionals..How-To Reply with quote

Thanks Grandpa for the write-up.
jerry7297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Horn grille directionals..How-To Reply with quote

Very cool Idea. I may be doing this to my 60. Thank you sir.
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn grille directionals..How-To Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Ok students ; todays lesson will discuss putting directional lights behind the horn grilles

When I got my 66 used fenders the PO had welded up the directional holes in the top of the fenders
This is a modification..This is not original.....This is not for everyone

I will be using two $9 trailer lights

I used an extra nut on the post to space the light in the existing hole
I drilled 1/2 inch holes in the sides of the spare tire well . Fender still removeable .

Simple ; no brackets to build ; wired in to original harness

other side.......Bent the horn support to fit light

Dual element bulb gives me directional and parkinglight Cool

I loved this idea. For those of you vintage purists, the 356 Porsche horn grills also had lights in them. Some of you WW buying, bone stock preferring crowd might lean towards that direction, but those parts are even more difficult to find than a 66 hazard switch or a pristine 1300 engine.

But, re-reading this post with GP's mention of the double sided light got me to thinking....

GP, what if you painted the inside of your front fenders with something shiny and reflective?

Would that make the whole area light up under the fender even better?

I know, I'm an idea guy, I have several. My wife typically doesn't like most of them Smile.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn grille directionals..How-To Reply with quote

Here is a 20 LED turn signal light that would solve your front turn signal issue.
It's visible in direct sunlight. The LED assembly is coated on both sides to seal it against rain water and road grime.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708421&highlight=

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
eyetzr wrote:
I think GP does all his shopping at the truck stops.

There isn't anything you can't get from a truck stop, parts, food, clothes, a shower, women.......

You can add 'great scale model cars, even VW's' to that list. I don't drive a truck, but I try to gas up at truck stops from time to time just to check out their convenience store items. Many stops have a great selection of scale model cars and trucks. I recently picked up a WELLY No.22436 beetle, 1:24 scale for only $24 CDN. (similar online prices, but shipping doubles the cost). I tried to find out who their supplier was, but no luck.
rickshak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn grille directionals..How-To Reply with quote

Got the tractor trailer turn signal idea from you today. It worked out great. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: