Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signal switch repair
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
strattonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used dielectric grease and it worked great. Also, the contact points for turning right were worn down and the lever wouldn't stay engaged. I used my Dremmel to grind them down to a sharper edge and that did the trick.

I greased up the springs, the lip where the two casings rotate on each other, and packed the major spring with grease, then put a small coating between the electrical contact panels. I also packed a bunch in the cavity where the canceling tabs fit.

It's installed and working great.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I keep forgetting to put these in the Gallery then into this thread, some misc reference photos of various 1960s turn signal switches:

-Andy

Here's a "K" brand (whatever that stands for) of a 60-61 style switch.

You know, I never really researched what that circle-K logo stood for.

I did just now though, and really only took a me a couple of minutes.

That logo is actualy an L and a K, and stood for Leopold Kostal. His company, now just Kostal, still makes automotive electrical and electronic items.

Quote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's "K" brand version of the 62-65:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toys4tj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: interchangeable Reply with quote

Hi,
We have a 63 with a broken lever & just got a used turn switch from a 61.
Can I just swap them or are they not interchangeable?
We do have the wheel & horn ring from the 61 as well.
Thank you for any advice.

Last edited by toys4tj on Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of info here BUT I need to know how the switch fits on the colum . I am replacing one that I did NOT remove....I have a spring on the colum and a steering wheel......Anybody have a HOW TO on installation on a 66

HELP !!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A spring? There's a spring on the column itself that the steering wheel bears down against. But the turn signal switch clamps against the column TUBE and there should be no spring there. In other words, the spring you see here doesn't have anything to do with attaching the turn signal switch:

The turn switch attaches to the column tube: via a small screw that pushes a contact plate which bears against the tube. Here's a photo of a 66-67 turn switch were you can see the screw and contact plate:

And some other examples from the early to mid 60s:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the trick is ...there is no trick ?????
Just put the switch over the colum and tighten the setscrew
then put steering wheel on........
Thanks again ; glutamodo

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the little contact plate at the end of your setscrew, on your switch? They can fall off and using the set screw without it can really bugger up the column tube...

-Andy
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou ; yes I have the little bent plate...I'll let you know if I get stuck

Bulliwinkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my turn signal switch off this past weekend to match paint it to the NOS 1961 (one year only on pearl white cars L468 Sand Stone) steering wheel I picked up off the Samba (thanks branston!).
I thought I would show how I was able to get it re-installed for those needing to tackle the task.
I purchased 4 hemostats from Harbor Freight for $2.99 each, and used them to hold the assembly together while I installed it on the column.
The picture should clearly show how to do this.
And a big thank you to glutamodo for his insightful knowledge and pictures on this subject. I wouldn't have been able to do it without them!

'66 Velvet Green Riviera Camper
'72 Sierra Yellow Westy
'71 Chianti Red Westy ~Sold
'71 Pastel White Westy ~Sold
'61 Pearl White Sedan ~Sold

johnnypan wrote:
"John Muir was a hack mechanic who convinced thousands of people to attempt repairs they had no business attempting".
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks purdy!

That photo of the mini-hemostats on the switch is amusing. All the hemostat style clamps I have are huge compared to that, I don't know if I'd have thought of that one. (I've thought about alligator clips though but those usually don't grip right for that sort of use)

-Andy
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch repair Reply with quote

My buggy has a '67 turn signal switch that began to have the same problem as in this thread's original post, i.e. I had to keep holding the lever to keep the signal flashing because as soon as I released it would cancel. I used a small metal file to square up worn parts inside, and got it working okay. That was about 25 years ago. Then, maybe 5 years ago, it began to have the same problem. This time, I removed the big return spring. Of course, this means I have to return the lever to the middle cancel'd position, but that quickly became an automatic habbit. While it's a definite improvement, I've been looking for an alternative (weaker than stock) spring. Well, just today I discovered such a spring. It's the trigger return spring from a squirt bottle like one of these:

It seems to be working, tho not road tested yet. (Will report back in few days.)

Well, it's been more than a few days, but there's not much to report, other than it's different from having no spring at all. Better in some ways, worse in others, overall I'm leaving the weaker spring in, but... I can't seem to break the habbit of cancelling the signal myself, and sometimes the cancel mechanism cancels too soon (like after only changing to the turn lane - yeah, my steering is sloppy, need a new gear box). So I've decided to remove this part:

Last edited by MrGoodtunes on Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
AfroThunder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch repair Reply with quote

I have to give another kudos to this thread. The 'tip' was a life saver and the photos were exactly what I needed in getting this thing put back together. Thanks again Samba!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch repair Reply with quote

FYI: Here's a thread with a lot of detail photos of a 60(-61) Leopold Kostal brand turn switch:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=652163&

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch repair Reply with quote

I'm not sure that lubricating the mechanism is a good idea.

It has to rest in position, so a normal friction helps in this function.

The previous switch did not mantain well the position; I lubed it and now it is very bad, a little movement of the wheel is enough to disengage the turn signal.

Now I purchased a new one (~45 euros) it works very well, the turn position is hold very well and I'm not going to lubricate it.
jtmbee51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: turn signal switch repair Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
If you take your switch apart, BE CAREFUL!!!!! There are small springs in there that if you lose them, your done!

As far as repairing a sig switch, most advise I have heard is that it is almost impossible to disassemble, reapir,and reassemble on of those damn things!

Here a tip, loosen the screw that holds it to the column a little until the whole switch is a lilttle oose on the column.

Put some pressure on the part of the switch that attaches to the column toward the steering wheel. In other words, grab it an pull toward you (and the wheel), now while hold the pressure against the switch, tighten the screw that hold it to the column.

If you get it tight enough against the back of the wheel, the friction between the switch and the wheel will sometimes hold it in place.

This works on my 60, but I am not sure on your 67.
Quote:

Whoa!!!ICTAYLORs tip works!!!...Ive been frustrated for years with the intermittant flashing of my turn signals on my restored 66 bug...loosened the screw pulled the switch body towards the steering wheel(mine made a "click" sound) and wala! My turn signals work like a new car...Thanks IC!...Needed my blinkers to work for me to go to a car show this weekend...Now I'm legal!!...Thank you Samba Forums!!!
Wiskow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch repair Reply with quote

I have a 66 bug. The turn signal self cancel is not working. I think it is because the steering wheel doesn't engage the switch. Seems the wheel is fully seated against the black ring next to the spring, and the switch housing is as forward as i can get it with the clamping screw on the housing.
What is the spring for?

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch repair Reply with quote

I hate to ask, but since your image of the steering wheel does not show it, does it have the cancel ring installed?

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Wiskow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch repair Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I hate to ask, but since your image of the steering wheel does not show it, does it have the cancel ring installed?

Mine does

But it is slightly different. Makes me think the turn switch, steering column, and wheel I got are not all the same year.
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch repair Reply with quote

Yes it is slightly different. Correct me if I’m wrong Andy but is the one you pictured for an earlier ‘60? You can tell because of the little nubs on the face of the ring. And if they’re brass it’s for a ‘60 or ‘61.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal switch repair Reply with quote

Yeah, and while that is an image of a 60-61 cancel ring with the bakelite washers under the screws and plastic isolator underneath it, that's what came up in a quick search of my own images ( I thought I had a photo of a later one but it didn't come up, plus I don't think the spare 66 steering wheel I have in the basement has a cancel ring on it) but otherwise it still is very similar for 62-70 - same bolt pattern and same location of the cancel tab. And the image that Wiskow posted looks good to me. I mostly had to ask, since the angle of his previous image wasn't low enough to show if it was there or not.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: