Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KEP Shifting issues - Tranny pulled - *SOLVED*
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need free play in the clutch release arm itself, not just free play in the cable. If the release arm is sitting against the inside of the bellhousing while still contacting the fingers the clutch is not going to engage fully. The extra distance between the flywheel and engine would be the problem here, don't know enough about your conversion to say why things are as they are, but I do know that KEP didn't do the machining on my Vanagon-Subaru adapter correctly and I had to send it back to them to be reworked.

As for the studs or bolts (don't remember which now) supplied with my adapter kit. I decided they were junk and didn't use them but located some high quality automotive studs and used them instead.
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You need free play in the clutch release arm itself, not just free play in the cable. If the release arm is sitting against the inside of the bellhousing while still contacting the fingers the clutch is not going to engage fully. The extra distance between the flywheel and engine would be the problem here, don't know enough about your conversion to say why things are as they are, but I do know that KEP didn't do the machining on my Vanagon-Subaru adapter correctly and I had to send it back to them to be reworked.

As for the studs or bolts (don't remember which now) supplied with my adapter kit. I decided they were junk and didn't use them but located some high quality automotive studs and used them instead.

Bingo. I couldn't hear the click of the TOB against the fingers when it was installed. I put my ear against the tranny and tried forever trying to get this. Also was having trouble with pedal feedback at 12:00. I am thinking something was funky with the interaction of the fingers and the TOB. I am going to FLAPS to try to find some decent studs.. and then going to bolt it up to see if I can hear the click. If I can I know that was the issue.

On the stud issue, anyone know why they provide such easily bent / broken studs? Is it to protect their adaptor plate?

Panamerican Highway - 2014-2017
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Oh....and please remove all of that grease from the trans input shaft splines. That will melt...and centrifugal force will sling it into the disc.....ruining it in one second. It looks like some of that has already happened.
If grease has gotten on the disc you need a new one.

Use eithet a very, very thin coat of anti-seize or pure moly/graphite paste. Brush it on and then wipe it dry so only color remains. That is all it needs. Ray

Thanks for the heads up Ray. I actually just had moly grease on there when installed, but put more general grease on for all this test fitting / messing around I've been doing. I'll remove it for sure.

ejon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once you have the trans bolted back up to the engine. get an other person to help. each one turn the output flange at the same time trans in gear. if you can't turn it over the input shaft is jammed into the pilot bearing ( to long )

or you can just put some bolts in the flanges. wedge in some bars to turn it by your self
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejon wrote:
once you have the trans bolted back up to the engine. get an other person to help. each one turn the output flange at the same time trans in gear. if you can't turn it over the input shaft is jammed into the pilot bearing ( to long )

or you can just put some bolts in the flanges. wedge in some bars to turn it by your self

I'll give it a shot.

Just got off the phone with KEP then BigBore then Weddle.

Prognosis - I should have bought a 091 bellhousing and upgraded to 228 when I had the chance Confused

Since I didn't - Stage 2 is pretty mandatory according to KEP - HD (welded) cross shaft and bushing also needed to prevent bending as the 002 even 5 rib had the 16 rather than 20mm cross shaft d'oh! .. they said my cross shaft may have been bending and not letting the clutch disengage all the way..

Spoke to BigBore he recommended going with a HD shaft rather than welding my own. I saw a thread from Skills where Weddle was recommended. Called them and ordered the HD cross shaft and bushing (2 day shipping to Alaska Sad )

thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejon wrote:
The tip of your input shaft is to long looking at the photo. measure from the machined surface. starting just in front of the splines to the tip.

if you get 1 5/8's, cut it down to 1 3/16's then bevel the tip as it was.

on the factory cross shaft. the arms are only spot welded , using a stage 2 or 1 .. do a full weld on each arm or get a heavy duty one. most those are sold as empi and they do break. your better to just weld that one.

remove the return spring and you can do the welding in place. if you don't weld it, it's going to break sooner or later .

just of the clutch looks fine. KEP is the top of the line..

I'm going to see what this HD shaft looks like when it comes in and then I may decide to weld mine and have a spare. When I test fit the entire set up in my bellhousing the input shaft does not protrude from the driveshaft side of the flywheel, and there is plenty of clearance around the circumference of the input shaft inside of the flywheel if the input shaft does protrude a bit from the pilot bearing.

ejon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I called monty ( KEP) because we kinda sorta know each other . I've bought quite a few of there adapters.

when you use the term drive shaft ? that troughs me off VW's don't have one . he says with that motor there is no need to shorten the shaft, there plenty of space on the engine side, where most engine you do.

the cross shaft he said the same as I did, just weld up the stock one.

all that type adapter should be the same thickness 002 or 091

every so called heavy duty cross shaft I've seen, the steel is softer than VW's. the only thing HD about them is the arm's are thicker. plus fully welded. yet I've had those arm break off. when you look at the break the weld didn't penetrate into the shaft . this was on the gold plated type
The raw steel looking type never had a problem with..

a few years ago I had this same problem, after about 6 engine pulls, I found out that with this type TO bearing there two thickness's. only by having a stock pile of used TOB's

This was a VW motor up to a 002 trans, what it came down to was the endplay was to much.. a rebuild to care of that.
good luck I know what a pisser all thi sis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything looks ok to me. there is no need to cut the input shaft with this swap. cutting the end off won't matter, as the pilot bearing is just there, it has no bottom like a gland nut would, and it won't hit the Subaru crank

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but did make sure the bushing you installed in the end of the crank fits/slips on the tranny input shaft?

I had a similar problem on a non-vw. The pilot bearing ID was too small & I was able to push in the trans input shaft, even tho is was super tight & jambed up
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what bushing you're talking about. I have had some issues with this HD crosshaft, I actually had to file the inner ring where the inner circlip fits as it wasn't allowing it to lock. I've probably uninstalled and installed this crosshaft 20 times now attempting to get it to fit correctly..

The TOB's seem to be identical, although the new one had one spring bent so I transferred both old springs to the new one in order for them to push evenly. All seems to be well, but I won't know until I attempt to drive it again, hopefully tomorrow.

Driftin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works great now! My Manx build with a Subaru 2.0T, 6 rib, 228mm KEP stage 2, 6 puck clutch, new late TOB is exhibiting the same problem. The hydraulic clutch was just installed last night and cycled to find that something is binding in the clutch. You can move the clutch arm enough to hear the TOB engage with the clutch fingers but then it like it hits a wall - 100 lb pedal. If you put the car into gear then move it back and forth with the clutch pedal depressed you can't get the clutch to fully disengage. Also the slave cylinders don't fully cycle. All new clutch parts but used 091. I'll be watching this thread to see how you solve the problem because I think I'm in the same boat.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fixed - I had the wrong size of master cylinder7/8" and switched to a 3/4". Also my hydraulic setup was 2" to high making the pedal hard to depress. You can see the Frankenclutch setup I have. Now that it works I will have to clean up my fab job. Great lightweight feel for a new 2 stage clutch.

Last edited by Driftin on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright folks, exact same problem still happening. Just freaking tweaked on the thing for a week or so, took a while to get back in as the new starter had some fitment issues etc!

Can this be something internal to the transmission, or would that not make sense because it will shift while not running?

I cranked the clutch adjustment down to where essentially the TOB is on the fingers (hardly any pedal freeplay) to make sure it is disengaging fully, still the same result. It feels like I'm trying to press against a wall when trying to engage in gear, yet I don't hear any grinding either...

New - Clutch Cable/clevis pin, cleaned / lubed clutch cable tube, bowden tube, TOB, TOB Arm, TOB Arm bushing (HD Bronze).

It is a bit of a bear to press the clutch, could this stage 2 still be the freaking problem ( I say freaking while I mean much worse and am about to burn this thing to the fucking ground ). Beyond frustrated!

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the trans worked before, not likely an issue there.

the stage 2 will feel like a dump truck clutch. lets go back to square 1 here. I think you are over adjusting your clutch, and you need to be careful as you can collapse the pressure plate. when that happens, it will feel like you are stepping on a water balloon.

that said, your throw out bearing SHOULD NOT be touching the pressure plate. it can be close as a razor blade, but should not be touching the p/p

take your clutch arm and by hand move it as if you are stepping on the clutch (pull arm to the front of the bus)

the minute you can't move it anymore is the moment your TOB is on the p/p.

adjust your wingnut till you can jusssst move the arm a 1/16 till you hit the p/p.

that should be good enough to 1) make sure the clutch is engaged and 2) give you enough throw to disengage it via the pedal.

are you sure that the 'lever' on the clutch pedal is in fact facing the correct way?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=415802

that is for a split bus, but should be the same for a bay. if I find the thread I am thinking of, I will post it.

having that arm on the wrong way will do all sorts of evil things

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I did post the previous post after trying a few times to drive it. It is idle surging like no other so it was near impossible to actually drive in gear (if I started it in first I could not go this time around). However; I was actually able to shift into both first and second with further messing around tonight. I was really having to put some muscle behind it and I would have to do it quite quickly.

Unfortunately as I bought the bus non-running and the previous owner had put a new clutch in and was still "messing with the adjustment" I'm not exactly sure if the Transmission is totally okay, I am unsure if he was running into the same issues I was. Now that I've had a beer and a little while to calm down I am hoping it is a linkage and adjustment issue. I am not pulling the trans again until I've exhausted this possibility further. I am going to work on correcting the idle and will hopefully have more to add tomorrow.

Skills, thanks for all the advice. I backed up the adjustment so I can hear it tap. We shall see once it runs better how it acts. Also, don't think anyone's ever touched the pedal assembly but I will investigate.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should just barely move the arm to get contact.

Like I said, the stage 2 is like a dump truck clutch compared to the OE clutch. And tripple check the pedal arm for the correct position

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adjusted the cable further. So for it to be in the 3/4 - 7/8" of freeplay spec I can't hear the ting against the fingers when hand controlling the arm by hand. It is very close though so perhaps it is a razor thing margin and I don't have enough momentum to hear the ting.

I got some of the throttle issues sorted, tried it again. Definite blockage. When trying to really force it in to first it grinds then starts moving the bus forward. Argh.

This appears to be fine.

I did notice my clevis pin seems to be a bit off.. hmm.

Checked my order from aircooled.

211-721-335J Clutch Cable, 3215mm, 1971-79 Type 2, 211-721-335J
1 $7.95 $7.95
211-721-351A Clutch Cable Clevis Pin. 1972-79 Type 2, 211-721-351A
1 $2.95 $2.95
131-721-349 Clutch Cable Wing Nut, 1966-79 ALL MODELS, 131-721-349
1 $2.95 $2.95
211-721-361D Clutch Bowden Tube (Clutch Cable Sleeve), 1972-73 Beetle and Ghia, 1967-74 T2, 211-721-361D

The Clevis pin does say it is for my model, but it doesn't secure itself very well. I'll probably reinstall my old one. My bowden tube says it is actually not for my model, but the 74 and 75 both have the 002 5 Rib. Was this a mid year change or is it a typo at Aircooled ( I figured typo )

Where else can I search / try!? Is there a specific measurement of the amount of arm swing I should achieve when pressing on the pedal to make sure it in spec (that would tell me if infact I'm getting full range at the arm)..

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your clevis is wrong for sure.

*uck the book adjusting the clutch....you need to adjust it till its where IT want's to be

I have 2 buses with 1/4" of play at the pedal and the westy has 1/8" at the pedal.

I will try and take a pic. I have a trans on the bench now. either way, get something in the cable end (a small bolt will work till you get the proper clevis)

I will be back with pix in a while. elbow deep in a mini cooper now...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have an early style pin and maybe an early style cable. As a guess I would say the change from early to late occurred when VW went from the T1 engine to the T4 engine in '72 as the tranny mounting changed at that time. The early cable is shorter with the difference in length being mostly in the length of the clevis, IIRC.
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe aircooled.net must not be listing the correct clevis then. I will reinstall the old one.

The cable however is the same as the one I pulled, same length as well. It is a bit long perhaps. The differences from the earlier to later were that the earlier were shorter, so it must be the correct one (as it fits)

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75 Bus - 5 Rib 002 Tranny
Listing looks right.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResults.asp?Search=clutch+clevis+
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: