Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear wheel alignment
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgurnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: rear wheel alignment Reply with quote

Searching has led to info on the front end alignment (the post by Chris on the front end was a work of art) but I have not found anything about the rear end.

I know there are adjustment grooves in the control arm brackets for camber and toe. On my van there is no adjustment left in either groove and the tech says he can't set the alignment to where it ought to be.

Seems those grooves can be made a bit longer to get a bit more adjustment. True? How long is reasonable? Is it necessary?
Thanks
Paul
vers13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like either your rear lower control arm bushings and/or wheel bearings are the likely cause. You should first check the condition of the bushings and wheel bearings to see which has play in them. If you haven't already, replacing these with new will help your tech to be able to bring your rear wheels to proper alignment specs.
pgurnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it up on the rack this afternoon.

Both the exterior trailing arm bushings had excessive play in them.
I never thought of those big pieces of rubber wearing out...
Thanks
Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: