Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat differences on Bugs (pics would be nice)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endicott jb
Bondo King

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
jollyrogerthat1369 wrote:
I thinking I have 65 seats or one 65 and one 67, I can't tell without taking the cover off the passenger seat feels like it may have the release level on the seat back... what ya all think??
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

I was at Bugformance today asking this exact questions since my 67 has highbacks.

I was told that the 67 seat had a square/flat top on the back rest, and the earlier seats were rounded. Your driver seat looks a 67, but I am a noob, take that into account Very Happy

Your driver seat appearsa to be a 66 only seat as it has the latch at the bottom of the seat and your passenger seat looks to be a 67. Or your passenger seat is actually a later model highback that someone cut down to make into a lowback. Very odd to see but anything is possible in the vw world.

OORAH!!
1965 vw beetle(Mayble)
1968 vw beetle(Caroline)
1974 VW Panel Bus
2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins(Katey)

.|_____|.
(0\_!_/0)
.||......||.

Don't drink and post
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg353/endicott_jb/IMG_20110113_085237.jpg
When life throws you curveballs switch to boomerangs.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endicott jb wrote:
You are speaking of canadian and european cars then. All beetles that were delivered to the U.S. were deluxes and had the seat tracks. Not the wingnuts as you are describing. If your car has such wingnuts, then your car is not originally a U.S. market car.

Yes that is correct, but the title of the thread ask " Seat differences in Bugs " and that means not U.S. specific. So I added the other differences besides the ones I saw offered. People that use this web site are from all over the world.

D.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While seats may fit the tracks across the years, proper seats are specific to certain years.

Squared seat backs ended in 1964. (this is from '63, but same style for '64 and earlier)

1965 is the first year with rounded tops on the seat backs. They are one year only, since there is no seat back release. You simply push the seat back forward for access to the rear seat.

This is 1966 only. It has a seat back release arm with white knob - only for 1966.

1967 had two styles: early 1967 seat back release is same as '66, but the knobs are black. Seat fore/aft adjustment knob is black. Shifter knob is black.

Later (mid) 1967, the seat back relase was relocated up on the side of the seat back. Everythings else about this pic is wrong for '67, except steering wheel and horn bar. (This is not a '67, but the photo depicts the proper seat back realease for mid and late '67 bugs)

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
R.C.N. Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what year do the seat backs start to have the acorn like nuts
that hold the seat back to the seat frame
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
barry cox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: 67 Beetle seats Reply with quote

Can some one tell me where I can purchase seat mounts for my 67 Beetle seats?
R.C.N. Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thing I got a good set that are take outs they will be bead blasted bare metal I'd go 75$ shipped
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnfraser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

does anybody know if 64 and earlier seat bottoms will fit a pan with a track on it? i have a 64 but someoene has put a 65-67 seats and pan in.

also.. if i bought the correct seat backs, so they fit the earlier style covers, will they fit on the later seat bottoms that i already have?

thanks
johnfraser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also is it the same coconut seat pad? Would prefer to get a early seat frame to fit the late seat bottom if that is possible.
johnfraser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump Smile
DJ007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Are you selling those seats or have any to sell? Reply with quote

Endicott jb wrote:
These are the 64 and earlier seat frames. Notice how the frame wraps around the top of the back.

If you look closely at these ones, you can see that the side tubes stop just near the top and the levers down by the sides. This shows that these are 66, or 67 seat backs.

In this link, you can clearly tell that it is a 65 seat frame.
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3972/1161/22428080003_large.jpg
DJ007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 64 - 67 front Seats (pics would be nice) Reply with quote

Does anyone here have any 1964 - 67 front seats they are willing to sell or know where I can get some good seat frames? Please reach out to me.

Thanx,

DJ
Stoney Hawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat differences on Bugs (pics would be nice) Reply with quote

I learned today that my seats have date stamps on them. January 1965 built beetle.This photo is from the passenger seat and I also noticed my rear seat has a date stamp as well but I haven’t been able to locate any dates on some 66 seats I have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Seat differences on Bugs (pics would be nice) Reply with quote

My 61 cabrio has a date of upholstery assembly 23/01/61 and the assemblers name. This is one day before my 13th birthday!
klroger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat differences on Bugs (pics would be nice) Reply with quote

My 1966 Canadian deluxe does not have the later adjusters.. Does anyone know if the Canadian ones were different????
TryToBeOriginal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat differences on Bugs (pics would be nice) Reply with quote

I have read through this thread so many times and it is invaluable.

I do want to add that there is a difference between 56/57 seat frames and 58 - 64 which I found posted over at Sewfine that was really useful as well.

https://sewfineproducts.com/56-57-Bug-frames-VS-58-64-Bug-frames

I am curious as I see in the classifieds people call out seat year ranges. Is there a difference in the rear seat through out the years of the beetle? What about the rear seat support bar?
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Seat differences on Bugs (pics would be nice) Reply with quote

Just a quick question. When did the seat tracks get larger? I have my highbacks listed that they fit 56-70, is this correct?
•(__)•
(O\!/O) <--- supposed to look like a beetle Very Happy
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Seat differences on Bugs (pics would be nice) Reply with quote

Can a 65-67 seat back be put on 64 and earlier bottoms?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daveydad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat differences on Bugs (pics would be nice) Reply with quote

Thy

Last edited by daveydad on Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
TryToBeOriginal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat differences on Bugs (pics would be nice) Reply with quote

daveydad wrote:
Thinking of buying these seats for my '67 that supposedly came out of a '67. Can anyone comfirm these are definitely early '67 seats?

They look like 65/66 seat. They are missing the release on the side of the back rest.
fotoroadie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Seat differences on Bugs (pics would be nice) Reply with quote

Can the recline mechanism on a 58-64 Passenger seat be converted to a Driver's seat ?

In other words can I convert a Pass seat into a Driver's seat with it's parts or the recline parts from a donor Driver seat ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: