Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Non z-bar early body on 68 swing-axle pan with z-bar
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iancorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Non z-bar early body on 68 swing-axle pan with z-bar Reply with quote

A giant tree limb fell on and dented the roof of my 68 project car. The chassis is great needs nothing and titled. I think the easiest thing will be to find an orphan body and swap it for my now ruined 68's. I have a few potential candidates that I have found on craigslist. The best being a fairly rust free 65 for $400. My question is this, my 68 is a swing-axle car with the z-bar (which has been rebuilt via wolfsburg west parts). As far as I know the 66 and older bodies do not have the cut out or mounting studs for the z-bar brackets.

Can I mount the 65 body to the 68 pan and delete the z-bar setup?

Or will I need cut out the z-bar section of the 68's body and fabricate it onto the 65 body?

I want to make this as simple and painless as possible any advice would be appreciated, I did a quick search but couldn't get a good answer from the 67 and earlier forum or the 68 and up. I will add a picture of my sad 68 when I get home.

Thanks,
gargamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I can really tell you is that my 68 was missing the Z-bar. Many have it missing or have taken it out, either due to the clanking sound it made or they saw no real use for it. Whatever the reason, your bug will not fall to bits without it. Earlier swing axles did not have it and I doubt there were rolling over. That part came out in the last years of the swing axle so I would imagine you would be fine with careful driving (swing axle and all...)

I bet you could fabricate it to fit on, if you know what you are doing and dont mind some wondering why you went thru all that trouble for some part that some may think is odd. I know it does serve a purpose so I can't count it out.
iancorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me I'd use the 65 body and just not bother with the z bar setup. Once you swap bodies it's kind of pointless to worry about keeping it for any sort of concern over stock or originality of the car.

If you are concerned over it's functionality you can get much the same thing using a "camber compensator" that basically supports the swing axles from underneath and limits wheel tuck.

www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2819

Though unless you are going for aggressive driving it's really not needed for general driving.

Since you invested some loot on the z bar rig I'm sure you can sell it pretty easily in the classifieds, though to be honest it may not fetch the money you've put into it (I dunno what you out into it though).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any damage to the drip rails or is there any issues with shutting the doors? That dent might pop out easier than you think.

-jeffrey
ensys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Iancorado:

This is just $.02 from the cheap seats, but it would seem that if you’re reluctant to work the simple damage to the roof (a real testament to the strength of the VW body, eh?) yourself, spend the $400 to get a proper body shop to ease it out for you. It seems to be a pretty clean tub and the Devil you know is always better than the Devil you don’t know.

In any case, I humbly suggest you retain the Z-bar by any means required. The swing-axle is a quirky business and the Z-bar is the hands-down best way to control it’s behavior and greatly enhance the Bug’s drivability in every situation.

As for the actions of others, I would remind you that the world is full of people who will not appreciate the things they don’t understand, simply because it is easier than doing the work or gaining the knowledge. Always be wary of “the easy way out”.

With no intention of insult to those who do not understand it’s function, I will point out that the “camber compensator” works nothing like a Z-bar, will not prevent tuck-under, and is intended to be deployed along with several other suspension modifications for optimal effect, which at it’s best, is not nearly as good as that of a proper Z-bar.

Good luck with your project.

S.J.Szabo
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you look at the way the Z bar works, you can see that, as ensys above says, it's NOTHING like a camber compensator.

The ends of the Z bar have sliding links and each side twists the bar the opposite direction, so for it to do ANYTHING, the car has to squat at the rear several inches before the bar starts to twist.

It's really there because the weight of the bug was increasing (1675lb in 66, 1808lb in 68, and more for the cabrios), and the Z bar becomes a "helper" spring for the rear when there are heavy loads in the back or the back end dips hard over bumps etc. A cheaper option to redesigning the torsion bars themselves, when changes to THAT were already in the wings for the following year (IRS suspension).

For info, outside the USA, the swing axle and Z bar continued in manual models for 1969 and 1970. I have a 1970 (Euro spec) swing axle 1500 bug with the Z bars.

Iancorado,

Sorry to see that big dent in your roof, but I have to agree with other posters here, it looks quite repairable (unless there is damage we can't see in the pics.)
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iancorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drip rails seem intact. I will pull out the headliner today and certainly see what I can do. If I end swaping bodies I will probably retain the zbar setup, I guess I'll cut out the body mounting holes and studs and weld the to the new body.
gargamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider doing the recommendation made of just using a camber compensator and call it a day. IMO, It just seems more trouble than its worth.
Stuart Maingot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Autopress vw service manual by Kenneth Ball states the Z bar does not come into play with body roll and is effectively a third torsion bar to aid with additional weight. It is also noted that it was available as a add on kit from VW for earlier models if owners wished to do so. I have a 69 with the units intact and have experimented with additional rubber buffers installed to get the action of the z-bar coming into play sooner under load. Pack 3 adults into the back with caribbean undulating roads and you will appreciate this upgrade.
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's really there because the weight of the bug was increasing (1675lb in 66, 1808lb in 68, and more for the cabrios), and the Z bar becomes a "helper" spring for the rear when there are heavy loads in the back or the back end dips hard over bumps etc. A cheaper option to redesigning the torsion bars themselves, when changes to THAT were already in the wings for the following year (IRS suspension).

Which to me sort of implies that if you go with your 65 body, you reduce the weight again and negate the need for the additional engineering of the z-bar. If you swap the body for the 65 you're not really building a 69 anymore. You're building a hybrid (to use the nice term).

I also never meant to imply that a z-bar = camber compensator. They are different, but if you say they are not at all similar in function, you're just wrong. Yeah the whole z-bar set up is more sophisticated and better but the camber compensator in and of itself makes a notable improvement in the handling of a swing axle car. Also note that I suggest the real one from CB because it has straps that go over the axle tubes rather than simply supporting them from the underneath as some (I think EMPI) does. This adds additional resistance to them moving in either direction and generally helps keep the ass end more stable.

Quote:
I would remind you that the world is full of people who will not appreciate the things they don’t understand, simply because it is easier than doing the work or gaining the knowledge. Always be wary of “the easy way out”.

Agreed. There are also those who parrot what they read in forums, online, and books, without ever actually having experienced the results of doing anything like that in real life. There's a big ol' difference in reading a book on art, and painting a picture, if you get my drift. I've worked on and driven cars with the Z-bar and in those with camber compensators. In my humble opinion, it's close a freakin nuff that I stand by my recomendation if you swap bodies. You'd end up doing more work to support the Z-bar that you functionally gain by having it. That's all it really is though, an opinion based on experience.

All that said of course with:
Quote:
With no intention of insult to those who do not understand

And as always, do whatever the heck you want with it (all of you). It's yours after all. The important thing is to have fun!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ensys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. Between the misinformation, disinformation, and raw ego, its gotten pretty thick around here all of a sudden. It would be perfectly understandable if Mr.iancorado began to be sorry he asked.

May I suggest this: In a disagreement, whoever loses their temper and/or resorts to personal attack first, should not be trusted.

Here are the facts as I know them. I strongly suggest some independent study for substantiation.

Swing axles have some of the advantages of IRS, but also have additional quirks that can bite you in the butt if you don’t respect them.

Wheel tuck is the most serious. Porsche/VW learned that this issue could be mitigated by lowering the real roll axis and reducing the rear roll couple to zero (in theory). The actualization was to soften the rear bars (to reduce roll couple; nothing could be done with the roll axis, (tho Benz’s lowered axle pivot did)). This aided “handling” but reduced static load capacity. Hence the “camber compensator” that acts in one direction (to pull the wheels down, pushing the body up, thus increasing static load capacity) without affecting body roll (roll couple again) or participating in “handling”.

The EMPI (and subsequent imitators) version sought to emulate this, but without the benefit of the more sophisticated attachment hardware, so they attached the spring ends with straps around the axle. This provided load capacity but also participated in “handling”. Unfortunately, due to the fixed ends, the first thing the spring tries to do is pull the wheels into tuck before it starts to interact. After that, it provides some limiting effect, owing to the spring’s now-reversed load and the center pivot, and several secondary influences that don’t help at all. The problem is that its action not only adds to the roll couple, if the outside wheel tucks before the changing loads can lower the inside wheel significantly, the tuck will continue.

The Z-bar has none of these weaknesses. First, it carries no load, so it does not act as a “helper” spring. It does not act as a roll bar, so it does not add to the roll couple. It’s sole function is to transfer the load of the dropping inside wheel (as the body also leans) to the outside wheel as thrust upward, thus negating any possible tuck. It is the optimal minimalist solution.

You can demonstrate this action by bending a paper clip in a “Z” and play with it. Remember: the long center is afixed to and parallel with, the body (tub).

The closest thing to a Z-bar is a “virtual Z-bar” that uses a near-flat transverse spring on a low-resistance center pivot with ends attached to the trailing arm/axle via adjustable drop links. A 356 vendor has marketed his version successfully for many years, but one can fabricate their own using an EMPI type spring with a zero-resistance center pivot, and fabbed rigid end attachment links.

The smart money is on keeping the Z bar.

"Having fun" includes keeping the shiny side up while you're doing it.

S.J.Szabo

Last edited by ensys on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be inclined to push the dents out first and see how bad the thing really is. With the headliner out you can probably get to all of the damaged parts from both sides.

Or, Maybe the OP should consider grafting in a ragtop?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roof can be fixed!! Easier than switching bodies.
ensys wrote:

The Z-bar................ is the optimal minimalist solution.

I am not sure if it is better to have stronger springs or a Z-bar for superior handling.
Vw decided to add the Z-bar, probably to try to keep the ride soft.

It is arguable both ways, and IMo comes down to shocks, which is to say........... who knows. But....far as "minimalist solution".........that would have to be stronger springs!!
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
May I suggest this: In a disagreement, whoever loses their temper and/or resorts to personal attack first, should not be trusted.

I don't know if this was directed at me or not, but I neither lost my temper nor resorted to personal attacks. At least not as I see it. I'm defending my position but I have no real animosity to you. Though yeah, I'll admit I'm a little annoyed. You are probably a great guy, I'll buy you a beer or a soda if we ever meet. I just disagree with you and found your comments insulting.

Let's review. I post that "if it were me..." as in this is just my opinion based on real world experience, I'd go with a simple body swap and add a camber compensator (a viewpoint I still stand-by). This is also predicated on iancorado stating:

Quote:
I want to make this as simple and painless as possible any advice would be appreciated

Combined with a distinct lack of anything like "I want to get into slolom racing" or "I want this thing to handle like a Lotus".

Shortly after, your post includes some good advice but also:

Quote:
As for the actions of others, I would remind you that the world is full of people who will not appreciate the things they don’t understand, simply because it is easier than doing the work or gaining the knowledge. Always be wary of “the easy way out”.

and:
Quote:
With no intention of insult to those who do not understand it’s function

It seems rather personal and insulting to me to imply that I and/or perhaps gargamel (who also said you can live without a z-bar) was ignorant and/or lazy for daring to suggest that the body mods required to support a Z-bar vs. just going with the body swap and/or a more simply camber compensator weren't worth it. I've done the work having driven and built cars that use both. That's not lazy or ignorant as you strongly implied, that's an informed opinion based on experience and hard work within the real world.

Turn the mirror around on yourself here, could you have given your pertinent information on the benefits of a z-bar without making this passive aggressive and insulting comment implying that anyone who dares to disagree with YOUR opinion in posts prior are ignorant and lazy because they've done shit-for-all to educate themselves? Yeah, you sure as hell could have.

Re-read your post without the two lines I quoted and all the great information is still there, you'll have expressed your opinion without being nearly so insulting. In that case, i wouldn't have even bothered to defend my opinion or made another post.

So yeah, I turned that back around on you and reminded people that some others just read shit and have never driven a car under one or the other of the conditions they are talking about. I don't know if that's true about you anymore than you knew if I was some ignorant hillbilly with a hair-dryer "turbo" duct-taped to the top of my carburetor Smile

Then you say:
Quote:

Because holy hell if you don't have a Z-bar on your ride we all know you're going to flip the thing over!!! I hope we can all agree that the most important piece of technology in these cars is the squishy gray bit between your ears anyway. Lots of those old swing axle cars surprisingly actually managed to keep the rubber side down without the benefit of a Z-bar!

Lastly, I'm just defending my position here. Yeah, my nose is a little tweaked but I wouldn't say I'm angry or trying to hate on anybody. I've got other things to worry about Smile

This is my last post on this thread, I'm out. Feel free to talk about me after I leave the room if you want! Laughing
ensys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well alrighty then. A round of apologies for the house; I’m paying. It is the price of my poor communication skills.

Here in the Midwest, the cities are on a strict grid, and open roads are straight and flat ribbons scribed thru cornfields, and it all reminds me that one of the things I miss most about living on the Left Coast is the myriad daily opportunities to hone a driver’s skills in everyday situations that could be challenging at perfectly sane and legal speeds. From the hills and curves of the streets of San Francisco, to the narrow and winding hiways snaking thru the Santa Cruz mountains, there was always a chance to push one’s personal envelope without endangering bystanders or scaring the horses. I enjoyed living the mantra of “Frequently Sideways” that I learned at the wheel of a ’65 Corvair as a tender undergraduate here in the Midwest, at largely legal speeds in very ordinary conditions. Snowy winters were (and still are) a daily adventure.

Now, maybe its just me, but plying the streets and hiways of the Coast in several iterations of swing-axled cars had a way of focusing my attention and interest in what was going on back there, especially at those times when I found myself teetering on the brink of the dreaded “wheel tuck”, a condition that was all too possible, even at relatively sedate speeds, that threatened to spoil the fun.

So I hope all will understand my mistake in thinking that in addressing this body, I was reaching the kindred souls of other enthusiastic drivers who find a real value in exploring state-of-the-art thinking as a way of making the most of the experience of artfully wheeling a swing-axled machine in daily life. Apparently I mis-calculated. My bad.

In any case, it would seem that inadequate writing skills allowed my little dissertation to be mistaken for an expression of opinion, when in fact it was intended to explain the circumstances that lead the Factory engineers to progress from a naked swing-axle, thru a camber compensator, and arriving at the Z-bar, before deciding that IRS was the answer all along.

Now, I find it neither unreasonable nor naive to believe that the highly trained (what is termed “book larnin’” around some climes) and very experienced Factory engineers didn’t drop the Z-bar in out of guess-work or whimsy, or because they ran out of camber compensators which did the same job just as well.

Nor do I believe that these same engineers passed on the simpler, cheaper approach of stiffer bars or different shocks just because the Factory wanted to spend more money. And incidentally, only the camber compensator used softer bars; that was the whole point.

So what have we learned here?

Well, I’ve learned that when it comes to knowledge, sometimes you can’t give it away, especially to someone who believes the seat of his pants is smarter than Factory engineers. That insult, like water, seeks its own level. That the old chestnut of “My mind is made up; don’t confuse me with the facts” is still valid. And that I have still not learned to successfully tiptoe around prickly egos.

Again, my apologies for my clumsiness.

S.J.Szabo
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ensys wrote:
Well. Between the misinformation, disinformation, and raw ego, its gotten pretty thick around here all of a sudden.

Very true
Quote:

The Z-bar has none of these weaknesses. First, it carries no load, so it does not act as a “helper” spring. It does not act as a roll bar, so it does not add to the roll couple. It’s sole function is to transfer the load of the dropping inside wheel (as the body also leans) to the outside wheel as thrust upward, thus negating any possible tuck. It is the optimal minimalist solution.

"does not act as a helper spring" is quoting my post above.

Brit Haynes manual says "rear equalized spring ...the effect is to progressively assist the torsion bar under load and but not to have any effect on body roll characteristics."

US Bentley Manual says "rear equalizer spring....It's purpose is to assist the rear torsion bars with a progressive spring action when under load. Because the operating levers slant in opposite directions, the equaliser spring has no effect on body roll, thereby allowing the front axle assembly to absorb more of the vehicle's roll couple, resulting in more neutral cornering characteristics."

Aussie Gregories Manual says "The compensator spring is essentially an overload spring which prevents excessive wheel camber variation under load."

So the function of the Z bar (equaliser spring) is exactly as I said, it IS a helper spring when the car is heavily loaded or going over heavy bumps, and it has nothing to do with preventing wheel tuck in cornering (when one wheel moves up, and one wheel moves down).

If you follow your paper clip example, you'll see that if you lift raise say the right side arm (cornering left causing the body to squat on the right), then the arm on the left side of the spring actually moves DOWN, not up - the same direction as the wheel on that side, so it is impossible for the bar to do anything about body roll until both arms have reached the stops at opposite ends of their arms, by which time to car will be just about lifting the inner back wheel off the ground.

So please Ensys, before you put down something I've said, make sure the experts agree with you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ensys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Aussiebug:

Well, yes and no.

You have to admit that there is something of a terminology issue in your sources.

The Haynes example seems to be referring to a camber compensator, and the Gregories manual is specifically doing so, so neither is applicable to your point.

The Bentley manual seems to refer to a Z-bar (tho "slant in opposite directions" is a bit cryptic), but not clearly so.

And it is true that if one dumps a bunch of load into the car, the bar will be stressed, tho because the Z-bar cross section is usually a fraction of that of the torsion bars, its effect in this situation is negligible.

It is important to remember that a Z-bar is customarily set up neutral (no load on the Z-bar, with the torsion bars carrying all the load of the vehicle and passengers) with the car at its normal load height, so that it is only stressed when cornering, transferring the load of the dropping inside wheel to raise the outside wheel without effecting the rear roll couple.

However, in racing applications, it can be the case that some slight pre-load to taste will be applied to settle transitions in loading, but this is not usually the case on the street.

It is also the case that in racing application, the bar between the arms can get very thick to better emulate a solid axle in transitions, but one is then forced to stiffen the front roll bar to remarkable dimensions to counter the heavy oversteer that results.

Now, it is also true that if one wheel is subjected to jounce while the other is not, some additional force will be contributed to rebound, but once again, that effect will be minimal compared to that wheel's torsion bar resistance.

Thus, it is not acting in any way as a helper spring and has everything to do with preventing tuck.

S.J.Szabo
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ensys wrote:
Mr.Aussiebug:
Well, yes and no.

You have to admit that there is something of a terminology issue in your sources.

Not if you READ the manuals. I quoted just the directly relevant part of each quote to save a little typing, so, just for you...

Quote:
The Haynes example seems to be referring to a camber compensator,

Haynes - "Rear Equalizer Spring - some later models are fitted with an additional suspension feature consisting of a lateral torsion bar (parallel to the normal one) which goes under the luggage space behind the rear seat. It is attached to a rubber bushed bracket to the body panel behind the rear wheel. It is connected to the axle tubes by levers and operating rods angled in opposite directions at each side. The effect is to progressively assist the main torsion bar under load but not to have any effect on body roll characteristics". That's a darn good description of the Z bar.

Quote:
and the Gregories manual is specifically doing so, so neither is applicable to your point.

The Gregories manual shows a complete drawing of the Z bar attached to the description, so it's exactly relevant to my point.

Quote:
The Bentley manual seems to refer to a Z-bar (tho "slant in opposite directions" is a bit cryptic), but not clearly so.

Bentley - "the equalizer spring is a torsion bar mounted transversely under the luggage compartment floor behind the back seat." The description then follows as I posted above, and then a complete drawing of the Z bar is included.

So there is no misunderstanding - all I said in my above posts is supported EXACTLY by three different reputable sources.

"Z bar" is just an American expression by the way - not a VW approved term at all. Both Haynes and Bentley call it an equalizer spring and Gregories call it a compensating/overload spring.

Quote:
And it is true that if one dumps a bunch of load into the car, the bar will be stressed, tho because the Z-bar cross section is usually a fraction of that of the torsion bars, its effect in this situation is negligible.

Well, I guess VW just wasted their time and money with over million bugs then - since they were used on 68 manuals only in the USA, but on every other 1500 69 and 70 manual bug sold in the rest of the world - and there is a LOT of world outside the USA :-)

The three manuals all state that it's there to ASSIST the main torsion bars, so of course it's going to be thinner - it's not there to take over, just provide "progressive extra springing" when the rear wheels are loaded down.

That way the main torsion bar can be a little softer for a smooth ride but the car can cope with it's increased body weight and the extra weight of heavy passengers (or heavy bumps) without the need for excessive twisting of the main torsion bars which would result in a large change in camber at the rear wheels (that's quoting from the manuals again). Most of the time it sits there and does nothing, because the wheels have to move through the sliding links a short distance before the Z bar is activated - it's only large wheel movements (both rear wheels together) which will start twisting the Z bar - after both wheels reach the bump-stops at the ends of the sliding links.

Quote:
It is important to remember that a Z-bar is customarily set up neutral (no load on the Z-bar, with the torsion bars carrying all the load of the vehicle and passengers) with the car at its normal load height,

That much is completely correct.

Quote:
so that it is only stressed when cornering, transferring the load of the dropping inside wheel to raise the outside wheel without effecting the rear roll couple.

And that it completely incorrect.

That could only work if the arms at each end of the Z bar moved in the same direction when one was pushed, but they don't - those arms move in OPPOSITE directions, so only when BOTH wheels move in the same direction (eg when the car is loaded and the body moves down on both wheels together - will the torsion bar twist and start working.

Quote:
However, in racing applications, it can be the case that some slight pre-load to taste will be applied to settle transitions in loading, but this is not usually the case on the street.

You cant "pre load" the equalizer spring/Z bar unless you pack the sliding links so they work the instant a wheel moves up or down, and THEN, if you do that, the wheel under load (moving up when cornering) will turn the OTHER operating arm DOWN and push the inside wheel down - increasing body roll.

Quote:
Now, it is also true that if one wheel is subjected to jounce while the other is not, some additional force will be contributed to rebound, but once again, that effect will be minimal compared to that wheel's torsion bar resistance.

Thus, it is not acting in any way as a helper spring and has everything to do with preventing tuck.

I'm sorry but you just have the operation of the Z bar/equalizer spring all wrong in your head.

I'm not trying to be critical of you in person, but others here read our posts and may rely on the information they read, so you need to be very certain that what you post is in fact technically correct, and in this case, you have it completely wrong.

I've been posting to this forum since 2003, and have had to revise my thinking when pulled up by folks more experienced than me. Painful, but still enlightening.

PLEASE read
Bentley Service Manual 1300-1500 (1966-1968) page 155,
Haynes 1303, 1303S and GT Manual page 118 or
Gregories Manual No46 "all models 1954 to 1971" page 178/179
(I'll happily send you copies of the pages), and then you'll get it - I hope.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussiebug on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Z-bar was always used with softer torsion bars, they were meant to work together, which they do pretty well.

myself I prefer IRS Laughing

by the way the Z-bar was used all the way to 2003 in non-IRS Beetles
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: