Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question on proper tire sizes needed
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gargamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Question on proper tire sizes needed Reply with quote

Hey guys. I am getting close to finishing lifting my 70 bug for a class 11 style and I am reading up on tires., My next project. I did ready the sticky on tires and other topics and I feel more confused then I started.

At this time, I got 4jx15, which I believe come out to 15x4 wheels. According to the sticky, "to not go more than 3" over your rim width.." That would mean tires no wider than 7''? Yet the tires people seem to mention are way beyond what is suggested to be safe, IIRC.

My question is what is the biggest yet safest tires to use on my 4jx15 wheels? Any recommendations on what to use up front and in the rear, would be appreciated.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot's of offroaders use tires wider than 3" more than rim width just fine. That would in theory limit you to 7.00-15s . What works on the highway at high speed at the max weight rating for a given tire is not likely to apply to a car that weighs less than the load rating per tire and is intended for mostly offroad use.

For a Class 11 style Bug like you're talking about, bigger tires than that aren't gonna fit under the fenders anyway, so that would render that point a meaningless discussion.

"4Jx15" as stamped on the wheels translates to:
- "4" = 4" rim width measured from the inside of the bead area where the tire touches the wheel rim to the same on the other side of the rim.
- "J" refers to a "Safety Bead" on the rim. It is a raised "bead" around the rim just inboard of the tire contact area intended to help keep the tire seated against the rim at lower pressures. The single "J" indicates the safety bead is only found on one side of the rim. The other side does not have a bead. If it were stamped "JJ", it would have a bead on both sides of the rim, and would be more difficult to remove a tire from.
- "15" indicates a rim diameter of 15" measured at the tire contact area of the rim.

For a Class 11 style Bug, I suggest 205-75 to 235-75-15 All Terrain tires. Like a BFG KO, or a Uniroyal Liberator, or a wide variety of others of that general sort.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gargamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I failed to add that I would like to drive my bug on paved road but yet still have it off-road friendly. The practical application, to define off-road, would be to travel on ranch land, dirt roads and S. Texas brush country. No bouncing or climbing. I woill look into thos suggested tires. Thanks
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only picture I have, but I dig the look of 215/75-15 up front and 235/75-15 rears. Those are common sizes for aggressive tread tires.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running 235/75s on back with stock rims for awhile now. I'm about to put a pair of that size up front (I will Friday or sat) but have test fit them up front. I'll have to hammer the heater channel ridge down that's inside the fender to help with sharp turns. They're gonna rub on sharp
turns but fit in the fender.

I do have thing spindles, they give me 2.5" more height so I dunno what it'd be like height wise without em. You could install torsion adjusters to help.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my EMPI POS lift spindles broke, I cannot use my 235s up front but am still using my 215s. So there is that.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gargamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my silly technicall question: when using larger tires on a bug, do you still air them according to the car's manual or to tire recommendation? I see it odd to have those 235 aired that low but if that is the way, so be it.
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gargamel wrote:
Here is my silly technicall question: when using larger tires on a bug, do you still air them according to the car's manual or to tire recommendation? I see it odd to have those 235 aired that low but if that is the way, so be it.

Your answer lies within this:

dustymojave wrote:
What works on the highway at high speed at the max weight rating for a given tire is not likely to apply to a car that weighs less than the load rating per tire and is intended for mostly offroad use.

Adjust your pressure accordingly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: