Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Billet heads
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have coarse model with 910 ports, i could draw more finished version and ask cnc machining price. What is the angle of intake flange?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made today Ad to Classifieds. Price is now 2000€ / pair.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1688427
Anvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Alex77- wrote:
I made today Ad to Classifieds. Price is now 2000€ / pair.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1688427

I haven't seen where these actually exist in the flesh; maybe I missed it?

Since you put up an ad and are ready to start taking folk's money, let me offer some free, unsolicited, advice from one machine shop/small business guy to another: if you don't have these on the shelf & ready to ship, make sure you give folks a real world time frame for when they can expect them and then deliver on that promise. In other words, under promise, over deliver.

Otherwise this will turn into yet another Samba feedback goat screw.
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they dont exist, because i dont have 4000€ to have made two first sets for sale.

First the idea to do some co-operation with the one machineshop, but that thing has been delaying over year, and will continue to do that.

This is now new attempt, i can get heads in 4-6 weeks for at the moment.

Please understand, these billet heads are almost always custom made, and i
cant guess what versions people want, there is so many variations.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would square or rectangle (1/8"~3/16" raidi on the exhaust&about a 1/4~5/16" raidi on the intake ports)the in&ex ports on those 910 style and angle the exhaust the same as the valve angle.and make the intakes on the small side with extra material for enlarging so they can be taylored to the cc/rpm potential. keep the charge directed not tumbling like a round or oval port can do.
Doing like your doing you are limitless and can roll the valve angles,kant the valves and even rotate the chambers(all 3 would be my choice)and also diferent chamber shapes can be utilised.
a 3D printer would be nice to use and then flow carerictoristics can be seen and changes made quickley then retested....and farther improvements made.
I wish i was still able to do all this.but as for now Ill have to stay with castings and chamge them to what I sort of want.being stuck using castings limits what you can do and change. You can change it all at your finger tips befor any casting or machining starts. Keep it up and good luck, you will have something to be proud for in short time..
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know about short time Smile But good 3D printer would be nice. But at the moment i have no extra money for extensive development. Original company is waiting until 2015 spring, because lack of money.

To develope 910 style ports, i would need some dimensions for the intake flange, as i have newer hold in my hand 910 head.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

might want to have a set 3 d printed,also there are many kits that you can build your own 3d printer. the 910&super intake flange is the same on my heads. I also noticed the head stud spacing isant what any of mine are,just wondering what this fits? also a "cast billet" may be the best and possiably cheeper than a "billet" head. on another note I wouldent nessasarraly try to fit everything under the vw valve cover pattern.but if it's just a superflow/comp elim "clone"it will work...but why. you realy need to do some good research on flow&cylinder heads for racing,like nascar or drag where a oe casting isant required and not over head cam. check out CFE heads. there is a reason for valve placements&angles on the high hp heads,and the nascar stuff too.the size of the engine has little to nothing to do with it other than a big bore can use a biger valve. rotating the chamber&valve angles works,makes more usable power,valve &port sizes are dictated by the engine sizes&usage. you already have the rockers with five bolts,supported at each end so...seperating them&moving one up a little and the other one down or angled realy isant very farfeched. remember shortside raidi is importaint and making the shorts side closer to the cylinder wall..well it make for better flow and gets the side of the valve away from the cylinder.but a cross flow head on this engine is possiable but probably not going to happen, so..a compramize with a few degrees of chamber rotation,some angles&canting&moving up&down can make for a better breathing head with small ports so the power is there when you stab it. you have a clean sheet of paper to work with.why copy another head?? how many versions of the deno superflow head are already out there???yes they have been updated but not all that much.SO updating an updated head...?already made by howmany companys??so if your going to make your mark on the vw world I urge you to make a better new exotic mark on the world. if you have ever seen a head off a dodge engine that runs in the nascar daytona 500 race you might be kinda surprized. the intake port isant very big,not much biger than what we have now,but it's flow capabilty is realy something.
I have a set of superflows..I dont know if I will ever run them. my new sets of 910's are getting the valves relocated,angled&canted and will be used for street/highway driving. keep up the good work and do the work so they have to keep up with you. your only constraints should be the headbolt/stud pattern.there are many rockers out there that can be used ,many valves that can be used,I would go longer than type 4 so a better longer spring can be utilized,and thus more ratio. remember it's not over till the fat chick is gone.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got anything new done??
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still waiting answer what i might get at next month. Which is when and if the production / prototypes are made.
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your engine. When do you anticipate having it together?

My 101.6x88 will be similar to yours, w/ ms230 heads. TF-1, etc. just not the nickies.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably 1,5-2,5 years, still have get the car painted and other parts bought. Yeah, germanlook style is expensive... Smile
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Billet heads at near future: what is stock headstudspacing? Reply with quote

I am on the verge of getting made two sets of heads, both 101.6 bore.

Still thinking about material. Possibly 6061 T651 or 6082 T651 which is easier to get in Europe. Seems that most US billet head manufacturers use 6061 T6, but these are V8 heads..

I have been searching temperature versus tensile strength charts, so far found 6063, 6061, A356 and 6082 charts.

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Billet heads at near future: what is stock headstudspacing? Reply with quote

It would be nice to see you utilize the rockers from the EVO heads, they have 2 pushrods with 4 valves. ..that would give the vw heads some serious flow numbers.

The intake valves would be facing each other on the head while the exhaust would be on the outside of the head...I believe that this could be made to work using existing Costhworth style intake.
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet heads at near future: what is stock headstudspacing? Reply with quote

4-valves just doesnt fit to this reality Laughing

It is just too time consuming to design 4-valve design, and you cannot be sure the outcome, how well the valvetrain lasts, how it cools, what custom parts you need (i bet many) etc

With current design, which allows possibly over 250cfm/16mm flow at 25" pressure, you can use many standard or not too hard to find parts up 52mm intake valve.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet heads at near future: what is stock headstudspacing? Reply with quote

Air-cooled 16V is the holy grail...
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet heads at near future: what is stock headstudspacing? Reply with quote

But 4-valve heads really require OHC or DOHC to get best results. With pushrods 4-valveheads just have too heavy and complicated valvetrain.

Again, just asking the material choices, design is currently "fixed" with few options Very Happy

In a few months, a lot hours took to redesign the ports and chamber with professional headporter. Some other changes too, valveangle from 10 degrees to 9 degrees, and valvecover flange wider at bottom which accepts pauter rockers with bigger valvespacing up 54x40 valves, and still using stock style bails with custom valvecovers.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet heads at near future: what is stock headstudspacing? Reply with quote

I think if you really look at how a v-twin is set up you can damn near set them side by side on a VW. ...the only thing stopping me is the harley intake ports are at a 45 degree angle. ..they are a 2 piece head with a very strong rocker setup. ..I thought it was easier to operate smaller valves that would require less spring pressure to do the same job 2 valves are doing for maybe a 30% increase in air flow? ...I know I'm just dreaming here but it can be done and has been done...this guy at a bug shop showed me the video. ..I'll see if I can find it. ..all I can remember is that it was all custom built.
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet heads at near future: what is stock headstudspacing? Reply with quote

I saw on the samba someone had made two sets of his own heads. I think he said he used 6061 for one set and possibly 2024 for the second set. He said one cracked and the other corroded. I'll try to remember what thread I read it in. 6063 shouldn't be considered at all in my opinion. It's too soft, and its awful to machine.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Billet heads at near future: what is stock headstudspacing? Reply with quote

look up 2219, 2218
These are aluminum alloys for high temperature
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Billet heads at near future: what is stock headstudspacing? Reply with quote

Also 2618 is used on 911 billet heads, same material is used on pistons.

It was on this thread, 6000 series melted and 7000 corroded or something.

A356 is not either better than 6061 T6 or 6082 T6 at high temperatures, even it is used on many heads etc.

Last edited by -Alex77- on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: