Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stub axle
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
holyravioli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: stub axle Reply with quote

I need to replace the left rear stub axle on my 70 bus because it stripped, do I just remove the axle and hammer the stub axle out? thanks for any help.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, remove the nut, pull the drum off, the cv/axle and the stub will come out with a little hammer work. Don't forget to grease the bearings while you have the stub out. Use a peice of wood to protect the flange from hammer blows when you put the replacement stub axle in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie thread, I know....

Sounds easy enough to remove the stub. How about to re-install it? Does it slip right back in, does everything in the bearing hub have to be taken apart, or.... what would the process be?
I may be replacing the current stub (early) with a late/shorter stub
Thanks in advance
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shorter stub axle will not work on a 1970.
IRS Rear Wheel Bearing Repack/Replace
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
The shorter stub axle will not work on a 1970.
IRS Rear Wheel Bearing Repack/Replace

For which reason(s) (other than the obvious too short for the drum/castle nut)?
I'm also replacing drums for discs by way of late wheel hub.

That looks like a great article. I just skimmed through it but will give it a good read tonight. Thanks.
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article. Very thorough.
The article is under the assumption that I'm replacing bearings, so obviously it shows a complete teardown.
My question is: can I re-install the stub without disassembling everything in the bearing housing (bearings, seals, etc)? ...Anyone?
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. But! It's only a short put to get fresh grease into the bearings and pop in new seals. This can also be done without removing the bearings if need be. you'll be miles ahead if you do!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: stub axle Reply with quote

What late wheel hub lets you use discs with a stock stub axle? Yes the early/late axles are about an inch different in size. Yes you can gently tap the old stub axle out and gently tap the new one in. But why would you stop there? AT LEAST take a needle style grease gun and shoot some grease into the bearings. Cup a handful of extra CV grease into the new stub axle end or into the CV joint itself to replace the lost grease from the old stub axle. I personally repack my bearings every 30k miles, and other than that I never remove my drums or stub axles. If I had to take the axle out, it's only an hours extra work to get 30k miles of maintnence out of the way instead of redoing all the work later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogo wrote:
Good article. Very thorough.
The article is under the assumption that I'm replacing bearings, so obviously it shows a complete teardown.
My question is: can I re-install the stub without disassembling everything in the bearing housing (bearings, seals, etc)? ...Anyone?

If I had the axle out I would not dream of not replacing the seals. As others have said adding a bit of extra grease isn't a bad idea either.
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. All great input.
I'm not opposed to replacing the seals and repacking the bearings. I asked the question to see what was the simplest way to install the stub only, because I'm ignorant about mechanics, but I'm handy. However, I'm afraid of screwing something up beyond repair or being stranded not knowing how things go back together.
The seals and repacking does look simple enough though, and that article is very helpful. Will probably give it a shot.

asiab3 wrote:
What late wheel hub lets you use discs with a stock stub axle?

Old Speed makes an early bay disc/porsche pattern kit that uses stock late bay stub (hence me needing to replace it) and stock late bay wheel hub. Hub is redrilled/studded to 5x130, and slightly trimmed for the Porsche disc to slip over
I would imagine that if you wanted to run it on a late bay you could just redrill the disc instead?
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my rear housings apart, cleaned and repacked. When I removed the old/stock stub axles, as expected, they came out with some resistance. A bunch of solid taps and off they came. When I reinstalled them with the late stub axles, the driver side went in, again, with expected resistance... a million little taps and in she went. BUT the driver side almost slid right in, I just held on to the housing, put some pressure on it with my thumbs and she went all the way in... that's not right, right? Is there a -big- chance the inner races will spin on the stub axle, or would they hold once the axle nut is torqued down?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inner races are clamped together and to the stub axle by the enormous force from the axle nut, making a solid stack. They will not
slip on the axle. The article by Amskeptic in the link given above illustrates that nicely with colorized drawings.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that's the case. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: