Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So my 64 'N' Notch got rear ended. What to do?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoss wrote:
Erik G wrote:
all this talk about being undervalued - really? Not numbers matching, the body and pan dont match, the paint looks amateur... I havent seen interior pics but I would assume it's not correct either

You know Erik.. you make a good point.

Is the car really undervalued at $10k? I think after reading up on it and finding the few photos I could, I think $10k is about top dollar on that car.

Early N body that is more rare than an S.. but not any more valuable, but on a later IRS auto pan.. with some rims.

What's the argument for it being worth more? Did it have an amazing original N interior with perfect dash? Custom 2110cc motor?

Correct. Based on this - it's very likely OVERvalued.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My N body on later pan with 2110 can't even bring the 6k asking price. now is this a 10k car?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
My N body on later pan with 2110 can't even bring the 6k asking price.

It's not sea blue Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
vwfye wrote:
My N body on later pan with 2110 can't even bring the 6k asking price.

It's not sea blue Rolling Eyes

Ah, crap! You're right!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

I agree 100%, as I've tried to stay out of this one (just been lurking).

It's a parts car now, as it'll be too expensive for the insurance company to repair it. Shocked Why do you think the insurance company is jerking you around? They're trying to get out of paying way too much for an old car that isn't worth much (in their eyes). Shocked Afterall, it's just an old Volkswagen. Rolling Eyes Add in that right now it's not even a numbers matching vehicle, since you have an automatic pan under it, so it's not original, and thus worth even less. Shocked Insurance companies look for loop holes to get out of paying out. Rolling Eyes

I posted this back on July 21st (page 5 of this blog). So it's definitely "over valued". Add in that you can buy many cars here on the Samba (in the classifieds) that are also not "numbers matching" for a lot less than 10K. Then you look at the car that are "numbers matching", and even a good portion of them are LESS than 10K. Insursurance companies don't give a damn about the color, they're job is to settle for as cheap as they can. They look for loop holes (things that you as an owner have done) to drop your coverage, even IF you did them with an eye toward safety. It's their job to. Even IF you still have the numbers matching pan, if it's not under the body at the time of the accident, the value drops (it's NO longer "numbers matching"). Does YOUR insurance company know it's not on it's correct pan? And IF so, would they have increased your coverage of it? or were you not telling them that you had swapped in an IRS and AT pan under the 65 "N" body shell? If so, then that's fraud, and they could cancel your coverage, and leave you hanging in the breeze.
Just a little something to think about.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

It's a parts car now, as it'll be too expensive for the insurance company to repair it. Shocked Why do you think the insurance company is jerking you around? They're trying to get out of paying way too much for an old car that isn't worth much (in their eyes). Shocked Afterall, it's just an old Volkswagen. Rolling Eyes Add in that right now it's not even a numbers matching vehicle, since you have an automatic pan under it, so it's not original, and thus worth even less. Shocked Insurance companies look for loop holes to get out of paying out. Rolling Eyes

I posted this back on July 21st (page 5 of this blog). So it's definitely "over valued". Add in that you can buy many cars here on the Samba (in the classifieds) that are also not "numbers matching" for a lot less than 10K. Then you look at the car that are "numbers matching", and even a good portion of them are LESS than 10K. Insursurance companies don't give a damn about the color, they're job is to settle for as cheap as they can. They look for loop holes (things that you as an owner have done) to drop your coverage, even IF you did them with an eye toward safety. It's their job to. Even IF you still have the numbers matching pan, if it's not under the body at the time of the accident, the value drops (it's NO longer "numbers matching"). Does YOUR insurance company know it's not on it's correct pan? And IF so, would they have increased your coverage of it? or were you not telling them that you had swapped in an IRS and AT pan under the 65 "N" body shell? If so, then that's fraud, and they could cancel your coverage, and leave you hanging in the breeze.

but, Bob..... it's sea blue!

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

but, Bob..... it's sea blue!

Yeah yeah, I know, it's a Sea blue "N" model Notch. Everything else said or done doesn't matter. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
chizucc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

I'd been reading this thread off and on and did not know that....

Lady, take the money and run
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoss wrote:
Erik G wrote:
all this talk about being undervalued - really? Not numbers matching, the body and pan dont match, the paint looks amateur... I havent seen interior pics but I would assume it's not correct either

Is the car really undervalued at $10k? I think after reading up on it and finding the few photos I could, I think $10k is about top dollar on that car.

Early N body that is more rare than an S.. but not any more valuable, but on a later IRS auto pan.. with some rims.

What's the argument for it being worth more? Did it have an amazing original N interior with perfect dash? Custom 2110cc motor?

Actually it is a 4 speed pan with an automatic transmission. At the time of the build of the car no type 3 pan halves were available and this pan is original and rust free. Its not like i cant put it back on its rusty old pan any time i wanted. Maybe some day after i win the lotto i will... actually just looked at it yesterday and realized the original pan had 4 lug wheels on it too. But thats fine as i still have the wide 5 drums and wheels too. What exactly is the difference in the pans? The rear subframe that bolts on?

It does have the original interior. The dash of course is cracked, but thats not that hard to get fixed. The headliner is amazingly perfect. Seats show their age, but are good for 50.

I still cannot replace a straight rust free N model (or any really) for 10k. They simply dont exist in this part of the country, and shipping is expensive. Not to mention that i know whats under the paint of this car, i wouldnt know whats under the paint of another. Ive seen way too much bondo.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you can. buy a straight rust free body with a crappy pan, add pan and you are under 10k. sorry, unless it is completely original at the time of the accident, it isn't original.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
yes you can. buy a straight rust free body with a crappy pan, add pan and you are under 10k. sorry, unless it is completely original at the time of the accident, it isn't original.
X2. The insurance company don't give a rat's ass (and rightly so) if you have original parts, if you intend on restoring it, if you can make it original in less than a day, etc. It's all about what it is like right now. It is a totally unoriginal car. It's not worth 10K. It's about a 5K car at the most. Welcome to life.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1964/Volkswagen/Type-3/2-Door-Notchback/Values
NADA average retail for a '64 Notchback is $9050. Good luck getting that. That fact that it's an "N" doesn't concern them at all. The fact that is is no where near original does.

FU#3
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way it is a 10k car is if you have a 'stated value' policy that both you and the insurance company have agreed to.

I've owned 5 notchbacks. 2 have had stated value policies that reached the 10k level. And, to get there, I had to have them appraised (at my expense), dozens of photos of their condition when insured and proof that they were not stored outside of a garage.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:
hoss wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Actually it is a 4 speed pan with an automatic transmission. At the time of the build of the car no type 3 pan halves were available and this pan is original and rust free. Its not like i cant put it back on its rusty old pan any time i wanted. Maybe some day after i win the lotto i will... actually just looked at it yesterday and realized the original pan had 4 lug wheels on it too. But thats fine as i still have the wide 5 drums and wheels too. What exactly is the difference in the pans? The rear subframe that bolts on?

It does have the original interior. The dash of course is cracked, but thats not that hard to get fixed. The headliner is amazingly perfect. Seats show their age, but are good for 50.

I still cannot replace a straight rust free N model (or any really) for 10k. They simply dont exist in this part of the country, and shipping is expensive. Not to mention that i know whats under the paint of this car, i wouldnt know whats under the paint of another. Ive seen way too much bondo.

by this logic, this car is worth 15K because all it needs is paint and interior http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1661074

Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:

What exactly is the difference in the pans?

The VIN number stamped into it. Rolling Eyes
That's what seperates matching numbers from non-matching number cars.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread hasn't been locked yet?

Laughing

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have a mishmash of random parts, mis-matched pan/body/engine, crappy paint job, ratty interior, but supposedly a really nice headliner and somehow all that is supposed to be worth north of $10k?
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom wrote:
So you have a mishmash of random parts, mis-matched pan/body/engine, crappy paint job, ratty interior, but supposedly a really nice headliner and somehow all that is supposed to be worth north of $10k?

and it's sea blue, dammit....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:

Laughing

I thought the exact same thing when I saw this topic back at the top of the list Confused
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:
squaretobehip wrote:

Laughing

I thought the exact same thing when I saw this topic back at the top of the list Confused

especially since the car has not been repaired, the owner refuses to post what AKK gave her as the estimate, etc....?

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so ..... surely, in the last two and a half weeks, there's been some progress?

an estimate perhaps?

or an offer by an insurance company?

we're waiting to see how very wrong we've been.....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: