Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for... but can't find... INFO '68 disc brake
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Looking for... but can't find... INFO '68 disc brake Reply with quote

So, I really want to convert my front brakes (1968 Bay) to Disc. There are a ton of conversion kits for nearly all makes and years, but I can't seem to find any for the 1968 Bay Type 2.

My Bug Mechanic said that the 71 Bay was the first to come with front Disc. He indicated that the front was nearly a direct replacement for my front. Has anyone done this mod, or does anyone have additional advice.

I have to say, my brakes SUCK ARSE! I am hoping the mechanic can tighten them up a bit, but otherwise, I would like to look at doing a front conversion.

Thanks!

Last edited by kevlarian on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
I've never converted an early bay to disk brakes but have installed a power brake booster on a 1968. The brakes work way better. You cannot just swap the whole front beam from a 1971 to a 1968. They won't bolt together. You could swap out some of the other parts though but then you'd be left with wide five wheels in the back and the smaller five wheels in the front. I suggest you consider doing the booster mod instead. Not too hard and your bus will maintain its original look.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511636&highlight=brakes
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please edit your post title so that people have some clue about what it is you are looking for. You may find more help that way.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wagenwest has some kits for early bays. there is a write up on it in the split window forum.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Egorspyle65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the wagenswest kit on the front of my 68 bay. Was on there when I bought it and has dropped spindle also. Good setup though and. Uses wilwood brake parts. It's the baby stang kit so you can run 14s if you want to.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You cannot just swap the whole front beam from a 1971 to a 1968. They won't bolt together.

Is this right? I moved put a 71 axle beam onto a 69 back in the 80s when the 69 rotted out. Is the 68 different?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 68 different?

Yes it is
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwcanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice 68 you have kevlarian.

In another post you mentioned that the PO had rebuilt the brakes a couple of years ago ... and now they "suck arse" as you say. Are you sure that all of the other components, master cylinder, lines, brake cylinders, pads and star adjusters, are in top working condition and adjusted properly? It would be a shame to spend the time and money converting to discs up front and find that your master cylinder is pooched or that your star adjusters weren't adjusted properly.

The reason why I mention this is that I rebuilt my 68's brakes last year and they work awesome! I tried some emergency stops and I was impressed with how well the drum brakes on all four corners stopped the bus. I hope you go through the brake system on your bus and start with the easy stuff.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the 4 non powered drum brakes aren't as great as a power disc brake set up, but I wouldn't says they "suck arse." Like posted above how's the condition of your brake system? I DD a 68' in the mountains of SW colorado with a big engine and and I don't have a problem with my brakes. I keep them well tuned and usually adjust them every 1500 miles or so. Maybe you need to adjust yours and put our foot into it when stopping.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for... but can't find... INFO '68 disc brake Reply with quote

kevlarian wrote:
There are a ton of conversion kits for nearly all makes and years, but I can't seem to find any for the 1968 Bay Type 2.

Confused Rolling Eyes
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/brakes/bus_brake/disc_brake_CSP.cfm

richparker wrote:
I agree that the 4 non powered drum brakes aren't as great as a power disc brake set up, but I wouldn't says they "suck arse." Like posted above how's the condition of your brake system? I DD a 68' in the mountains of SW colorado with a big engine and and I don't have a problem with my brakes. I keep them well tuned and usually adjust them every 1500 miles or so. Maybe you need to adjust yours and put our foot into it when stopping.

I agree with this ^^^^^^^

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: