Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What engine do I have?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ma72bike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: What engine do I have? Reply with quote

My engine code is EC011811. Is it a 914 motor or a bus motor? it came in a 1970 914. Please help! Thanks!
ma72bike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my research it looks like it can be either a 74 914 or 74 bus motor. I cant tell which though.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have the dipstick next to the oil filler tower? Then it's a 914 motor...
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can also be a 411 or early 412 motor. Some of the california emmisions cars came with an EC. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bandjoey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

914 world. Top of page. 914 info. Lists all case numbers by year model code.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandjoey wrote:
914 world. Top of page. 914 info. Lists all case numbers by year model code.

Yes....but just keep in mind that the same engines were used in several different cars....not just 914.

The case series he has.....was used in the 1974 VW 412....and the 914. They are both 1.8l, same compression, same heads, same cam, same injection.....identical in output and down to that last part # ....except for sheet metal and heat exchanger differences.

However....being that the EC in the 412 can, come in wagon or sedan versions....it can have the dipstick up top, like the 914 uses.....or down below like the 412 wagon uses.

The only thing that will really tell where it came from is the actual case # and where its located. On the 1.8 in the 914....the case # is stamped diagonally on the 3/4 side of the case in front of the torque converter access hole which is cast in but unused on the 914.

On a 412 1.8l its stamped at the base of the oil baffle chimney just like the 2.0l 914.

All I am getting at is dont depend on 914 only parts # lists to find out exactly where your engine case came from if its an issue. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: