Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

E85 "broke" my electric fuel pump?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need any fancy stuff. Gates makes fuel hose is suitable for gas, methanol, ethanol, and all diesel. Lasts ten years. 2x price of cheap stuff but nowhere near the cost of fancy aeroquip ect.
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotrodvw wrote:
No, I'm certain there are some rubber seals in the pump that have dissolved. The ethanol just dissolves rubber like crazy.

Hotrodvw wrote:
I never said it will dissolve anything immediately.

Just goes to show that no matter how much someone "works with something" or "sees it every day" they don't necessarily understand what they are looking at. Most aftermarket fuel hose these days is ethanol compatible, even if it doesn't say so - but if you are going to buy cheap-ass no-name chinese crap to save a few dollars you deserve what you get.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we assuming that most are ethanol compatible???? Not a safe assumption. I really don't give a shit. I run all ss hardline, and ss/teflon hose....Not an issue.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pump from ACN has been installed. It looks to be a much nicer pump, and it is a Carter.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At present I have been running the fabric covered OEM VW fuel line with a stock VW mechanical fuel pump. I don't think this hose or the diaphram in the pump is compatable with gas that contains alcohol. It has been said that many aircooled engine fires were caused by the fuel line slowly deteriorating, cracking, and leaking resulting in an engine fire. I know much of this could have been caused by not maintaining and checking things but...... If you're going to use rubber hose make sure it's compatable with alcohol.

I'm re-doing the fuel system in my car and will be going to an electric low pressure pump with teflon lined braided hose. The sngine is a 2110 with Weber 48 IDA's. This pump has been stated by the manufacturer (Mallory) to be compatable with fuels that contain alcohol. Many of the electric pumps are not compatable with alcohol so use your best judgement.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Quokka42"]
Hotrodvw wrote:
No, I'm certain there are some rubber seals in the pump that have dissolved. The ethanol just dissolves rubber like crazy.

Hotrodvw wrote:
I never said it will dissolve anything immediately.

Just goes to show that no matter how much someone "works with something" or "sees it every day" they don't necessarily understand what they are looking at. Most aftermarket fuel hose these days is ethanol compatible, even if it doesn't say so - but if you are going to buy cheap-ass no-name chinese crap to save a few dollars you deserve what you get.[/]

First of all, let's compare apples to apples..... When was the last time you filled up in central California? The cars I see with rotten fuel hoses are from MY area and fill up at stations in MY area. You are halfway across the world from me and your fuel comes from a totally different refinery. Are you saying ALL of the bad ass cars at my shop are all running cheap hose? If most rubber hose is safe, why do so many OEM fuel systems now have plastic fuel lines? What is the deference between a cheap and high quality CPE (chlorinated polyethylene ) rubber hose? The weak point is not how the hose is constructed, its the foundation of being made out of an inferior material to begin with. Anything you do to modify the rubber formula only prolongs the failure at best. Like I said earlier, I buy direct from XRP, they have come out with two new lines of fuel hose, BOTH are PTFE (Teflon) based. They don't sell any cheap overseas hose. I also deal with a line of hose products started but guys that left General Motors, again PTFE based. So, major manufacturers have given up on rubber for a reason, but you say MOST is compatible? No way. What is the basis of your argument? The lack of failure you see daily? If you are in Australia, how do you know you get the same amount if ethanol as those in the US?

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gates Barricade
Approved for use with leaded and unleaded gasoline, diesel, bio-diesel, E-85, methanol, ethanol, and gasohol fuels. Patented five-layer Greenshield® barrier technology keeps fuel out of the environment while delivering peak fuel efficiency.

•Meets SAE J30R14T1, EPA 40 CFR 1051.110 , and CARB small engine off-road requirements for low permeation (except for kink resistance)
•Textile spiral layer (two spiral) and thermoplastic barrier layer
•Oil, heat, ozone and abrasion resistant cover
•Recommended for carbureted engines in cars, light trucks, off-road vehicles and small engines
•Temperature rating: -40° F to 257° F (-40° C to 125° C)

Most shops sell fuel lines are like Gates 4219G, it is only rated SAE30R7, it will crack and fail just like the cloth braided stuff.
Clamped hose applications for low pressure and return lines on fuel systems. Specially designed for fuel circuits (leaded and unleaded petrol, diesel) in passenger cars and industrial vehicles. It can also be used in evaporative emission control systems and as a vent line

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Gates Barricade
Approved for use with leaded and unleaded gasoline, diesel, bio-diesel, E-85, methanol, ethanol, and gasohol fuels. Patented five-layer Greenshield® barrier technology keeps fuel out of the environment while delivering peak fuel efficiency.

•Meets SAE J30R14T1, EPA 40 CFR 1051.110 , and CARB small engine off-road requirements for low permeation (except for kink resistance)
•Textile spiral layer (two spiral) and thermoplastic barrier layer
•Oil, heat, ozone and abrasion resistant cover
•Recommended for carbureted engines in cars, light trucks, off-road vehicles and small engines
•Temperature rating: -40° F to 257° F (-40° C to 125° C)

Most shops sell fuel lines are like Gates 4219G, it is only rated SAE30R7, it will crack and fail just like the cloth braided stuff.
Clamped hose applications for low pressure and return lines on fuel systems. Specially designed for fuel circuits (leaded and unleaded petrol, diesel) in passenger cars and industrial vehicles. It can also be used in evaporative emission control systems and as a vent line

We sell this hose now. It's supposed to be the bees knees. I will say, it's about 50%+ stiffer than traditional 100R7 or 100R9 fuel and EFI hose. Whatever.......if it works it works. It took a few yrs for the major mfgr's to get rolling with it.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: