Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noticed today, a piece of my engine seal is gone! '78 Bus
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airwalker700
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Noticed today, a piece of my engine seal is gone! '78 Bus Reply with quote

Hello! I've been a long-time lurker and have not really posted much, but today I noticed something that I need opinions on!

A little background: I have a 1978 transporter, which I've had the honor of owning for the past 3 years. I picked it up locally, which was a genuine rarity for my area (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) for $1,200.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When I bought it, it had vacuum leaks and had a major lack of power. I brought it to a shop who fixed the leaks, and also replaced my wiper motor. Since then, I've also had the rear brake drums/shoes replaced, shifter bushings replaced, new tires, honestly overall not too much! I change the oil regularly, and in the summer I try to drive it just about every day, and store it in the winter. (UP winters, not bus friendly) Also, engine code is "GE016441"

So here's my new dilemma! When I bought it part of what had me so pleased was the engine seal, which looked aged, but was complete and not torn anywhere. I was just cleaning the bus up for winter storage prep, and happened to look straight down to see a chunk of that seal missing!!

I have no idea how long that chunk has been gone...a week? a month? all summer? Makes me sick. I'm aware how important that seal is for keeping the engine from overheating/damage.

So, my question is: What should I do? The engine has almost 97,000 miles on it, and does run strong. With that small piece missing, am I causing a lot of heat damage? Can I try and just fill that spot, or do I need to replace the entire seal? Not having much space or tools I'd need to hire the job out...how much would something like that cost?

I'm sorry for so many questions, but if anyone has experience with this issue, I'd love to know any opinions and advice! Thank you in advance!
JohnnyDemonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that foam seal is important, but the engine seal you are thinking of is the metal tin ware that separates the top of the engine (in the engine bay) from the bottom of the engine (hanging out the bottom below the engine bay)... if the tinware is missing you need to get that replaced ASAP, but you should be able to plug that small gap for a temp fix & replace the foam when you have the time/money...
Airwalker700
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I see the foam seal runs $35.95 on BusDepot. Does the replacement of that seal require you to drop the engine? Also what would you recommend I use as a temp fix for plugging that gap?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a new seal and install it. No special tools needed.

$35

http://www.busdepot.com/411813225
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naw, just fix it when you can
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foam seals are cheap, readily available, and take about 10-20 minutes to replace which requires no tools what so ever. After you get the seal in place from above, drive each side of your van up on a curb in turn and pull the edges of the seal down fully into place from underneath all the way around. If you want you can keep you old seal to cut pieces out of somewhere down the road if mice mess up your new one too badly.

Some people like to place the joint centered in the front of the engine compartment, put it is really not important. The seal is probably the easiest to put in if you put the joint towards the right front as getting the seal around the fuel manifold on the right side is the hardest so the less length of seal you have to work past there the better.

You are also missing the plastic seal that fits around the alternator opening. There are early and late styles.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, it's an easy job. One of the first 'mechanical' things I was able to do to my bus. No tools, bit of a fiddle, but the pride of a novice looking at the tidy new seal is worth it!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
Airwalker700
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a ton everyone!! Smile

Wildthings, what would the official name of the alternator opening seal be? I can't seem to locate that one on BusDepot
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a proper seal is best, you may be able to find a piece of neoprene foam from a plumbing/heating supplier that could be fitted in the gap as a stop gap....

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.busdepot.com/02111929501c
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever installed that seal should have oriented the gap to the front so when it shrunk it wouldn't open over the hottest part, that said don't lose sleep over it, just fix it when convenient.

I'd be more worried about the missing booster fan hose myself, might want to invest in a can of engine brite and give the whole engine a shampoo when the seal is off too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Alternator cover plate seal Reply with quote

Alternator cover plate
You need the plastic seal.
022 119 281U Plastic seal 72-74
022-903-203 Plastic seal with new cover plate is 022-903-203
Airwalker700
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Whoever installed that seal should have oriented the gap to the front so when it shrunk it wouldn't open over the hottest part, that said don't lose sleep over it, just fix it when convenient.

I'd be more worried about the missing booster fan hose myself, might want to invest in a can of engine brite and give the whole engine a shampoo when the seal is off too.

I do have that booster fan hose, although it's torn partway through the middle and was hanging loose when I first bought the bus >.< The booster fan itself does not work, turning the fan by hand you can feel lots of friction. Should I just tape up that hose, get the oval tin seals for it and reconnect it to the non-working booster fan?

And Tcash, so the plastic seal I need for the alternator plate, is that not on BusDepot? I'm not finding just the seal, and the alternator cover plate on there does not seem to come with one?
Airwalker700
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator cover plate seal Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Alternator cover plate

Would this be it?

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17165&cat=296&page=10
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airwalker700 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

I do have that booster fan hose, although it's torn partway through the middle and was hanging loose when I first bought the bus >.< The booster fan itself does not work, turning the fan by hand you can feel lots of friction. Should I just tape up that hose, get the oval tin seals for it and reconnect it to the non-working booster fan?

And Tcash, so the plastic seal I need for the alternator plate, is that not on BusDepot? I'm not finding just the seal, and the alternator cover plate on there does not seem to come with one?

It's irrelavent if the fan works, the fan has anti return flaps in it that prevent hot air from spewing into the engine compartment out of that open duct. If you don't want or need it fine, but cap off that oval shaped hole on the tin and stop preheating your cooling air.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably just gently stretch/adjust the existing foam seal so the end meet up again. I always put the joint over the bell housing area so if this does happen the hot exhaust heat doesn't get sucked into the engine compartment. I doubt that small gap did any damage to your engine.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Alternator cover plate, boot and seals Reply with quote

That would be one of them. By the looks of it there are two to pick from depending on which alt. cover plate you have. Maybe someone has some pictures of the two different cover plates.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Left=55 amp cover plate. 72-75
Right=55&70 amp cover plate. 76-79

vw76westy wrote:
i know that this is the plastic gasket
that gos between the alt and engine tin

but where, how does this gasket go ???

is one for the 55amp and the other for 70amp ??
or does one go behind the other

germansupplyscott wrote:
the top one is '76-'79, the bottom one is '72-'75.

022 903 203 Alternator seal

Quote:
Karl wrote:
Question: Does anyone know if this is the correct p/n for the tin-seal-ring for an alternator 022-903-203?

Yes, IF you use it with the replacement 022 alt cover plate. The 021 plate used a different plastic seal ring. If memory serves me: the 021 plastic ring has a raised edge on it to fit in the hole. and is NLA. The 022 ring is flat and has a locking 'tab' to hold it in place at the upper adjustment bolt. The big hole is 2 different sizes between the 021 and 022. You cannot mis-match the rings......

From the Bus Boys site:

K. 021-119-281U Alternator Coverplate, Used 1972 to 1974
K. 022-119-281 Alternator Coverplate, New 1972 to 1979

Note: When using the 022-119-281 plate as a replacement on 1972 to 1974 models, the plastic gasket for the Alternator must be replaced with newer style - order 022-903-203.

72-75

Alternator sealing ring and adjustment cover plate
lostorbit
A couple of NLA parts that are hard to find. Luckily, I scored both from The Samba classifieds.

Part numbers in case you're looking for some:
Alternator Seal - 022 903 203
Adjustment cover plate - 021 119 295

Custom Bus Alternator Coverplate

Elbow, Alternator Air Exhaust, 55amp Alt
Elbow, Alternator Air Exhaust, 70amp Alt

Last edited by Tcash on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been able in the past to make the flatter of the two types of alternator seals buy just cutting up an oil or antifreeze jug. Worked well for years until I found a stock one.

With a bit more ingenuity I could probably come up with a reasonable facsimile of the other style as well.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator cover plate seal Reply with quote

Airwalker700 wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Alternator cover plate

Would this be it?

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17165&cat=296&page=10

Got a little carried away.
Yes that would be the correct seal.
Airwalker700
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator cover plate seal Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Airwalker700 wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Alternator cover plate

Would this be it?

Got a little carried away.
Yes that would be the correct seal.

I appreciate it! Definitely not having much luck finding that seal, I'll have to keep my eyes wide open and wait for the opportunity. If anyone knows anyone with one, I'd definitely be interested!

Wildthings - I may need to use your idea of an oil/antifreeze jug, by chance do you have any pics of the ones you made? Perhaps measurements too?

Busdaddy - Thank you as well for that information, ordering the hose and seals for the booster fan ASAP.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: