Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torsion bar body mounting points
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Torsion bar body mounting points Reply with quote

So, we pulled the body off the 1950 split project again today, just so I could install the engine compartment seals and the body to pan seals. So, I took advantage of the moment to make sure everything was ready for the final attachment of body to pan. As I was making sure that I had the right body to pan bolts, I found that the attachment points in the front torsion bars had no threads at all. Just holes, as seen in the picture below....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So, what should this look like? Do I need to find some captive nuts to weld into the holes in the torsion tubes?
roymartian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting - I have same issue 11G 1950, I think captive nuts have come away.

Will post photos later
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked through the gallery, and found several pictures showing a cylindrical threaded piece that seems to be completely missing on my car (see pic below that I stole from the Gallery).....

If anyone is aware of anyone who sells that piece, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm going to just go the route of welding some nuts onto the torsion tube.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split beams don't have the protuberance on the two mounts like the beam in the second picture. They are flush with the beam brackets. If yours have no threads then they probably got stripped out at some point. Depending on what type of captive nuts you have you might be able to install helicoils if they are thick enough. Otherwise you will need to remove what is left of the old ones and weld in new ones.

This is a split beam

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect....thanks, Chris!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: