Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Father/Son Rail Build -- Jumpin' in with Both Feet
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rzrback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Father/Son Rail Build -- Jumpin' in with Both Feet Reply with quote

Back in January, I decided that my son and I should do a project together. Next year is his last year in high school, then it's off to the Navy (hopefully). We decided that we wanted to build a street legal sand rail from the ground up. So after crawling all the forums here and looking at many parts sites, we ordered a frame. My ex-father in law is an excellent welder so we took it down to his shop. He's teaching both my son and I to weld. Here's a pic of my son doing surprisingly well for his first welding project. It's a Cruiser frame from Berrien Buggy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So we got the bottom welded. We started to put the top bars on but I think we have to wait until we get the torsion housing to put the first rear roll bar on.

We are on a budget, so we are getting this thing in pieces. During our piecing this thing together, I was thinking I shoulda ordered it already welded together and paid the extra, but trying to save some money.

Anyway, here's a start to our build thread. It's gonna go slow, but hopefully steady.

Any great advice as we move along would be greatly appreciated.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shame in a slow build. It is the satisfaction of doing it yourself that counts.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
rzrback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! I was stressing about the front and rear suspension when I happened by a guys house with several bugs in various states of repair sitting outside his shop. I stopped and talked to him for a bit. He's got a bunch of parts just sitting around. Including a couple of front beams and torsions.

The problem is that both front beams he has are bent. Can those be straightened?

I should have taken some pictures. I'll try and get by there next week.
rzrback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
No shame in a slow build. It is the satisfaction of doing it yourself that counts.

Thanks, and thanks for sharing your build.
BajaRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba!
Me and my dad also have a project that we have been working on. It has been such an awesome experience to learn so much about baja bugs from him. I'm currently a Senior in Highschool with the year wrapping up quickly. We are hoping to have my car street legal by the end of the school year. My dad has done a plethora of research and he is quite knowledgeable if you guys ever need the help. We also have a budget build but have found some pretty amazing deals and trades. Good luck on your build.
-BajaRag
rzrback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Great bargain Reply with quote

Ran across a swell guy who used to build and race bugs with his dad in the 70's. He had some parts in his yard and offered me a great deal on a broke down bug with IRS rear suspension and ball joint front end. He also threw in a transmission and a couple of axles.

Got the front suspension off with no problem. Now it's time to get the rear suspension off.

What's the best way to get the rear suspension out?
BUGGUTZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the body off and surgically remove the entire rear torsion and horns in one piece.
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates?

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
rzrback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for checking back. It seems that work, school and other required home projects have just interfered. I got a new job, so I've been away from home for about 3 months now. My son started back to school in his senior year, so band trips, practices, and other things have just taken over.

However, we are still motivated, but we are stuck. What I would like to do is see if I can get someone who is skilled at welding these frames to go ahead, finish the frame with the rear torsion and get it to a rolling chassis. While I would really like to have a complete hands-on project, it is just not practical.

I talked to a couple of local welders and they are either booked up solid for months or they don't want to tackle the project. I also talked to a guy at Texas Rail Frames in Dallas, but the owner is in the hospital, and is likely to not be able to get back to work soon, if at all.

So if anyone out there is within a day's drive of Little Rock, Arkansas and has the jigs for welding a Berrien Cruiser frame, send me a PM.
rzrback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Coming to Grips with Reality Reply with quote

There comes a time when reality creeps in...then slaps you in the face. With my work schedule and my son's work/school/band schedule, we just can't get this thing going. I've checked with local welders and they aren't willing to do it or just don't have the time.

I've decided to scrap this project and do something more realistic. Today I'm going to pick up a Bremen Mini Mark that was partially restored by a local guy. He's rebuilt the engine and cleaned it up really well. The main things that need to be done are electrical, which is well within my skill zone.

I have a Berrien 112 inch frame that is partially welded for sale for anyone that lives close to Arkansas. And some various other parts including a transmission and complete front suspension.
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hold onto the trans it never hurts to have an extra. same with the suspension parts if they match up to what you are getting on the new project. you will never get enough out of them to pay for the cost of a new one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: