Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 30 31 pict is damaged and need a new carb
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smallstang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: My 30 31 pict is damaged and need a new carb Reply with quote

I have a rail buggy that I just bought. After buying it I started fixing it up and it runs great but doesn't idle. I started looking around and noticed that what looks like a freeze pug on the carb had fell out and it causes a large vac leak. So I'm looking to find out the cheapest carb I can put back on it so I can get this thing in the woods and have it idle. I have took it on a ride and it preformed great but it's a real pain holding the gas to keep it running. I don't mind buying a used one if it's already rebuilt and ready to install but would even buy a new one if it can be done for under a hundred. any Ideas?
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about just putting the plug back in ? maybe with some JB weld.

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB welding a coin in place of the plug IS the fix. Common problem, common solution.
smallstang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took and siliconed a plastic plug in and stopped the leak but the carb still refuses to idle, I've went by the book on setting the idle and still can't get it to. I've been told those carbs are trash even when new so I was told to replace with a 34 cause it would do the job. I have the idle soloniod hooked up and all the vacuum ports are plugged may have a leak somewhere but thought maybe I could just replace it and hopefully get it to purring again
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you really want a 34 pict, I have one set up for off-road, that I'm selling for $50.
But you should know that a 34 won't just bolt on in place of yours.

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
smallstang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What else would I need to bolt it up and be ready?
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: My 30 31 pict is damaged and need a new carb Reply with quote

smallstang wrote:
I have a rail buggy that I just bought. After buying it I started fixing it up and it runs great but doesn't idle. I started looking around and noticed that what looks like a freeze pug on the carb had fell out and it causes a large vac leak. So I'm looking to find out the cheapest carb I can put back on it so I can get this thing in the woods and have it idle. I have took it on a ride and it preformed great but it's a real pain holding the gas to keep it running. I don't mind buying a used one if it's already rebuilt and ready to install but would even buy a new one if it can be done for under a hundred. any Ideas?

I use that Brosol. It's actually a great carb and very misunderstood. Mine is modified with a milled off choke housing and jetted up with a drilled primary plate and no idle cutoff solenoid.

Tripicana is right, put a dime in there with some JB weld. That is a hole left behind from the casting and the factory plug falls out all the time.
If you leave that hole open and drive at speed for a long period of time, the lean condition will cook your heads first and then your motor. Just plug it, really, it's a great little carb.

Note Glenns picture in this thread.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=208829
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least get a rebuild kit.
smallstang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Herc I took your advice and went ahead and rebuilt the carb for giggles and I used jb weld as other suggested and have to say I'm very pleased to say she now purrs like a kitten. Thank you very much for every ones post and helping me get it idling perfect now
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news my brutha. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: