Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cruise control in 84 w/ 2.2
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTibbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalispell365 wrote:
If you go back and search through my posts, you will find out that you will need to cut the back for the Fast forward one as well.I also have the same backing as you do.
Also, you may have problems as I (and others) did with the 8 pulse from them in my EJ motor. You actually need the 4 pulse for a Subaru which is what everyone else sells. Subaru uses 5 pulses in the car your motor came from, and the 8 pulse will max out the speed on your ecu, making it think you are going over 100mph causing a fuel cut.Maybe you can contact David and get it fixed before he ships.

Did you end up swapping for a 4 pulse unit?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES...
David swapped me out and my ECU is much happier now. His product is top notch, but I don't for the life of me know why there is even an 8 pulse made. Im surprised he isn't willing to change his recommendation of the 8 pulse for the Subaru, considering I know of two that he has had to swap out for his customers so he is well aware of the problem.
Maybe some other engine uses it, but for sure not any Subaru conversion! If you are a part of the Vanagon Subaru yahoo group, you can find similar information on there as well as searching on here.
MrTibbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got around to installing the FastForward VSS and after some slight dremeling, it bolted in just fine:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Connected the signal wire where I think it goes on the CC unit (the only clipped/disconnected wire in the brain junction), and took a spin up the highway. No dice. Not sure if the 4 pulse 5 volt isn't compatabile w/ the old CC unit, or something else is going on.

Well at least I have a VSS signal ready to go into the ECU.

On a positive note I figured I might as well upgrade the dash lights while I have it all open...so at least 1 thing got done and works for the day.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrTibbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally working.

I gave up on the vintage CC unit that never got working from the prior owner and went w/:

-Rostra Global Cruise

-Rostra Closed Circuit Switch 250-3421

-Fast Forward VSS (4P) 5v square wave (had to cut a some additional case material on the 84 speedo case...but it did have a vss provision

-Spliced into existing CC harness (it was a lazy mans way. I did not want to run 8 wires from the front to back again. It led to a slightly more complex wiring diagram, but not a problem w/ some documentation of silly things I did)

- Cheap brake light switch used for Neutral Safety Switch (connection between ECU NSS wire and ground) $15 vs the $40 Rostra NSS kit.

- Jb welded a small contact pad to clutch foot lever for NSS switch to have better contact area (cut a piece of an old license plate)

The rest of the connections from the Vanagon were fairly straightforward.
-12v switched power
-Hot side brake
-Cold side brake

It took longer than it probably should have, due to the time taken to figure out what the PO did while retrofitting the old CC unit (lots of hard to find fused links in wiring), but overall I'm happy having the cruise control available for that next long trip!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: