Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noticed today, a piece of my engine seal is gone! '78 Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not having much luck finding that seal
Salvage Yards

Good Luck
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the foam seal that goes around the tin:

I have found that the one sold by BusDepot (which is probably the same one everyone sells) is a bit short, like by a couple of inches. So, I advise buying 2 of them if you can afford it. Use the second one for "parts", as in shorter strips that can fill in gaps.

There are two ways to approach the disconnected hoses that go from the blower fan to the heat exchangers, but leaving it open is not good.

1. Do as BusDaddy points out, and install the hose even if the fan does not work. This takes advantage of the flappers in the fan (assuming they are still there) which will keep air from blowing into the engine compartment. If the flappers are not there in the fan housing, then you will need to get some before getting the fan hooked up anyway. Meanshile, if the flappers are not there, you can try...

2. Simply get some of the good aluminum duct tape (the real stuff, not your standard duct tape) and seal off the ducts to the heat exchangers there in the engine compartment. That at least keeps air from blowing into the engine compartment.

There are also seals to be had that go around the ducting where it penetrates the tin. These are also important if you really want to make it all air tight.

Somewhere... is a nice explanation of how the heat works on these engines, drawn by Colin Kellogg. It shows the significance of the flappers in the blower fan, as well as those (which are commonly missing) in the bottom of the shroud on Type IV engines. It's all about directing air over the heat exchangers, and not allowing it to get back into the engine compartment.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Airwalker700
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Update on the alternator seal! Reply with quote

Hello everyone! Well I've been on the hunt for the alternator seal, and I believe I found one that would work for me! It's in a '76 automatic at a local scrap yard.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's in the middle of a snowy field unfortunately, and I need to get the seal out without their assistance. I just wanted to confirm the process of removing this thing before I get out there and have something unexpected hit me!

Checking the Bentley manual, it looks like I'd need to remove the oil filler neck, the dipstick, and the rubber grommet up and off the dipstick tube.

Then it says to remove the "fillister head screws (7)" So are there 7 of these screws? It's labeled as number 40 (Bentley pg. 21) but I'm only seeing one, in the upper right-hand side of the alternator cover plate.

Then the oval cover, and use a 12-point driver to loosen and lower the alternator mounting bolt. Swing alternator to the left, and unhook the drive belt from the pulley. Should be home free from there.

Am I missing anything? Sorry for the mass of text and questions, but I'm still newer to this game and just want to do my best to try and do it right! Thanks in advance!
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Noticed today, a piece of my engine seal is gone! '78 Bu Reply with quote

Now I FINALY know who drives this bus around!!! I have been wondering for quite some time.

Airwalker700 wrote:
Hello! I've been a long-time lurker and have not really posted much, but today I noticed something that I need opinions on!

A little background: I have a 1978 transporter, which I've had the honor of owning for the past 3 years. I picked it up locally, which was a genuine rarity for my area (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) for $1,200.

When I bought it, it had vacuum leaks and had a major lack of power. I brought it to a shop who fixed the leaks, and also replaced my wiper motor. Since then, I've also had the rear brake drums/shoes replaced, shifter bushings replaced, new tires, honestly overall not too much! I change the oil regularly, and in the summer I try to drive it just about every day, and store it in the winter. (UP winters, not bus friendly) Also, engine code is "GE016441"

So here's my new dilemma! When I bought it part of what had me so pleased was the engine seal, which looked aged, but was complete and not torn anywhere. I was just cleaning the bus up for winter storage prep, and happened to look straight down to see a chunk of that seal missing!!

I have no idea how long that chunk has been gone...a week? a month? all summer? Makes me sick. I'm aware how important that seal is for keeping the engine from overheating/damage.

So, my question is: What should I do? The engine has almost 97,000 miles on it, and does run strong. With that small piece missing, am I causing a lot of heat damage? Can I try and just fill that spot, or do I need to replace the entire seal? Not having much space or tools I'd need to hire the job out...how much would something like that cost?

I'm sorry for so many questions, but if anyone has experience with this issue, I'd love to know any opinions and advice! Thank you in advance!

As for the bus in the MenCO scrap yard in Calumet, I believe it is a 75. I pulled some parts off the engine a few weeks back. Hope you don't need any of them. Last I was there, all the engine compartment sealing tin was still in place. Wink

Airwalker700 wrote:
Hello everyone! Well I've been on the hunt for the alternator seal, and I believe I found one that would work for me! It's in a '76 automatic at a local scrap yard.

It's in the middle of a snowy field unfortunately, and I need to get the seal out without their assistance. I just wanted to confirm the process of removing this thing before I get out there and have something unexpected hit me!

Checking the Bentley manual, it looks like I'd need to remove the oil filler neck, the dipstick, and the rubber grommet up and off the dipstick tube.

Then it says to remove the "fillister head screws (7)" So are there 7 of these screws? It's labeled as number 40 (Bentley pg. 21) but I'm only seeing one, in the upper right-hand side of the alternator cover plate.

Then the oval cover, and use a 12-point driver to loosen and lower the alternator mounting bolt. Swing alternator to the left, and unhook the drive belt from the pulley. Should be home free from there.

Am I missing anything? Sorry for the mass of text and questions, but I'm still newer to this game and just want to do my best to try and do it right! Thanks in advance!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good engine for use or other parts too.... I'd be taking a lot more than just the alternator cover pieces.

If its a scrap engine, just cut the belt, not worth the effort to pry it around the alternator. Then start removing things... It'll be pretty self explainatory as you go.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Airwalker700
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Noticed today, a piece of my engine seal is gone! '78 Bu Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Now I FINALY know who drives this bus around!!! I have been wondering for quite some time.

It's a small world up here, hey? Wink Out of curiosity what parts did you take off the engine? Part of me really wants to buy that engine but I don't really have the garage/tools/ability at the moment >.< I've seen that bus a few times over the past couple years, and I actually first met it from a craigslist seller! It was before I had my brown bus and I wasn't looking for a parts bus and passed...bummer because it was a lot cheaper than MenCo wants! Live and learn.

Anyway, nice to meet another yooper on here!
dugfresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUY the Whole bus... or Buy the Whole Motor out of that bus!!!
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Noticed today, a piece of my engine seal is gone! '78 Bu Reply with quote

Small world indeed! I'm currently about 10 miles away in Houghton, MI. Cool

I took the distributor (minus the cap), rocker cover bail wires, breather tower bail wire, and the thermostat. I payed for, but forgot to take the thermostat wire pulley. I am tempted to go back and get it, and then take the cooling fan intake screen off the shroud, but I hated dealing with MenCO. Would you believe that they took the normal price of what they would sell parts for and then doubled it!?!? I asked why they doubled the selling price for me and they said they thought someone would buy it to restore. Yeah right, that bus is a piece of crap. It's a junkyard for heaven sakes. I wasn't very happy, but I figured by the time I bought the individual parts online and had them shipped to my door, it would work out to be about the same anyways.

Airwalker700 wrote:
Vanapplebomb wrote:

It's a small world up here, hey? Wink Out of curiosity what parts did you take off the engine? Part of me really wants to buy that engine but I don't really have the garage/tools/ability at the moment >.< I've seen that bus a few times over the past couple years, and I actually first met it from a craigslist seller! It was before I had my brown bus and I wasn't looking for a parts bus and passed...bummer because it was a lot cheaper than MenCo wants! Live and learn.

Anyway, nice to meet another yooper on here!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: