Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Frame Head Bottom Cover Plate
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClareSutton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Frame Head Bottom Cover Plate Reply with quote

The frame head bottom cover plate on my '73 standard beetle is badly rusted out in the center. I want to replace it and have ordered a new one. I read everything that I could find in the search forum to get an idea as how to replace it. Most of the information says to remove the old one and weld in the new one. I am no welder and I don't even have the equipment. If the old plate is only rusted out in the center could I not just clean it up and pop rivet the new one on top? I could grind down areas to make it fit properly and maintain the strength from the old plate and use the new plate as protection for the old plate and the exposed tunnel. Would that be so bad?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a structural part - holding and aligning the front suspension on. Pop riveting is not a structural repair. If rusted thru hole is larger than a couple inches the current spot welds need to be ground off, rusted plated removed and a qualified welder weld a new plate on maintaining correct alignment while grinding off old and welding new. Where there is a small amount of rust - cleaning the area will usually reveal far greater damage. You could sand blast area and if not too bad - treat with POR-15 BUT if it too bad it makes it dangerous to drive. Post picture (with reference item) if uncertain.
ClareSutton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is some pictures. Would welding the new plate over top of the old one work? That way the alignment would be maintained.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to remove the old plate entirely and get a good look at how bad it really is. Not an area of the car you want to skimp on when it comes to repair. You might find when you get into it, that you have to replace the entire frame head. No way to tell until you get it taken apart.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you don't remove any of the frame head where the beam bolts on, you will not affect the alignment.

I also would remove all of the old bits and repair it correctly. Hard to tell from the pictures but I see what look like a couple of welds in places the factory didn't put them. It just doesn't look right. Could have already been patched up.

I have done this repair before, but only on a bare chassis. With the gas tank and front suspension removed it can probably be done with the body on but I have no idea how difficult it would be to reach everywhere you need to get it cleaned and welded up properly.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
ClareSutton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Frame Head Bottom Cover Plate Reply with quote

Repaired by Sarnia Welding Company. Looks good to me.

GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait a second... did they weld the plate to the torsion tube?
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
wait a second... did they weld the plate to the torsion tube?

Looks. like it to me... no changing that out with out a lot of work
ClareSutton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes!! Any pictures I have seen look like there are welds attached to the torsion tube. Is this a problem? The car drives and handles well.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll only be a problem when you go to remove the beam.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that could be true, but why did they weld it there in the first place? If it was to add strength, I'd question the rest of their welding. If they simply were clueless on where to weld what... well that's not exactly confidence-inspiring.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
ClareSutton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the welder was following the previous "fix" job by the previous owner. As mentioned earlier there were a few welds that were not put there by the factory and from the looks of the previous pictures they were to the torsion tube. The welder told me that when the old plate was removed there was a lot of repair to do beneath it. To the tune of $2500.00CDN to be exact. These guys are a big operation that does work on mostly heavy machinery (transport trucks, bulldozers etc) so I really believe in their work. I just think that they thought that the plate was supposed to be welded to the tube. Thanks for your input, guys.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will only be an issue if and wheen you have front beam problems.

I'd wager your repair is stronger than VW's four bolt beam attachment system was when new!

Drive it, enjoy it!

Just don't hit something and bend that front beam!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only imagine the grease fire that occurred with the welding of the beam.. Shocked
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: