Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to the super convertible realm
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
latinporsche911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: New to the super convertible realm Reply with quote

Just recently purchased a 73 convertible and slowly will be making a few changes from its current state to a more original look (interior wise).

Someone took its original front seats out (railings and hump as well), the back seat was replaced with some speaker boom box and a few odds and ends that need to be replaced or acquired to make it ok (in my eyes).

I bought it from a guy who bought it in Vegas. The title is still under the information of a previous owner in Las Vegas, an auto shop of some sort. I called them, wanting to know a bit about the motor and what not, but the gentleman didn’t know much, other that is was on a lien, he stored it until he was able to get the title and then sold the car to someone who sold it to the guy I purchased it from (something like that).

My question/curiosity: Is there a way to know what type of motor this car has?
Anyone have an idea what type of seats these are? They are bolted on to the pan but do not recline (which I don’t like).
I wonder if anyone knows any info about this bug… if so, I would greatly appreciate the info.
Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
Keithinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not one of the "wise" ones. There are many on here that are so sharp. I'm sure they will be able to tell you everything you need to know. Congrats, looks awesome.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to have a 1600 dual port engine, but that is just what it started out as. The engine could have bigger pistons, and cylinders and a crankshaft making it anywhere from 1585cc (called a 1600) to 2275cc or bigger. The cylinder heads will need to come off to determine the size.
The dual carburetors look like Weber IDF, or Dellorto's and are a nice set up for VW engines.
The seat bases can be bought aftermarket and welded in to use stock seats. I can't see enough of the seat to tell you what kind you have. A trip to the junkyard can yield you some very nice seats that recline for a good price.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't mean that it's "bad", but just about everything bolted onto that engine is aftermarket.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
latinporsche911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keithinky... hopefully I am able to use it soon enough. There seems to be good power on the motor but just doesnt show it when I put it on 1st and so on. I will have to check the tranny/clutch and all that.

Thanks wbrown45... I was hoping there would be some way of knowing how many cc's it has without needing to open it. So I guess I'll never know.
I am in the process of acquiring 73 front seats and so forth.

Cusser... Yeah, with all that chrome in there, i figured it was mostly aftermarket. It looks nice and does have quite the nice strong sound.
Her74buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it had Nevada plates I bet there's a shop there that worked on it and knows that engine. It has unique paint so I bet if you emailed that photo to a few of the VW shops there you might get a bite. It's worth a try.
Is the owner before the show name on the title? Maybe look him up and give him a call?
A little investigating is easier than pulling the engine to pop the heads.....
latinporsche911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola - Her74buggy

Well I wont online to check info on the shop that shows up on the title, got their number and called them. Talked to a gentlemen there but he doesn't have any info on the motor or car.
But I guess as long as the motor works fine and seems strong I guess I can live with the mystery of the specifics on that motor.
thanks for your help though.
trynne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seats look to me to be off road type sold on the aftermarket for Jeeps etc. They are available in a narrow and wide width? There are lots of seat replacement threads here if you do a search and you will see everything from Miata seats, BMW, Fiero, and Honda being used. Make sure whatever seats you get are from a 2 door coupe or convertible so the have a forward tilt release so you can get to your back seat area. Also they need to be pretty narrow to fit easily without interfering with the hand brake and center seatbelt coupler. I am using Fiero seats.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569446&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be too quick to revert back to factory Beetle seats.

Many, myself included, find them a tad hard and unsupportive, they are a literal pain in the Ass!

I put Honda Civic seats into my 1974 Super Vert...... far Far FAR Better!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Don't be too quick to revert back to factory Beetle seats.

Many, myself included, find them a tad hard and unsupportive, they are a literal pain in the Ass!

I put Honda Civic seats into my 1974 Super Vert...... far Far FAR Better!

Dave

Jap seats in a bug! I thought they all blew up if you did that? Very Happy

The 76 and on have Golf seats, much better than the old springy seats.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
latinporsche911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trynne - Gracias for the info and the link. I had previously searched and read a bit here in Samba about what people had done with the front seats but the set up that you did on your vert is definitively quite similar to the set up in regards to the frame that supports the seats on my bug. The only difference is that instead of being welded they bolted on to the pan. I will have to find either some Fiero seats or do my research as to what type of seats would work well and the whole placement on the pan. But thanks for the info.

Dave - Thanks... I will check into that. Having to drive a couple of hours during the weekends will definitively make me check to see a comfortable pair for this car.

allsidius - I'll check into the newer 76 and up seats as well. thanks
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbrown45 wrote:

The dual carburetors look like Weber IDF, or Dellorto's and are a nice set up for VW engines. .

They are Weber ICTs which are pretty well the smallest of the twin carbs, just 34mm single throat so I'd be surprised if the engine was bigger than 1600.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
wbrown45 wrote:

The dual carburetors look like Weber IDF, or Dellorto's and are a nice set up for VW engines. .

They are Weber ICTs which are pretty well the smallest of the twin carbs, just 34mm single throat so I'd be surprised if the engine was bigger than 1600.

You are right, I broke out the old magnifying glass, and they are ICT's. Smile They are still a decent carb if you get the jetting, and linkage set up right.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed new Wolfsburg West horsehair (coconut fiber/latex) and new TMI seat covers, and they are quite comfortable for long rides.

Tim
latinporsche911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joel for the info. I was hoping the motor would be bigger than a 1600 but it is what it is.

Thanks Tim.. I will check into that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: