Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine compatibility
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Engine compatibility Reply with quote

I 've searched and cannot find any reference to larger/later engine compatibility to replace original 36 HP engines. Are there modifications to the engine mounts ? Would the transmission have to be replaced as well ? What size of engines are possible, 1500, 1600 etc?

Tom
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of early pre-61 Originally 36hp bugs running around with big engines in them. Usually though the non synchromesh split transaxles have been replaced with at least a 40 horse transaxle though. The 36 and 40 horse engines used a 180 mm clutch flywheel set up Not sure what needs to be done to make them if take a 200mm flywheel clutch as is found in the later beetles. One way to do it would be to upgrade to a 1968 transaxle then you could run the 200mm flywheel clutch etc found on the 1500 1600cc engines.. The 1967 and 68 transaxles are quite a bit better. I put a 200 mm flywheel engine into my 1967 beetle which must have had the smaller 180mm bell housing as the flywheel was hitting the bell housing but starting the engine and driving it some it self machined the bell housing very well!
The engine compartment size is another issue so you will find the rear engine tin on them has usually been trimmed to fit them with the larger engine installed (Not sure what this involves though!)
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: transaxle Reply with quote

This would mean a different rear track width then ?

I'm weighing the possibility of larger engine, if I have to rebuild the 36 HP; currently in the bug.

Tom
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: