Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bumper reinforcement bracket colors??
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: bumper reinforcement bracket colors?? Reply with quote

I bought a new set of bumper reinforcement brackets for my '66 Sedan and painted them L91 from Wolfsburg West. This color matches the inside of the bumpers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Meaning aftermarket new- not factory, right Shortride?

Pre 1961 the reinforcement brackets are Black. '61 and up are supposed to be L91 silver. These are the colors whether there aftermarket or factory. The ones I bought are new but exact copies of the factory ones.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortride wrote:
hitest wrote:

Pre 1961 the reinforcement brackets are Black. '61 and up are supposed to be L91 silver. These are the colors whether there aftermarket or factory. The ones I bought are new but exact copies of the factory ones.

That's what I was asking- because my factory original brackets on my '63 were painted silver- not zinc like you bought. If you had NOS VW-made brackets- they would be silver or black painted.

I bolded your text because most aftermarket companies don't give a rip about what should be- and I've never seen a company give you a choice- let alone the right shade of silver. I hope you are using German bumper brackets (or at least WW) if you are assembling bumpers right now (especially the rear one).

By the way- those reinforcement brackets came out nice!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
shortride wrote:
hitest wrote:

That's what I was asking- because my factory original brackets on my '63 were painted silver- not zinc like you bought. If you had NOS VW-made brackets- they would be silver or black painted.

I bolded your text because most aftermarket companies don't give a rip about what should be- and I've never seen a company give you a choice- let alone the right shade of silver. I hope you are using German bumper brackets (or at least WW) if you are assembling bumpers right now (especially the rear one).

By the way- those reinforcement brackets came out nice!

I'm guess but I would think the after market manufacturer plated them because it may be hard to sell rusted parts off the shelf and plating is cheaper than painting in manufacturing quantifies.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: