Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fan shroud "oddities"?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
congerz83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Fan shroud "oddities"? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I decided to re-paint my tinning. When I took it apart, I noticed some things. The two areas circled in red were LOADED with RTV. While the green area had some kind of metal tape over it. Can someone give me a clue to why this may have been done? I want this to fit back together perfectly. Does anyone have any tips.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green and red circle on the right ordinarily have rubber seals to seal that exit chute (for your off-set oil cooler). The red circle on the left? Maybe the PO thought that needed a seal. But it shouldn't.

Tim

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green circle should have foam seal tape that you can get at almost any hardware store.

Same foam seal tape needs to be over the oil cooler to seal cooler to the shroud. All cooling air goes thru the cooler, not around it.

Red circle should have a rubber seal and two seals where the DH exhaust tube goes out thru the front engine tin,

The 1971 DH diagram thru the link below. "F" is the pair of seals for where the exhaust tube goes out the front tin.

http://www.bus-boys.com/aircoolsystem71.html

Measure your cooling fan to make sure it is a DH one or hopefully the really big 35 mm fan last used.

61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "oddities"? Reply with quote

congerz83 wrote:
Can someone give me a clue to why this may have been done?

The fan and housing make up the major portion of the forced air cooling system.
It took engine horsepower to make that air, and any that doesn't make it past the cylinders or heads is wasted energy and reduced cooling.

Therefore, you want to seal off any gaps and openings as best as practical to prevent the loss of precious cooling air Wink

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "oddities"? Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
congerz83 wrote:

It took engine horsepower to make that air, and any that doesn't make it past the cylinders or heads is wasted energy and reduced cooling.

Therefore, you want to seal off any gaps and openings as best as practical to prevent the loss of precious cooling air Wink

Very important point made. seal all leaks, excess holes etc... When sealing, avoid tapes that could fail and get sucked into the fan intake, that will surely hinder cooling. Duct tape will fail.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
congerz83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "oddities"? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
61SNRF wrote:
congerz83 wrote:

Very important point made. seal all leaks, excess holes etc... When sealing, avoid tapes that could fail and get sucked into the fan intake, that will surely hinder cooling. Duct tape will fail.

So will high-temp RTV do the job?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan shroud "oddities"? Reply with quote

congerz83 wrote:

So will high-temp RTV do the job?

VW didn't think it was required.

If the sheet metal is straight then the gap will be minimal and no goop is needed. But all seals VW called for should be sourced and used.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a cheap repro shroud that has gaps everywhere which is why its loaded up with sealant and tape.

Best thing you can do with that is bin it, it doesn't even have the internal air deflectors which will shorten engine life dramatically.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi R; it's Roland with the green '77 Beetle from Chris' (ClassicVWBugs) open houses.

Here's a shot of a good German doghouse shroud from the gallery. The chute coming out the bottom right bolts to the shroud first (AFTER the shroud is down in place on the engine). The thin rubber seal that goes between the top of the chute and the triangular piece- you can make one by taking a rubber vacuum or fuel hose, slitting it along its length, and fitting the cut over the chute's top edge. The left edge of the triangular piece has a thin piece of foam. Like mentioned above, you can get a strip of regular weatherstrip foam, like 1/4" wide, at a HW store. Just wipe the surface of the triangular piece with mineral spirits to get rid of any dirt. The triangle piece is the last one to install.

When you fit that chute into the opening in the front cross-tin, make another rubber seal for the top of the tin's opening. It'd be shaped like a sideways "D".

Here you can see the three seals-

The foam strip on the oil cooler itself is visible here. You can extend the foam more if you want, but the section shown on the vertical edge of the cooler is enough to direct cooling air into the cooler rather than past it.

Your left red circle- you can try fitting a slit rubber hose to the top of the cylinder tin's edge, going from the side above the spark plugs then going around the FRONT of the tin's edge (near the firewall). This will close the gap between the aftermarket shroud and your cylinder tins.

Silicone/RTV remnants are hell for paint. Wipe that edge really well with spirits so that your spray can paint adheres. You'll still probably see fisheyes develop almost immediately when the fresh paint is misted on. Don't worry much- nobody will see the front of the shroud.
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years I used aluminum tape to seal the two areas on the right. But pressurized air from the fan would blow through the tape quickly.
congerz83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roland...

I realize, after cleaning and repainting, that these gaps are pretty bad. I guess I need a whole new shroud and triangle piece.

My engine is an 1835cc (so says the previous owner)

Would it be easier/more efficient to purchase an external oil-cooler kit?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I suggest reducing the air losses like you've learned here, and carefully fit the triangle piece to get your engine going again. You can look for a German doghouse over the winter, or at the latest, down at the Englishtown NJ VW meet in April. Also, your HPMX kit's manifolds supposedly won't work with a German doghouse shroud because the manifolds will cause the inner faces of the carbs to hit the sides of the shroud. The German doghouse shrouds are wider than the one you have because they have the fresh air outlets coming out the sides like "puffed cheeks". Rolling Eyes

I really don't think you need or want an external oil cooler! You've learned enough here to modify your current shroud enough to increase the cooling effect through the doghouse. Routing your oil through an external cooler in our "moderate" NY climate is a waste for a street-driven near-stock Beetle.
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rome.

the 1600 doghouse cooler setup has quite enough cooling capacity to cool a 2000 type4 engine when converted to upright cooling system, so an external cooler is not normally required.

The original cooling system (German fan shroud with all it's internal guide vanes - not an aftermarket shroud which are sometimes "empty" inside), together with the foam around the cooler itself and the Hover Bit at the bottom to stop air spilling out before it goes through the cooler, works VERY well.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
congerz83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussiebug wrote:
I agree with Rome.

the 1600 doghouse cooler setup has quite enough cooling capacity to cool a 2000 type4 engine when converted to upright cooling system, so an external cooler is not normally required.

The original cooling system (German fan shroud with all it's internal guide vanes - not an aftermarket shroud which are sometimes "empty" inside), together with the foam around the cooler itself and the Hover Bit at the bottom to stop air spilling out before it goes through the cooler, works VERY well.

So I need a new shroud with vanes and a thermostat? Where do I find one. It looks like all of the ones at Mid America Motorsport are missing these.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congerz83 wrote:
Aussiebug wrote:
I agree with Rome.

So I need a new shroud with vanes and a thermostat? Where do I find one. It looks like all of the ones at Mid America Motorsport are missing these.

Here are some for you......

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search

If you can avoid aftermarket fan shrouds, many or poorly made, lack internal baffles and have poor fit. Instead get a OEM dog house fan shroud set up with all OEM pieces.
The later fuel injected Bug had the best fan shroud for putting the most air to the heads. By then, smog control was causing higher head temps (lean mixtures) so more air was sent to the heads at the expense of the oil cooler.

If you got a big (ie big bore or stroked motor) go for the best head cooling and handle any oil heat issues with an external cooler as needed in addition tot eh stock cooler.
Of course even the early dog house shroud is good too, all of them get the hot air from the oil cooler away from cylinder #3, but the last of them for the injected Bugs do put more air to the heads at expense of oil cooler.

With a Dog house fan set up, you will need a louvered deck lid or stand offs, the solid deck lid does not allow enough air into the engine for the bigger dog house fan, and your engine will starve of air at high speed, standing off the deck lid by just 1/2 inch does the trick although it is better to pick up the air up high (cooler)

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R, your engine ran for the entire time you've had the car so far with that "oddity" shroud. I suggest reassembling it with the fan shroud you now have and just repainted, and also implement some of the air sealing tips we've provided. I know you are really eager to see how the HPMXs work. Then once you have them tuned/adjusted, etc. keep a lookout for a good German shroud to install during the winter. Then at least you have the benefit of having the basic adjustments done on the carbs so that you can pull the engine and swap shrouds over a weekend. If you find a shroud that also has the thermostat flaps intact, consider it a bonus. It's not difficult to fit a thermostat (and bracket) on the right side of the engine case, and adjust it so that you have factory-efficient engine cooling.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: