Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nokian Line Tires
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Nokian Line Tires Reply with quote

On the hunt for 215/65/15

Found Nokian has a new model called Line.
http://www.nokiantyres.com/summer-tyres/nokian-line/

I really want a 215/65 to accommodate a 7.5" wheel

Best part they are only $120 each
http://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-11433-nokian-line-tires.aspx

Anyone have any data/experience with these?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian Line Tires Reply with quote

vw4life wrote:

Anyone have any data/experience with these?

Sorry. They are summer rated passenger car tires. Not rated for the weight/load of Vanagons/Westys.

Here is a great sticky thread re: Tires - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584507

Peter at Van Cafe probably still has Nokian WRG2 in 215/65/15. Also, there are other properly load rated Nokians available in 215/65/15. Pretty sure Van Cafe can get any/all of them.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running assorted "reinforced" Nokian tyres for over 15 years.
Top notch, quite ride, excellent wear and span of use.
I only consider the reinforced models for use on a Vanagon.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Nokian Line Tires Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:

vw4life wrote:

Sorry. They are summer rated passenger car tires. Not rated for the weight/load of Vanagons/Westys.

What is wrong with an XL passenger tire with a 100 load rating (1555lbs)? VW sold Vanagons new with a 97R (XL) rated passenger tire (1438lbs).
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the XL or "R" (reinforced) versions are reinforced and are excellent when used on a Vanagon
vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The load rating is 100XL. The tires van cafe WRG3 and Entyre are 99 XL.

Splitting hairs yes. But this is on a 1.9 Westy that will be loaded up for camping trips, never to see offroad. The 185 Agellis suck IMHO.

I have read the entire sticky on what tires fit, seen everybody has an opinon

Nobody has mentioned these and they are a fair discount compared to the WRG3 and Entyre and a better rating.

The tire arguement is never ending. I want an appropriate tire rated for a loaded westy carrying 4 adults, a tool box, full water tank, fridge full, surfboards and still am not convinced a 100 rated tire is safe.

This is an alternative to the standard WRG3/WRC/Hakka C/Entyre. Just looking to see if anyone has real experience with them and adding it to the what tires fit sticky gets no attention in its 27 pages of confusion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
What is wrong with an XL passenger tire with a 100 load rating (1555lbs)? VW sold Vanagons new with a 97R (XL) rated passenger tire (1438lbs).

The 215/65R15-XL tire in question has a load rating of 100, which translates to 1764 lbs. Given that it's a passenger car tire, it must be reduced by 9% despite being reinforced, which brings it down to 1606, which is still above the bare minimum load rating.

The unknown is: What is this tire's max. psi?

vw4life wrote:
Nobody has mentioned these

Perhaps because they are new to Nokian's lineup. Wink Additionally, a good majority of the folks around here look for a more aggressive tire because their vans go off-roading at times, so you may not receive much feedback on this particular tire.

vw4life wrote:
The tire arguement is never ending. I want an appropriate tire rated for a loaded westy carrying 4 adults, a tool box, full water tank, fridge full, surfboards and still am not convinced a 100 rated tire is safe.

VW installed 97-rated XL tires on these things when they were new, which met the bare minimum requirement.

vw4life wrote:
...adding it to the what tires fit sticky gets no attention in its 27 pages of confusion.

A) It's not 27 pages long.

B) That sticky was initially meant as a place for one-stop tire info... taking the hundreds of tire topics and combining them all into one post, along with currently-available and recommended tires. Once my laptop is back to operational status, I'll add this tire to the list.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

The 215/65R15-XL tire in question has a load rating of 100, which translates to 1764 lbs. Given that it's a passenger car tire, it must be reduced by 9% despite being reinforced, which brings it down to 1606, which is still above the bare minimum load rating.

You are correct, I had been off a line on the charts and derated a 99 load rated tire and not a 100 load rated tire.

I just don't know of any other vehicle where people worry this much about tire capacity. A P185/75r14 is not the correct tire for these rigs by a long shot, but that doesn't condemn all passenger tires.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the Hakka C Van and got a great deal at tiresbyweb.com and free shipping.

http://www.nokiantires.com/summer-tires/nokian-hakka-c-van/
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw4life wrote:

Like the Entyre, the Line is a reinforced Passenger tire

I prefer a Light Truck tire, NOT a reinforced Passenger tire.

Im a fan of Nokian WRC Van, though it does not come in your desired size.

maybe call Van-Cafe and get their input, they sell Nokian
denver_westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed Nokian eNTYRE 205/70R15XL 100T in spring 2014. I purchased them because the load rating and price ($94 each free shiping). They ride fine I needed to play with tire pressure a bit. However I'm not really impressed with the sidewall they are pretty flimsy I noticed it before installed I could deflect it easily with a finger probally will not last as long as my original stock michelins.
vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Denver westy!

I am looking for at wrc, need to get wheels fitted first to make sure I can clear the slider
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple years ago I bought 6 of those for my passenger Syncro, Nokian eNTYRE 205/70R15XL 100T. I also did not think the sidewall was as stout as I would like but so far so good and they have been off pavement several times with the van pretty loaded down.

Edit: I bought these eNTYRE tires online. Rated for 1764 lbs and 51 psi they meet the standards for Vanagon use. I have no complaints about their performance so far. But if I had a chance to examine a loose tire before my purchase I would not have bought them due to them having a single ply sidewall with a flimsy feel.

Mark

denver_westy wrote:
I installed Nokian eNTYRE 205/70R15XL 100T in spring 2014. I purchased them because the load rating and price ($94 each free shiping). They ride fine I needed to play with tire pressure a bit. However I'm not really impressed with the sidewall they are pretty flimsy I noticed it before installed I could deflect it easily with a finger probally will not last as long as my original stock michelins.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: