Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need more room for tires
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: I need more room for tires Reply with quote

I recently put new tires on the rail, and am not exactly pleased with them. I went from a 31x10.50 15 to a 265x75 15 and while I gained room, I gave up top speed. Since almost all of my driving is highway speeds, I am really missing those last few mph. The reason for the drop in size was the original tires were rubbing on the torsion cap.

So, if I trade out my torsion bars for the short ones, how much is my ride going to suffer? How much should I REALISTICALLY budget to get the parts ? Has anyone here done it, and are there regrets?

Thanks,
Bob
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put a set of 3x3 arms on it you can run just about any size tire you want, watch your local Craigslist, people sell them all the time. Do you have wide 5 wheels or 4 lug? If can find some 16" wheel there's a 285/75/16 that pretty tall.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would require going to a longer axle too, right? I'd also have to move/remount my rear fenders. I really am hoping a torsion bar swap will be easiest.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fishybastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has the shorter bars on it. Bought it that way. Doesn't ride bad at all
InkyLewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I changed mine to short bars it didn't change the ride at all. As long as they are the same size bars the ride should stay the same.
InkyLewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I changed mine to short bars it didn't change the ride at all. As long as they are the same size bars the ride should stay the same.
DHale_510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRS spring plates for short torsions are all aftermarket and expensive, about the same price as new longer axles.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can cut down the swing axle spring plates to work with the IRS trailing arms. I did it years ago before there were after market spring plates.
You can take measurements from the IRS spring plate to use to cut and drill holes in the swingaxle plates.
And depending on what you are planning on using your vehicle for, don't discount the use of the Chinese made spring plates. They work for a play car that not being over stress. I am using them on a street buggy with stock diameter torsion bars.
I personally would not use them with a larger than stock diameter torsion bars or something that has more travel then stock.
And going to the short torsion bar even though they are both 22mm diameter does raise the spring rate. In a heavy vehicle it may be an advantage if you are bottoming out the suspension now.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: