Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front of my baja smells like gas
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
60 baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Front of my baja smells like gas Reply with quote

So lately my baja has been my daily driver, i only go a couple miles to school, but the front end smells like gas and now i am not parking in the garage because it smells up my garage and is probably sketchy anyway. I am running what I believe is a 61-67 fuel tank and just replaced the cork gasket on the handle for the gas hole. Do you guys think it is a line under the tank leaking? Or is it the metal line in the tunnel? It doesnt smell as much in the interior so i dont think it is. Also, I havent seen what it looks like from the bottom, is there a metal line that goes from the tank to the fuel pump and then a soft line from the fuel pump to the one in the tunnel? My gauge sender is pretty old too, would the gasket for that leak a lot of fumes out too?
Thanks
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it smell like gas under the hood or just outside the vehicle?

Under your tank.... there is a rubber line and/or a filter.
The rubber line routes the fuel from the tank to the line inside the tunnel.
The rubber line is usually long enough so that you can attach it to the tank while the tank is removed from its mounting frame area on the body, this will cause it to be bent, curved and sometimes curled.... Depends on who last replaced it.
The bending of the line makes it crack and leak after time and elements have taken a tole on the rubber.

The sender gasket shouldn't leak as long as it hasn't been removed and the original sealing area from the compression of the sender to the tank hasn't been disturbed, that's shouldn't but it is possible most definately.

I'd check into the hose under the tank first.
Then everything on the underside of the tank, rust holes are another contributor to fuel smell.

And yes, the rear of the car has a metal line that exits the tunnel with a section of rubber hose attached to it before it reaches the engine bay.

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your set up is real simple - But after you look at what has been discussed, you may want to look at something else. Recently bought a 66 project and hooked up a temporary gas can up front to move the car around. Pulled it into my storage garage. Smelled gas without the tank hooked up, but figured I spilled some here and there. Next day notice bad gas smell abd a spot upder the car near passenger front seat. Apparently my metal line through the tunnel is bad. Gas will lay in there until it can find a hole to drip out of. Smell around your shifter and E brake and see if thats where the odor is worse. If thats what it seems like, pop the shifter and you may see a puddle of gas in the tunnel.

There are posts about replacing that line if thats your problem.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
race-desert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it smells under hood-mine was as simple as the gas cap! the rubber seal had cracked pretty bad! i also changed the vent line while i was there......
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Front of my baja smells like gas Reply with quote

60 baja wrote:
So lately my baja has been my daily driver, i only go a couple miles to school, but the front end smells like gas

Splish splash I was smellin some gas.....

It's now your daily driver. You'll notice it more and you probably gassed it up pretty high anticipating your drive to school and now your overflow tube might be peeing out under your hood somewhere, especially if you went from old cork to a new rubber seal.Check it out, you'll figure it out.

I always smell gas when driving. Hell, I can see the tank through my dash, and the highway. Cool
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the lip around the edges of the tank. my tank when i bought my baja looked to be in great condition, upon lifting it out of the spot because i was smelling gas. there were pin holes along the bottom edge where it rests on the body. something to look for.
60 baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the info!
60 baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i pulled out the tank and it ended up being some rotted fuel lines so now all the rubber lines on my baja (brakes and fuel) are new
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is the back rubber line? Dont let your baja end its life in flames

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: