Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing side windows
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Installing side windows Reply with quote

How hard is it to install the side windows on the 412? I went to a glass place and they said they needed 2 days to do it. I have the replacement window seals but not the time for them to do it (I thought if I dropped it off in the morning going it would be something they would have done in the afternoon). I did not think it would be anymore difficult than any other car.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not any more difficult but it is time consuming. You have a wagon...all four windows?

Cool! where did you get the seals?

You should not have too many problems doing this yourself. Even with the side windows being small its good to have a spare pair of hands.

You need some thin poly coated cord....like clothesline cord but smaller works good. Some large weed eater line works well. Use a silicone lube at best...or vaseline at worst. Do not use WD-40...do not use soap.

Both of those can be hard on the rubber and they dry too fast. Start by putting the rubber on the glass with a sealer like 3M in the groove. Let it dry...clean up the edges.
Insert the bottom of the glass complete to both corners with the cord wrapped around and the loose ends at the bottom.
Since you have it started at the bottom....pull the cord while applying light pressure on the glass close to the gasket. This is where the extra hand come in.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got lucky. Someone had who had them custom made totalled his car and was parting it out. he had them in for less than a year. A lot better than the ones currently on there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: