Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Shaking At Idle...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thing... have you checked your spark plugs aren't fouled? the carb cleaning may have disloged some gunk. this would increase the affected plug(s) resistance and cause misfires and more wear on the coil.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadmock wrote:

On a side note--I made a left turn yesterday in 3rd gear-normally I shift to 2nd before turns. When I parked after the turn, I could smell a strong burning smell. I didn't smell it at all at any of the several red lights I encountered before my destination. The smell went way and I didn't smell it again yesterday or on today's drive. Any cause for concern? This was after 8.5 miles (with plenty of red lights). Parking brake was Off, Clutch seems to be working fine.

Might be a bit of oil leaking out of your valve cover and pouring onto your heat exchanger/exhaust on the right side. Check to see if there's oil on top of it and check the valve cover is not oily.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
shadmock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GArBa & Volks Wagen,

Thank you for the advice-I will try crawling under the exhaust this weekend to look for leaks/holes. The possibility of the first shop puncturing the exhaust with their lift had crossed my mind. As far as checking the spark plugs-is there any trick to getting a socket in there w/o stripping the plugs (as far as reinstalling your plugs)? I noticed the awkward angle when pulling the plug cables to check for dirt/disconnection after a few members mentioned them as a possible problem. Apologies for all the questions-I'm just starting out and want to take good maintenance/mechanical care with this bug!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadmock wrote:
As far as checking the spark plugs-is there any trick to getting a socket in there w/o stripping the plugs (as far as reinstalling your plugs)? I noticed the awkward angle when pulling the plug cables to check for dirt/disconnection after a few members mentioned them as a possible problem.

1. Remember that the plugs extend out directly perpendicular to the VW's north-south line, and are are tilted up.

2. I've ground down my spark plug socket exterior using my bench grinder (wear goggles) for more clearance.
Sorry - I'd have to take and upload a photo, don't have one available now.

I don't use a piece of rubber tubing like some do, to guide in the plugs a few full turns. I use the plug socket and a 3-inch extension on one plug on each side, and for the other plug on each side I add a 1.5 inch extension. No - I don't remember if #1 or #2 takes the extra 1.5 inch extension. So I use those to screw in by hand several turns before I add the ratchet.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
shadmock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh-ha-Thanks Cusser-these are good things to know!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: